main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What would you prefer, a beaten up universe OT, or prestine one like the PT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Jimstarwarsfan

Jimstarwarsfan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    One thing i loved about the OT was the beaten up imperfect look to craft etc. As the PT was a more perfect looking galaxy what would you prefer to see in episode 7.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean by beaten up or pristine universe?? Please elaborate on the question......

3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Balance. Not too much crazy CGI, and better effects than the 80s.
    The film needs to revolve around characters and plot, not fancy technology.

4. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    In The OT the ships and technology had a used and beaten up look. In the PT the Ships were CG perfect looking without a scratch. I just like the imperfect look.

5. Jimstarwarsfan

Oct 30, 2012
    I agree. balance would be nice.

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Both.

If the plot revolves around a galaxy in the aftermath of war and worlds trying to recover there would be a lot of old beat up craft and technology, but there good be new ships and gadgets too as society is rebuilding.

7. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    beaten up in a prestine way..

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A bit of both, but leaning more towards beaten up.
    They got too carried away in PT with the CGI, everything looks shining new and technologically far superior to what they had 30 years later.

dolphin and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  9. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Somewhere in between, the new republic coming out of the age of the empire, things being rebuilt or updated/grated. Plus I have a hard time believing that just because there was an evil Empire means that production stopped on top model machinery including transports and facilities, look at the SE ending of ROTJ, look at Coruscant, stuff looks pristine. A mixture would be the way to go I feel.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    It is meant to be. The Empire brought about an era of functionality in design over aesthetics.

And bare in mind, the prequels are mainly set on "civilised" worlds whereas the originals are set on backward planets and the rebels are using modified tech.

So it elreally isn't that different.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I prefer Pristine......

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    The Empire didn't stop production - it just became geared towards them.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I'd like a contrast. Some pristine stuff and some gritty.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  14. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    If Good is in control the Galaxy should be pristine.

If Evil is in control things the Galaxy should be beaten up.

We will see.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    That's a good way to comprimise both cool ideas.............

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I wanna see the OT characters in a shiny PT Setting....................

17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Why do people always say the PT's ships didn't have a scratch on them? I never got where people took that rubbish assertion from, because it's so easy to dispute that silly claim:

The only pristine and shiny ships in the PT are from Naboo, because they are a classy, peaceful civilisation with a focus on culture and aesthetics. The Renaissance Planet. It makes perfect sense, contextually. Why would they invest so much in visually pleasing architecture and clothing, yet fly around in a piece of junk? And yet even the little military hardware they have, Naboo Fighters and Flash Speeders, have smoke streaks at their gun and exhaust ports.

More importantly, all the vehicles on Tatooine in TPM and AOTC (Pod Racers, Landspeeders, Swoop Bikes, etc.) look worn and dinged up, just like their OT counterparts.

Furthermore, go check out the Republic's and Separatist's vehicles. In AOTC and ROTS they are worn-down with scratches everywhere, even at the beginning of the Clone Wars. Not quite as worn down as the Rebel's vehicles of course, but then again, only the Rebels (and Han) in the OT had battle damaged, patchwork ships, because they are poor underdogs. The Empire had cleaner ships in the OT than the Republic did in the PT, because the Empire drain's the galaxy's money towards their own military as they wish.

It's all about context. You focus on the underdogs in the OT, you're going to see their beat-up ships for most of the screen time. You focus on a aesthetically wealthy planet in TPM, their ships are going to reprise that wealth. But that's just one planet out of a whole galaxy, which on top of that, already gets contrasted by a poor, desolate, backwater planet run by a crime syndicate twenty-odd-minutes into the first movie.

Yet some people jump to the silly conclusion that pristine Naboo ships = every single ship in the PT and turn it into unfounded, uninformed, nonsensical criticism.
    Just watch the movies and pay attention to the details, before slagging them off. It's all there, clear as day, on the screen.

So what kind of universe are we going to see in the ST?
    A diverse one, as we always have gotten in SW.
    We'll get a bit of everything, probably. It always depends in which settings the story is taking place and in which state the galaxy is at the time.

18. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I prefer beaten up, they could justify it with an economic crisis, or because a war. I think pristine is not interesting.

19. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'd like a balance of both. For example the standard of life on Coruscant is much different than Tatooine. On Coruscant everything should be clean, new and over the top as it has been portrayed. Tatooine is a dust bowl planet that isn't the shining beacon of newness.

20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Exactly - Empire digs are pretty pristine in the OT. We saw lots of gritty because underground poor people are gritty.

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Well said. ;)

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  22. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I get what you're at. It's similar to my question about set design. I want the beat up look.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The grittier, the better.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    We need a balance. In OT we had underdogs, farmers and various shifty characters (smugglers, bounty hunters). The PT is a civilized time with the focus on the senators and jedi. But things start deteriorate with the Clone Wars. Both trilogies share Tatooine as a down-trodden place. For the third trilogy, 50/50 would be perfect. Our heroes are not underdogs any more but there still might be various underworld dealings or people from poor planets. Even Coruscant has some seedy areas, just like your normal megapolis.

25. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I like the look of things in the OT and it should mostly look that way. The only things that should look perfect, like in the PT, are Coruscant and anything that someone important like a politician is flying in.