main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What would you prefer, a beaten up universe OT, or prestine one like the PT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd love to see something like a tribal species (it doesn't have to be Ewoks) living in the ruins of a crashed Star Destroyer. An image like that would be great, even if only for a second or two. Your post just popped that image into my brain for some reason.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Gotta have a place to keep your stormtrooper helmet drum kit!

3. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Like a lot of people, I'd like to see a balance. Think about it: the PT galaxy look pristine because the cultures had time to burn on art in their designs and architectures. If the ST galaxy is rebuilding itself after the Dark Times, then maybe we don't see as much artistic sleekness as with Naboo or upper-class Coruscant, but surely the galactic denizens have time to spare on giving their droids oil baths or taking their starships in to the body shop once in a while.

4. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think this really depends on the way Episode VII shows how the galaxy has gone in the years since ROTJ. If the Empire is gone, I want to see everything clean and bright to reflect the 'new age' which has dawned on the galaxy. If the galaxy has instead fallen into chaos thanks to the power vacumn left after the Empire's collapse, everything should be beaten down to reflect 30 more years of galactic war. The plot should drive the look.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Balance for me as well. I am really not interested in a bunch of pristine, high gloss designs/buildings like Naboo, but at the same time, I think I've had my fill of beaten up, half covered X-Wings and Y-Wings.

what I would really like to see is NEW TECHNOLOGY! There were a few advancements between PT and OT, the mini-hyperdrive in smaller ships, and skin-grafted prosthetics, for example...Since this ST will likely take place over 30 years later, I would love to see advancements like that-and even bigger ones: like the discovery of some entirely new technology (weapon or whatever) or ship designs!

I'll be interested to see what they come up with...

6. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    It seems we really have a false dichotomy developing about the looks of the two trilogies. I don't think the two trilogies have different looks as a result of different eras and different levels of technology. Judging by the Old Republic games, the level of technology has been practically static for thousands of years. Nothing changes except for styles, and even those follow distinct patterns. The PT appears "pristine" compared to the OT only because it includes two planets the OP does not: Naboo and Coruscant. By focusing on those two planets, the prequels give us a glimpse into the upper class of the Republic, the aristocrats and the political elite. As soon as we focus on anything but those two planets in the prequels, everything starts to look like the OP again. Here a bunch of examples:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The above ships are not any less "gritty" than these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

These are just as lived in and gritty looking as these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] And I'll be Force choked if these aren't the same brand: [​IMG]

And so on and so forth. The fact is, the saga has always been consistent technologically. With this new trilogy, they simply need to mesh the two trilogies together, since that technology already exists simultaneously. We may not feel like it, but the two ships below exist in the same time period:

[​IMG][​IMG]

That's right. The cameo made by the YT-1300 freighter (the Falcon's model) in AotC bears this out. The difference between these two ships is not time, it's class. We don't see the above ships at the same time since the PT focuses on politicians and dignitaries while the OT focuses on farm boys and smugglers. For me, what I want to see in the new trilogy depends entirely on what is being depicted. Who are the characters? What planet are they from, what are there backrounds? These answers to these questions should be the deciding factor in what sort of look the film has, imho. If we meet a dignitary from Naboo, I expect to see them arrive in a Nubian yacht. Pirates from the outer rim should be in funky looking freighters, etc, etc. This goes for the look of films in general. I'm just using ship designs as yardstick.

Sorry for the long post. Finding all those pictures was way too much fun!

7. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I'd like a prestine story in a beaten up universe ;)

in all seriousness,

moderation of both is a good thing.

8. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    A mix of the two. The Galaxy should still be recovering from the Empire.

9. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Like most people, I'd like a mix of worn and pristine, depending on what kind of world we're seeing and the overall political/economic stability of the galaxy. I suppose it'll depend on whether/how long the Empire has fallen and a New Republic or some other benevolent, or at least non-oppressive, galactic-wide government has taken its place.

Also, I hope for a return to mostly physical sets and models, like in the OT, and avoiding an overuse of CGI like we saw in the PT. Sure, use CGI for massive space battles and exotic aliens, but physical sets should IMO be used whenever possible. Not only do I believe they genuinely look more real than CGI sets, but it's known that actors feel more at ease acting on a physical set with actual walls, furniture and other objects they can see and directly interact with than in front of a green screen. And there should be no battle between two armies of purely CGI creatures, as happened in Phantom Menace. I consider the Gungan/droids battle one of the nadirs of the whole movie series. It looked fake, it felt fake, and Jar Jar Binks "fighting" with his kind meant I was rooting for the droids to exterminate the Gungans before their inevitable defeat.

10. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I'd like a mix of the two, every planet would be different depending on how touched by war it was in the OT and beyond. Kind of like World War II.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  11. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    prestine. It's the logical progression.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    This.
    Ever see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? The whole movie was shot with bluescreen. And the actors - good, experienced, talented actors - all gave the most wooden performances I've ever seen from them. At the other end of the spectrum, listen to the actors' commentary on LotR; many of them were thankful for the amazing physical sets and props, and gave them credit for helping get in character and deliver excellent acting performances.

13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think this might be a very important issue in the ST. For me, it has to wrap up the OT and PT and give love to both and please both sets of audiences who loved them (and those that loved both). So a mixture of the two. Coruscant in particular is important as it did not feature nor mentioned apart from the final scenes in ROTJ. Id like to see ruined parts of the city showing how an vicious Empire can scar a place despite 30 years since the Emperor was killed. I believe there should be some form of Imperial Remnants (ex- Imperials in places we used to see the Rebels?) Really loved the idea above of the Ewoks living in the star destroyer!! Id like to see the junkyard and cemmetry worlds, id love to see ruined and twisted remnants of the two trilogies...like a city version of the Jawa sandcrawler, maybe broken Naboo fighters (really tattered), bits of AT AT's and Ig droids just waiting to be reactivated :) :) This is the scene in my own imagination id like to see.

14. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    It would be nice for them to go back to Naboo and it isn't the paradise we saw in the PT, maybe years of war and Plapy taking stuff out on it (speculation) has reduced it to a "hive of scum and villainy" kinda like some of our own cities were destroyed in WW2

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  15. ree_yees

ree_yees Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2013
    beaten up and used. never liked the look of the PT ships and world.

16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd prefer for an entirely new look. You know, one unique to the ST as the first two trilogies had their unique feels?

Why does everyone think that this trilogy HAS to imitate either of the two trilogies before it? Can't it be its own?

17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    because a lot of people would like it to be consistent and to flow 1-9, i think it should have its own definitive look but adhere to the endless mirroring in the first two, so that should continue i think... ie. a rescue, a rope swing swashbuckle, a ship at the beginning in space, a light sabre battle etc

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I know that. I wasn't saying the ST should abandon the Star Wars traditions, but I'm saying that it should have its own feel. The PT and the OT both maintained the same core Star Wars feel, yet still each had their own distinct flavor. Know what I mean?

FRAGWAGON and Dasan like this.
  19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i think we have agreed on that one somehow

Seagoat likes this.
  20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I will take real locations/sets over CGI worlds any day of the week. CGI worlds look like you are watching a video game as real locations hold up better. But I understand this is 2013, so I believe they will use a balance of both. So my ideal compromise is TPM as that had both a good combination of real & CGI locations & effects.

Dasan likes this.
  21. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    wonder if that rumour of them filming in scotland is true....wonder what world that could be?

22. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    My understanding is that it is not a rumor: they are indeed going to be filming in Scotland. Which is great news, since that indicates to me that we are about to see a new planet! It's also seems to indicate more shooting on location, which is awesome! There are some things that simply shouldn't be CGI, and good sets are one of them. Can you imagine if Dagobah had been mostly green screen?

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  23. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    If you don't want the ships, equipment, buildings, etc. etc. to look battered or pristine, then how do you want them to look? Simply slightly used? That might escape viewers' notice.

So what did you think of the ground battle between two purely CGI armies, the Gungans and the battle droids, at the end of Phantom Menace? To me that remains one of the worst overuse of CGI I've ever seen, and not just in Star Wars.

MODified: I used your Edit button for you. Please do so, instead of stacking/doubling posts in a row. Your second post is deleted and its content is now in this one.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I've already postulated that the ST will be a perfect balance between the PT (dark side) and the OT (light side) and solely because of that, most other things, even the minor things like that, will follow suit. You know how George loves his rhyming poetry

25. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i loved the Naboo lake and palace let down by that awful battlefield that was way too green! Some more real locations would be great too. The timeline of production may help knit the trilogies together as the elements of cgi will hark back to 1-3 and hopefully a more natural look will please the OT crowd

Sean Sinclair likes this.