main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What would you prefer, a beaten up universe OT, or prestine one like the PT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Hey! Wait a minute there. Don't start confusing people with facts. That gets in the way of their theories!

LOL!

Yes I do find that a bit odd especially in the sense that one of the point is that in the OT there are nice ships as well. The balance of what is beat up and not isn't quite what people think it to be. The blockade runner looks quite nice and 2001 and the Death Star is pretty good as well. If the OT was a used universe then the PT is a slightly less used universe. The larger point I think isn't about use as such but in the PT there hasn't been war for 1,000 years so things are made nicer with colours etc while the OT universe things are more built for function as opposed to beauty.

It's not like we really went to many nices place like Naboo, Coruscant and the like before the PT. The best looking place they went was probably the peaceful Cloud City.

I expect that in the ST you'd have some mix of both where some places have been rebuilt and look great while others are left to rot.

maychild and FRAGWAGON like this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    To me the look of the galaxy is one of the characters in the film. So it really depends on where the story is going. I could go either way: pristine or used, depending on where the story is going.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it on-topic to say that Rebels will have an OT look?

4. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    It needs to be balanced, I absolutely LOVE the visuals in the Prequels, but I still respect the effects of the Original Trilogy as well. If you think about it canonically the new movies will most likely take place in an era where the empire is not what it used to be, and the good guys trying to rebuild (even if it is mostly rebuild there must be a different look) so it would make sense to have a mixture of practical effects and visuals.

Immortiss likes this.
  5. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    The PT was not "perfect looking." Things tended to be cleaner and shinier, at least in the first movie, but the first movie took place prior to galactic war breaking out. In other words, people had time to take care of their ships beyond making sure they functioned properly, which includes cleaning/polishing them. The Queen's ship was shiny and clean because it was a Queen's ship. Kind of like I imagine Air Force One is always kept clean and shiny for the President of the United States to travel in.

Same with their living areas. Or at least, the well-to-do living areas. Anakin and Shmi's hut didn't look all that clean and shiny to me, nor did Watto's shop. The Trade Federation's battle droids and transports looked scratched-up and dented to me.
    Not really. Obi Wan's ship needs a hyperspace ring in order to jump to lightspeed. The Trade Federation's droids are mass-controlled by a single ship in Episode I. The blasters and lightsabers look about the same. The only technology I can think of that looks "superior" is the communication device seen in the beginning of Episode I, when the Queen is communicating with the Nemoidians.

I don't care what the Red Letter Moron says; he rarely knows what he's talking about anyway. Likewise with David Prowse, who is so allergic to even minimal research that he blithely said, prior to Episode III (which he thought he deserved a role in, despite badmouthing the prequels non-stop -- he hated the prequels but wanted to be a part of them; isn't that called Red-headed Stepchild Syndrome?), that Hayden Christensen is "only 5'9" and thus too short to fit in the Vader suit. Never mind that Hayden is 6'1", which is the same height as Bob Anderson -- Anderson wore the Vader suit during the duels in ESB and ROTJ, and no one knew it wasn't Prowse during those scenes until Mark Hamill publicly revealed otherwise.

And CGI wasn't used as extensively in the PT as we're supposed to think. I've said this elsewhere, more than once, but there were more models and miniatures used in each individual PT movie than in all three of the OT movies combined.
    No they weren't, except for the Queen's ship, which, as per above, was a Queen's ship.

FRAGWAGON and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    I think this is likely true. There could be other factors involved, however. If they have successfully regained control of the Republic, they would have much greater resources at their disposal. I wonder if we won't see a shiny New Republic fleet in place of the Rebel Fleet, with the Imperial forces now scrounging for material and looking more haphazard. Who knows!

A lot of it depends on what happened in the thirty years since the OT. Did the Rebels form a New Republic, and with it, a New Republic military force? Or squabble for power while the Imperial forces regained their strength? Did an era of peace begin and was the idea of a Republic fleet abolished? Each of these scenarios would effect the look of the trilogy, in my opinion.

I personally hope things haven't changed completely, and that there are ships still clearly recognizable as being in the same line as an X-wing, or A-wing or what you have you. The Imperial forces in ANH looked like they evolved out of the Republic Army in RotS, and I want the sequel trilogy ships to look have an analogous relationship to the designs in RotJ.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant the tv show Rebels.

8. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Exactly! I am so sick of the claims that the OT looked lived-in while the PT looked pristine. Both the OT and the PT had examples of shiny, pristine locales and ships and beat-up, lived-in ones. It's a false dichotomy.

FRAGWAGON, Dasan and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Prequel style, but I think we will get a mix, which will make sense. The Rebels are rebuilding but the Empire has just been on a 20+ year crash course of destruction.

10. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    Oooooh, my bad. Well, the answer to that is really interesting. Apparently, a lot of the concept designs are going to come from Ralph Mcquarrie's original concept art for ANH, concepts that weren't completely used, to make it look pre-OT. So it's going to look proto-OT, which sounds really cool to me.

Indeed. I wrote a very lengthy post a while back, with many examples of why the differences between the two trilogies actually aren't that great, but many people seemed to go right past it. That myth is not going to die easy...

maychild and FRAGWAGON like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree with the first statement, and I'd say it's totally because TPM was shot on 35mm while AOTC and ROTS were shot on digital HD-cameras. HD was still at an experimental stage back then and color depth, grain and contrast had not reached a very high level yet. Hence the films look more artificial - even though they still had practical effects, real sets and real locations.