main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC what would you put in the space capsule?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

submission to a diety for salvation is a common theme of many many religions, from pureland buddhism to islam, dawg.

and while torah typically refers to teh pentateuch (first five books of the tanakh, "tanakh" referring to what you people call "old testament") within judaism it can have a much broader meaning, including the other books of the tanakh and even midrash and the talmud and other works of rabbinical judaism

2. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Islam teaches that several works - including martyrdom - are necessary for Allah's acceptance, and the Buddha was an atheist. By comparison, Jesus said that only those who personally accept His sacrifice on their behalf will be redeemed by God the Father.

I wasn't aware of the broader Jewish context for the Torah, though; thanks for the info.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's actually really unlikely given his continued references to Hindu deities throughout the Pali Canon. Siddhartha Gautama was raised Hindu, taught by Hindus, and probably believed in certain aspects of Hinduism until he died. Buddhism refutes various Hindu beliefs but does not reject the possibility of god(s) - which, for the Buddha, probably meant he was a-okay with Brahman if nothing else.

And really, what Pure Landers believe is more or less independent of what the Buddha himself thought of the god question, they are very much of the belief that divine intervention on the part of gods and Bodhisattvas is essential to enlightenment.

Ender Sai and Rogue_Ten like this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    "martyrdom" is not one of the five pillars of islam, first of all. second of all the only requirement to become a muslim is to affirm and accept god's truth, the shahada, which goes "there is no god but god and muhammad is his prophet". the other four pillars are negotiable. for instance, you only have to go on hajj (visit to the holy land for a pilgrimage at a specific time of year at least once in your life, the fourth pillar) if you can afford it. much like how in evangelical christianity you're supposed to do all this stuff like not bone down unless you're married to the person you're boning down with, but the only thing you really need to do is affirm and accept god's truth, grace/the gospel, which goes "save me jeebus"

another pet peeve of mine - are you aware that "allah" is just the arabic word "god"? middle eastern christians call god "allah" too. if you were born christian in the middle east, he would be "allah" in your mother tongue as well. the attempt to talismanically distinguish yourself from islam by overusing "allah" is creepy. dont do it

also while it is debatable whether it is fair to describe any particular buddha or buddhism as a whole as "atheist", (i tend to call nonsense on those claims due to the enmeshed nature of hinduism and buddhism and the prevalence of immortal buddhas and boddhisatvas) i presume you are referring to siddhartha gautama, also called shakyamuni, since that's the buddha most americans are familiar with. and while in many strains of buddhism it is true that salvation comes through personal effort, in pureland buddhism, which is based around the buddha amitabha, (who, unlike guatama, is more of a mythological, godlike character than a human who existed and supposedly achieved enlightenment) you kind of pray to boddhisatvas for help in achieving escape from samsara, (the cycle of eternal death and rebirth) which makes it much more reminiscent of the abrahamic faiths than other strains of buddhism.

for the future, i would suggest you not use your bible school education to argue comparative religions with someone who studied anthropology at a real university, unless you're prepared to be continually smacked down

Mortimer Snerd and Ender Sai like this.
  5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The Bible is true because it says it is. Duh.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Take the religious arguments to the Thunderdome please.

Juliet316, DarthTunick and harpua like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's unintentionally hilarious, I think. :p

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I refuse to believe that that was intended to be taken seriously.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I knew that had to be Australia or New Zealand. They have the most amazing, least effective PSAs ever there. :p

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I mean good grief it was like the Salad Days Monty Python sketch.

16. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    A very difficult question. There are many things which if put in, would probably put aliens off completely from coming to the planet (and are embarrassing, to say the least...) but on the other hand, if the stuff which would keep aliens away was put in, it might be to their benefit!

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That PSA is from a comedy team in Australia - think Funny or Die.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I saw that description too.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ah okay... I see. It's still amazing. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Every single Nic Cage movie ever made.

22. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    All high schoolers have a transmitter placed inside their body somewhere. Any attempt to escape and they BLOW YOU UP- BOOM!

We need to put a rabid wolverine or badger in cryogenic freeze and put it in the capsule. That'll show any alien lifeform that stumbles across it what will happen if they mess with Earth!