main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What would your lightsaber form be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbarracuda, Apr 14, 2015.

1. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    So kind of a sith lanvarok froM the old Eu
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_lanvarok
    But as Sarge pointed out the smalles that lightsaber tech seems to be able to get is Yodas lightsaber which would be a shoto for a human sized jedi( off hand weapon like a european parrying dagger in rapier fencing or the japaanes wakazaki, which I know I just spelled wrong.)

Sarge likes this.
  2. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    Makashi. I admire the elegance in the opening stance.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and DBPirate like this.
  3. BriXman

BriXman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2015
    Yes, like one of those. And of course as Sarge pointed out, it wouldn't be possible. However, I might be wrong here and in that case correct me if you wish, but blasters use a similar technology, only that they launch a bolt instead of maintaining it. And these technologies are very small compared to lightsaber technologies (as blaster bolts can be reflected by lightsabers), so maybe they could be fit into a bigger shuriken (I'd say something around 10-12cm), if modified not to launch it. I'm just thinking out loud but yeah. Anyway, I'd love to have something like that. And/or an Ezra style lightsaber, with a built in blaster.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We've seen how adjustable Kanan's lightsaber is - it can be adjusted to Kanan-length or Ezra-length. In the EU, Anakin's was the same, only more so - it could be shortened right down to "burglary-tool" in size.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    Ataru or Makashi probably. I love incorporation flips and jumps, but there is something regal about a fencing style that captivates me

6. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    I tend to wait for opportunities for counterattacks, but I detest proper footwork. I also tend to unpredictably unleash fast series of fierce attacks

Overall, I would say Djem So (Form V)

Honorable mentions: Makashi (Form II) and Vapaad (Form VII)

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I once won a fencing match with nothing but footwork. I noticed as I circled to the left, my opponent circled to his left and crossed his feet. I timed a sudden lunge to catch him at the opportune moment, he moved to retreat, tangled his feet, and tripped and fell on his butt right in front of me. Never cross your feet when your opponent is in range. Footwork is the foundation of effective fighting, the house built on solid rock, as it were.

8. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011

Thanks for the good advice! It's just something I need to work on. For instance, I was on a swim team throughout my childhood into high school, and I would barely kick. Instead, since I'm tall, I would just concentrate on strokes instead of kicks. Got to start sometime though lol

Sarge likes this.
  9. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    Which one is this ( if this is a legit lightsaber form ).

This was me from way back and I'm was a total noob at the time. I'm way better now.

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Makashi with a hint of Juyo.

Trained by Dooku before he turned Dark (but he was still able to give me choke and lightning and Yoda still let me keep the powers). Two blue lightsabers, but then one because I lost it in Order 66, then red and blue because I got Dooku's, followed by one blue one again.

Yeah, I really thought this through.

11. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Primary would be Soresu, secondary would be Makashi.

12. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015

Why just kidding? I'm the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about the forms. Is vaapad like a joke or something? That's what Mace Windu uses correct? Is it seen as a bastardized form of juyo or something? Juyo is form 7 right?

anyway, like I said, I don't know enough about the forms to truly answer this question, but I will try anyway. I believe Form III: Soresu(sp?) is the defensive form, and probably what I would go with. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would probably also study some Form IV: Ataru(sp?), which I believe is the more acrobatic, aggressive form to balance it out. Again feel free to correct me if I am not naming the correct forms.

13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Vaapad is supposed to be the most difficult lightsaber form of them all. You practically have to use the Dark Side without succumbing to it. Imagine a Kung Fu form that makes you break a mans neck without severing his spine. That's Vaapad.

14. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. I think I vaguely recall hearing that before. I thought Vaapad was something Mace Windu came up with himself, and involved using powerful emotions in battle, ie skirting the edge of the Dark Side. Your description is much more complete and makes sense. I'd just like to point out that I find it ironic/hypocritical that the Jedi Council is okay with Windu being a Vaapad user, but having romantic relationships is still "No way! Never! You'll fall to the Dark Side!"

I mean I get that Mace Windu is a powerful and highly respected member of the Council so they probably made an exception, but it's still kinda dumb. Maybe if Anakin was allowed to plow Padme openly he wouldn't have been so busy sneaking around talking to Dark Side users about living forever and wouldn't have become the most evil thing since sliced bread for a few decades.

Meh, maybe it's just me, but the super strict Jedi dogma has always been interesting to me in the sense of "why don't more people challenge that line of reasoning?". This is probably why I really liked games like KOTOR that have characters directly question this aloud (including the player character if you so choose). I particularly liked Jolee Bindo's little speech about love being able to save you rather than corrupt you EVEN despite his own tragic Dark-Side lover story that he relates to the player if you pester him hard enough.

This is also why I think people shouldn't totally discount the Rey being Luke's kid idea just because Luke is a Jedi and 'has to follow the code'. I think Luke is the perfect character to question the old ways of the Jedi and take a wife/lover anyway. Well he did in EU at least...

ANYWAY, back on topic: Since my first post I read through the Wookiepedia page on lightsaber forms. I still like my first answer of Form 3 with a little Form 4 mixed in, but after reading through the page it seems like Form 5 Shien/Dem Sho(sp?) is already kind of a mix of Forms 3&4 + others, so perhaps that would be something that would fit a little better.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Mine would be Soresu, since I need to protect myself. It served Obi-Wan well.

16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I'd make my own style,

a fluid one that doesn't have form,

much like Jeet Kune Do.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ The form of no form, Dandelo?

Dandelo likes this.
  18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Form II: The Count's choice.

Keeping it classy.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  19. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Sarge: when you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, when you put water into the teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash.

Be water my friend ;)

Sarge likes this.
  20. amforced_lightsabingyou

amforced_lightsabingyou Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2015
    ^

We've seen multiple lightsaber forms being used dexterously in combat, there should be no one formula for every fight. Personally I do not prefer self pursued methods which is one reason why people always lose when fighting. Have you ever fight? Obviously, you can't win without a determination. Which is why your fighting style is definitively Shii Cho where you develop your skills and conditioning.

I don't really see any reason not to pick Shien, Ataru or Niman, but I much prefer the Jedi Academy's Fast, Medium and Strong Styles which are basic and highly effective since I don't like putting myself at risk.