main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What would your reaction be to the next SW film if it's very formulaic but very well-made?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It should be called a Star Wars film. ;)

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I want a see a story where it looks bleak for our heroes in the first two movies but in the third film things are worked out that makes them heroes again. But that's the hard part, isn't it? I wish Michael Arndt a lot of luck, though.

3. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    I would have fun watching either one of them.

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I would be disappointed.

I would much rather prefer something tremendously flawed but ambitious than a staid and conventional film.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Even if it's well made, I'd still be disappointed. Star Wars is supposed to represent something much greater in cinema, dumbing it down to a cheap popcorn flick would take away from its legacy. Of all things, I hope we don't get a rehash of the OT.

That being said, I'm open to new ideas, so long as it's in line with what the previous film's established.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Depending on what we mean by formula. I think ROTJ and TPM were too similar to ANH in formula. Too repetitive. I don't want to see any of that again. The other three were much better as a consequence of being their own story. Let's have that please.

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Formulaic and well made are exactly, and the only things, that the ST needs to be.

8. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Well enough by enough to go 5 seasons and would have had 3 more if Disney hadn't listened to the bean-counters.

I would watch a Filoni SW film any time over some of the others being mentioned.

SlashMan and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    It's the director that makes or breaks modern films. They have so much power over the product they're really more like line-producers w/o portfolio...

10. Darth slaughter

Darth slaughter Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    Good topic.
    I think R2 and 3PO will be giving us some humour. 3PO being very camp and R2 doing cute stuff, like they did in the OT. I'm sure JJ and crew will get the humour similar to the OT.
    Luke will be serious as usual and Han will be giving us some humour as well, most probably involving 3PO and Leia.... Oh and hopefully lando :)
    I think the above I've mentioned will still stay from the original format and still be unique as it was in the OT

11. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    I thought it was always supposed to be a fun adventure movie. As big of a fan that i am, i don't think there is anything superdeep and artistic in Star Wars.

12. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Star Wars is to science-fiction/science-fantasy as LOTR is to "high" fantasy. It is THE epic property.

I want a director who will appreciate and respect that, and not cheesy scenes of Luke hiding under a twilek barmaid's bed when her room-mate almost walks in on them.

For that matter, give the films to Peter Jackson. He knows how to do epic.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Star Wars literally changed the way movies were made, and the enormous fan base speaks for itself. If you don't see anything super deep or artistic, consider that these movies are still being analyzed religiously by fans, and new things are still being discovered. From the start, Star Wars was more than your average action flick. Which is why I hope there's more at stake in the ST than just the money.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I would actually argue that "fun adventure movie" for sci-fi was itself a revolutionary idea at the time.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The whole thing could be as formulaic as Enfamil, but as John Williams is scoring...

16. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    It's still not wery deep and philosophical. i still like it, but they are just fun movies, nothing more.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would become so angry, that I would storm out of the movie theater and let the air out of every single car tire that I see.