main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What would've happened to Vader had he lived after ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jan 25, 2016.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    I've always wondered this. Would he have turned himself in so he could stand trial for his numerous war crimes? Would the Rebellion have then used him to help them defeat the imperial remnants?

Or, what if the Rebellion, in their eyes, decided that there was no redeeming Vader for all of the evil he has committed, and sentences him for execution? Would Luke have gone along with that, or would he and Vader have gone into hiding so that they could live the rest of their lives as father and son somewhere peacefully?

What do you think would've happened?

enigmaticjedi and Tanjint like this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Best case scenario: he's kept under strict lock and key, being used only as a military asset to help them bring down the rest of the Empire.

Worst case scenario: he stands trial and is executed.

If Luke had the senses, he wouldn't do anything to piss off the Rebels by trying to defend who, to them, is the second most evilest man in the galaxy.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Does Luke say "come away with me" or "run away with me" ? Oh, hang on...is that to Vader or Leia??

Tanjint likes this.
  4. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Seriously, Luke would have had to secret his crippled father away to protect him, and the two would have become fugitives. Half the Galaxy would be seeking to exact justice on Vader.

Luke might even have become regarded by a wide group of people as a collaborator and been assassinated like Ghandi or Michael Collins. Not joking.[face_nail_biting]

Tanjint likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Return of the Jedi: Infinities shows Vader offering to help hunt down Palpatine - and the Rebel leadership seem to be willing to go along with this, rather than insist Vader be locked up.

6. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Yes, that Infinities story is bad ass. In it, because Han's carbonite sickness makes him blind for longer Leia and Han are not with ground forces on Endor. This leads to Leia being in the throne room with Palpatine, Vader and Luke.

The altered sequence of events leads to Palpatine escaping before getting a chance to mortally wound Vader. Vader returns with Luke and Leia and a white costume (so cool, though some dislike) and says he will help find and bring Palpatine to justice. The implication to me was that Vader would probably die in such a final confrontation along with Palpatine which I found to be a satisfying idea.

The rebellion was able to accept it because in the story they see Leia get a holo message from Luke that explains their family history (briefly).

SateleNovelist11 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think some hotheads would want to kill him, understandably so... But he would've lived his life out as a refugee. Luke would've protected him.

Tanjint likes this.
  8. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I'm thinking he would have been treated like any other high-ranking defector. As long as he proved sufficiently useful, he probably could have cut a deal.

Now that I think about it, weren't several of the Rebel leaders former Imperials? I'm guessing that they probably also had some bad stuff on their records, but probably not to the level of Vader.

I'm not at all convinced that Luke would try to shield his father from the consequences of his acts, other than simply advocating for him. If Vader spent the rest of his life in a small cell, it certainly wouldn't be a miscarriage of justice, and Luke would have to concede that.

Tanjint likes this.
  9. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'm thinking Vader and some higher up officers in the empire would have their version of the Nurnberg trials.

I think the rebels as a whole would be far less forgiving of Vader than Luke was.

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I enjoyed reading those.

In the films themselves, had Vader survived, I imagine that the Rebels would have appreciated any help they could get against surviving Imperial officers from Vader. Although some might not trust him and fear him, the fact that he had turned on Palpatine to save Luke would help many to forgive and trust him.

Tanjint likes this.
  11. HullCityJedi

HullCityJedi Jedi Padawan

Apr 17, 2014
    I think he would have been kept under lock and key, but used for useful intelligence before that ran out and he was thrown into a deep hole somewhere

12. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    In the hands of New Republic authorities, his cybernetic limbs would have been stripped from him except for an external iron lung, and he would have been wheeled around by Death Star droids while lying flat on a gurney inside of a breathing chamber. That way his classic raspy breath would have still announced his presence, but he would lack any Force powers except for precognition... which the Republic would use to their extreme advantage, as he envisioned and revealed the location of Imperial sympathizers.

Son of a Bith and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    You really think Luke would've allowed them to do that to him? I think he would've stressed humane treatment for Vader, no matter how monstrous he had been.

14. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Well, I was mostly kidding. Just an exercise in imagination.

But I mean... why not? There are people in iron lungs today, or there were until very recently. The stripping of his robot limbs would be for protection against the chance of a slip back into the Dark Side. This is a murderer of children and beloved colleagues, after all.

15. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    If you like fanfiction. I recommend it.

The Trial of Darth Vader

16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think we can all agree it's a good thing Anakin passed when he did. It would've been a terrible and boring life after ROTJ and the fall of the Empire. He would've been so isolated

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It's a little Silence of the Lambs. Vader locked away in a remote facility, occasionally visited by Special Agents looking for hints on dealing with some new Dark Force psychopath on the loose. Half a Maul in a neighboring cell.

"Keep alert. He'll get into your head."
    And of course he manages to start Force controlling Clarise, and guards have to pull her out before it goes too far.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  18. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    He probably wouldn't have been executed if he had helped dismebering the Empire remanants, but i have a hard time imagining him locked up in a cell, or in contact with other inmates.

If i had to guess, i'd say i would have been exiled on some "island" like what hapened to Napoleon.
    (in his case, replace island by some isolated planet/moon/asteroid)

19. Corac

Corac Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    I'm not sure the Rebellion would waste Vader by locking him up forever. If Luke managed to convince everyone that Vader really was good now, he would easily have become the Rebels' most valuable asset, considering his power with the Force, his knowledge of the inner workings of the Empire, and the reputation and influence he'd built up over the years.

Odds are he'd have gotten a new set of armor, though, one that didn't absolutely scream "evil monster".

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Or just repaint the old suit, a la ROTJ: Infinities:

[​IMG]

21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    There would be droves of people, out to get him, once he did not have the Empire to back him up.

The survivors of both Alderaan, and Prince Xisor's homeworld, for example.

Be like those folks who hunted down the Butcher of Renatasia, from the Lando Calrissian trilogy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Though I know this was mostly written in the spirit of humor, I actually quite love this idea. As you say later, it would be wise to remove all but the life support systems, maybe leave him with limited mobility... Allow him to assist in whatever fashion he can given these limitations (or just exile somewhere with supervision/security measures).

I think that, or the obvious military-trial-followed-by-execution would be most likely.

Now that I'm rambling about it, though, it'd be interesting to see Luke tempted to go
    "too far" to protect his father (perhaps, having passed his major trial, he lowers his guard a bit only to be put to the test once more...)

I donno. I just love Star Wars lol

DavidSword79 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Also: I'm not against the white armor, aesthetically, but I think Anakin would be wiser to go in a different direction. I don't think the victims of the empire would be comfortable with Darth Stormtrooper gallivanting around. Better to make himself look less imposing.

At least put a yellow smiley face on the chest plate or something...

DavidSword79, Corac and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Personally, I think we never would have seen Luke and Anakin again. Luke would've piloted the Imperial Shuttle away from Endor. I was thinking perhaps to Tatooine. The 2 of them living like hermits like Kenobi. Luke learning even more from the Force from his father, and training the occasional Padawan who managed to find them through the Force.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like the idea that Vader and Luke escape and they remake Anakin's apperance, give him a new identity and such, the reintroduce him into society.