main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD What you readin??

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kahlan72, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    i thought this might be a good incentive to recommend and get an idea on what others are reading.

After reading Pride and Prejudice, the first book I'd read in a while, I got the bug again and have since read Bridget Jones 1 and 2 and am currently back to the top ten books list and am on The Da Vinci Code, and have read more in a few days than I have in a long while. Granted I only get an hour or less aday to read in, well before I fall asleep I mean, but it's been good for me. AND JUST FOR THER RECORD..I AM LIKING THIS BOOK MUCHLY!

I don't read thrillers or conspiracy type books often but this one has lots of things I like...relations to Holy Grails, Art, Knights, Word puzzles, and serious questioning of the role of the major churches in our society. I didn't believe the hype, but just forget about it, and read a really good, fast paced, intriguing book.

What's everyone else up to?

2. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    The last book I read was Bartleby the Scrivener; a classic short story by Herman Melville.

3. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    I've just started on the novelisation of Isaac Asimov's short story, Nightfall. Dealing with how an alien civilisation, on a planet with six suns deal with their first sunset in two thousand years. Think of the planet in David Twohy's 'Pitch Black'... on steroids.

The original short story was a haunting existentialist piece on the nature of belief, change, and the insuing madness. Some critics have said of the novel as a little lacking in focus. However, I thought I'd check it out myself, just to see if Twohy was channeling anything else within Asimov's story.

...Hambo-3251 out.

4. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Life, the Universe and Everything

and Prey - the free one from the courier mail

It would be cool if we could have a book club.

If you want to start a thread about the da vinci code I promise not to post any spoilers kahlan

5. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Book Club, yay!

So who gets to be Oprah?

6. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I think you would make a good oprah.

(I don't know why, I just do :p )

7. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. Recently I've read Executive Orders (ibid.), State of Fear, and all of Matthew Reilly's books.

8. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    how does matthew reilly feel about you borrowing all his books?

BOOM BOOM

9. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Alright I'm Oprah then..
    It's makeover time!

Seriously though, I meant who's gonna be our leader,
    our point-man(or woman), our go-to guy(or girl)???

10. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
  11. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Okay then, let me convince you why making me the leader is not a good idea.

This week people, we will be reading a march '03 back issue of Street Machines(with the blown ute on the cover). Focus particularly on the editor's stunning rant on "Why God traded his Ford in for a Holden on the seventh day". Try and capture where the author is coming from in this piece.

... Need I go on???

I say Kahlan is the leader.

12. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    street machine? ok so it's better than 'hot 4's' but...

I second the Kahlan motion!

13. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Republic Commando: Hard Contact. And I'm the first one who's put a Star Wars book as his current reading material. :p After that, I'll be moving onto The Da Vinci Code, and, depending on how I like that, some of Dan Brown's other stuff which has also come highly recomended, like Angels And Demons and Deception Point.

14. DarthOpus

DarthOpus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    Trying to finish Pandora's Star

15. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Currently rereading "Prince of the Blood" it's been years since I've read Feists books and I have to say they are still as good as I remember them :D

On the book club front I don't if it would be relevant for my attendence as I tend to stick to one genre these days. Not that I ever expanded out in the first place but still...

16. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Just started reading some "story by Tom Clancy" type one, just finished Hellboy, before that Star Fire by Ingo Swann, a couple of Jack Higgins ones, some Clive Cussler, a couple of New Jedi Order ones...

Been getting 'em from the library lately, but usually try to buy 'em from KMart (35% off retail) or secondhand for the more obscure stuff.
    I have a few. 'bout 40 are Star Wars novels.

17. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Hey I love to lead ;)

Seriusly though, it can take me weeks or months to get through a novel these days as opposed to the days it used to take....and the few books I've read lately are really just a starting point for me as I have usually read Fantasy in the past. So basically I'm just not black enough to be Oprah.

But let us continue our recommendations! I too think I will read some others of Dan Browns stuff after The Da Vinci Code is finished.

18. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Hey I love to lead ;)

Seriusly though, it can take me weeks or months to get through a novel these days as opposed to the days it used to take....and the few books I've read lately are really just a starting point for me as I have usually read Fantasy in the past. So basically I'm just not black enough to be Oprah.

But let us continue our recommendations! I too think I will read some others of Dan Browns stuff after The Da Vinci Code is finished.

19. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002

Right now I'm readin'... this thread.

Heh heh, I thought someone would have said that by now.

Anyway, I'm not reading any books atm, but am thinking of either Hitchhikers' or Da Vinci Code (Especially since Audrey (Amelie) Tautou has been cast in the movie version.) (I won't say which character, you can IMDB that if you want. It would affect the 'imagination' of that character for someone reading it right now.)

20. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Nice to you know you're still in bad joke form Goob :p

21. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Interesting that there seem to be so many people enthised about Dan Browns books here :) I like them , they are great fun to read, but a lot of reviewers tend to look on them as glorified airport fiction, but I beleive may be true, but they are still fun!

I've read Digital Fortress which is okay, and am halfway through Angels and Dmeons, which is better (and very timely too since its set on the day of Conclave, which incidently in this Monday)

22. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm part way through, La espada del fuego.

23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Finished a Young adult novel leant to me by an exlecturer of mine to complement the paper I'm trying to polish on Fantasy as a way to get young people reading. Once I find the title, I'll let you all know.

I should start one of the four novels half completed that are scattered around my library:

Tigana - Guy Kay
    Spartan - Valiero Maniredi
    THe Last Legion - Valiero Maniredi
    Brilliance of the Moon - Leanne Hearn

If I can suggest any book, "The Jennifer Government" by Max Barry is fantastic.

Kithera

Edit: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud, is the book I'm looking for.

24. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I just started reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and so far... I'm loving it!!!

25. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Neech can read???? ;)

I was planning on starting that one soon too. Although those reviews of the movie make me want to stay well away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.