main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN What'cha reading?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedichic07, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I was thinking that we have a DVD thread, and a toy thread..why not have one where we talk about what's good to read out there? I'm not saying we have to be like Oprah's book club and all read the same thing....just suggest and comment on anything that you've read lately...

I'll start- I just finished "The Last Juror" by John Grisham.It was good, but not on par with some of his older books..the story was not suspensful and the ending kind of rushed. But, not a waste of time, if you're looking for a decent read!

2. Toymaster

Toymaster Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    How about this one...

I'm reading Star Wars by George Lucas! I have an old paperback novelization that I decided I'd finally read. It's amazing how the 30-year-old prologue stacks up to the prequals. It basically summarizes the first three movies in the first two pages. Plus it has deleted scenes! :D

3. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    I just started Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix.

Very very good so far. :D

4. GMSepiroth

GMSepiroth Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    If I were to concentrate on one book I might actally finish one. I have currently half-read all of these:
    - Star Wars (novelazation) by Lusas (duh)
    - The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien
    - The Science of Star Wars by J. Cavelos
    - Green Arrow (Kevin Smith's run on the title)
    - Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

5. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I just started Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix.

Heh. I just finished re-reading that on my recent trip to Ohio.

6. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I already listened to the abridged version on the downloaded audiobook, but the actual book has so much more including tables & schedules for prosperous living. Its basically about managing your money the way the bible & your grandmother told you to (no debt). "Ie, the borrower becomes slave to the lender". It also includes a steady plan for investing for retirement so that you can retire with class & have something to leave your children so that don't have to be working at McDonalds in order to supplement your social security when you are 65. Its not a get rich quick book by any means. I highly recommend it! :)

7. Alowicious_ReX

Alowicious_ReX Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2004
    Depending what mood I'm in I'm reading two books. "Me Talk Pretty" by David Sedaris and "Hell's Angels" by Hunter S. Thompson.

8. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    i started reading my yearly read of C.S. Lewis' "sci-fi" space trilogy..Out Of The Silent Planet, Perelandra , That Hidious Strength. i love those books....
    i'm also reading madaline l'engel's (sp?....) A Wrinkle in Time .....

9. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2004
    It's been awhile since I've read those C.S. Lewis books. I just remember thinking that Lewis had some strange ideas about space travel. It's also been many years since I've read A Wrinkle in Time, but I remember enjoying it very much.

I'm currently reading The Ginger Star by Leigh Brackett.

Here's the most recent things I've read (over the past few months):

Father to the Stars by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Stone God Awakens by Philip Jose Farmer
    VALIS by Philip K. Dick
    Dare by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Blind Geometer by Kim Stanley Robinson
    The New Atlantis by Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Other Log of Phileas Fogg by Philp Jose Farmer
    Expanded Universe by Robert A. Heinlein
    Richard Blade: Gladiators of Hapanu by Jeffrey Lord
    Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein (read it many times)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
    The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Antrax by Terry Brooks

10. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I just starting reading the lastest Clone Wars novel, Yoda: Dark Rendezvouz. I've only read one chapter and with the Australian Open having just started, I probably won't be reading much more until February. I just finished Jedi Trial which I thought was the worst SW book I've ever read.

Waiting to be read are the Star Wars Rebuplic Commando: Hard Contact and Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

[SORT-OF SPOILER AHEAD]

I just noticed in the time line that's at the beginning of every Clone Wars book that EIII has the heading of something like "Anakin Turns to the Dark Side."

11. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    I just noticed in the time line that's at the beginning of every Clone Wars book that EIII has the heading of something like "Anakin Turns to the Dark Side."

Man, why'd they have to go a ruin it for the Spoiler-Free fans?!? ;)

12. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I'm reading Jedi Healer part II. Like the first, it's kinda dull. Just recently read 2 of the Richard Hatch Battlestar Galactica books. I also have Yoda Dark Rendevous on my shelf waiting for me to get to it.

13. obivolkenobi

obivolkenobi Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel. It's a fantasy set in England in the early 1800s when a couple of wizards arrive on the scene to help Britain against Napoleon.

It's been called Harry Potter for adults, and I can't disagree with that, it's great! I highly recommend it to people who love fantasy.

Hey Doc, I know Leigh Brackett wrote the original script for ESB. Is The Ginger Star good?

14. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Currently I'm reading Phantom by Susan Kay. It takes the original Phantom of the Opera tale and delves deeper into the background of many characters. Go see the film! As Tony the Tiger would say...It's Greeeeat!

I also started LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, but got bogged down by all the detail. Good thing Peter Jackson jazzed up the screenplay.

15. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I don't read like most people do, but I like to skim lots of selections. I tend to gravitate towards non-fiction mostly, but I like a wide variety of writing. Luckily I work in a library.

On the fiction front, I recently flipped through the Silmarillion. That was... interesting, but I suspect that my methods of attention would never fully mesh with that title. I?m sure I?ll check it out again later. I did love the opening stuff though.

Just flipped through my Original Trilogy Star Wars titles. I have a copy where all 3 are in one print. It was the inspiration for a little art I did this past weekend (mostly the cut scenes stuff)

I also have the LOTR trilogy (also collected into one volume), and one Richard Hatch Galactica Novel that I need to get back to. Currently I am trying very hard to read Truce At Bakura. I'm actually about half way through it but I keep getting distracted. Figured that could be my intro to the Expanded Universe culture, which I know little about.

P.S. And speaking of the EU? as I write this, we just got copies of Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno in, and it looks interesting. Probably because I am jonesin? for snippets and peaks into Episode III. I might just take a stroll through that one! :)

16. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    Heading to the bookstore this weekend- hope I actually make it, and there are no gang fights!
    I really need a new book!

17. RSSchinto

RSSchinto Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2002
    I just finished Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Highly recommended but long(1084 pages). It took me three months to read.

Also recently read:
    The Cestus Deception
    Jedi Trial
    Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars book 2 by Greg Cox
    Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

On deck:
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons
    Medstar II: Healer
    Dark Rendezvous
    Labyrinth of Evil

18. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    Any review on the books leading up to ROTS?

19. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I started reading Labyrinth of Evil on Wednesday after finishing Yoda: Dark Rendezvous on Tuesday. I was thinking about creating a specific spoilers thread so that people who are interested in general reading can still peruse this topic without worrying about spoilers.

20. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Just finished Medstar II, it got better once I got into it. Currently reading The Destroyer 137, with 138 probably next up.

Detachment Delta: Operation Aces Wild (4th in this very good series) up next with Yoda:DR and Survivor's Quest roundign out my stack. My current NRA magazine will probably precede everything else.

21. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Just finished Labyrinth Friday. I won't give any spoilers, but I'll say it is one of the best SW books I have read in while. The ones since NJO ended haven't been some of the best, but I'd put Labyrinth in the top 20 of all time.

22. obi_john

obi_john Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2001
    Hello all, its been a while since I posted but thought I could jump back in on this thread.

Currently reading the Unifying Force, the last book in the NJO series.

23. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I'm reading "DOS For Dummies." Yeah, I'm a hopeless geek. But I'm doing it to prepare for a possible job in the department's computer forensics section. The interviews should be coming up in the next week or two.

24. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Hama, You think you're a geek? I just finished "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan.

Last year I read "A Brief History of Time" by Hawking.

Usually I read Stephen King, but he's gotten wierd in the last few years.

25. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2004
    I'm currently reading Phase IV by Barry N. Malzberg and Born With the Dead by Robert Silverberg.

Here's the most recent things I've read (over the past few months):

The Lovers by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Ginger Star by Leigh Brackett
    Father to the Stars by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Stone God Awakens by Philip Jose Farmer
    VALIS by Philip K. Dick
    Dare by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Blind Geometer by Kim Stanley Robinson
    The New Atlantis by Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Other Log of Phileas Fogg by Philp Jose Farmer
    Expanded Universe by Robert A. Heinlein
    Richard Blade: Gladiators of Hapanu by Jeffrey Lord
    Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein (read it many times)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
    The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Antrax by Terry Brooks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.