main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nash, TN What'cha reading?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedichic07, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-TN

obi-TN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    The audio book for the ROTS novel comes in both an abridged and unabridged version. Obviously, you had the abridged version. Most stores carry only the abridged version. The unabridged is like $15 more. I probably saw it at Borders. I have the unabridged versions of TPM and AOTC and will pick up the ROTS eventually. I'll let you borrow it when I do.

I brought some audiobooks with me for the ride, but I never managed to read book 1 of the Bounty Hunter series, so I didn't want to listen to books 2 and 3. I did listen to Crimson Empire on the way up.

I finally did read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves and re-read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in anticipation of the movie. The movie must cover all four books, or at least more than just the first book because so little seemed to actually happen.

2. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2004
    I'm currently reading The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Morgwar by Terry Brooks

What I plan to read next:
    We Few by David Weber and John Ringo
    New Spring by Robert Jordan

Here's a list of what I've recently read:

March to The Stars by David Weber and John Ringo.
    March to The Sea by David Weber and John Ringo
    March Upcountry by David Weber and John Ringo
    The Apocalypse Troll by David Weber
    Isaac Asimov's Mysteries by Isaac Asimov
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Man of Bronze by James Alan Gardner
    The Ginger Star by Leigh Brackett.
    Father to the Stars by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Stone God Awakens by Philip Jose Farmer
    VALIS by Philip K. Dick
    Dare by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Blind Geometer by Kim Stanley Robinson
    The New Atlantis by Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Other Log of Phileas Fogg by Philp Jose Farmer
    Expanded Universe by Robert A. Heinlein
    Richard Blade: Gladiators of Hapanu by Jeffrey Lord
    Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein (read it many times)
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
    The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Antrax by Terry Brooks

3. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Just finished labrinth of evil. Really good. Trying so hard not to get ROTS!

4. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    The hold I had on Dark Rendevous came in this weekend, so I was finally able to start that. Might be kinda weird reading it out of order with Labrynth Of Evil, since I already finished it, but I'm not picky.

5. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Just finished another Farscape book. Damn, I miss that show!

6. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    Ok guys, let's all try to get ahold of a copy of ROTS, read it, and when a few of us have done so, have a meeting where we can discuss and debate the entire story as it was ment to be told.....not the reader's digest version on the screen!

7. RLWedge

RLWedge Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I'm still reading on The Stand by (of course) Steven King. I still have to read I, Robot and Alvin Journeyman. After those, I'll probally go ahead and pick up RotS just because everyone said it was better than the movie, and I just can't believe it until I read it.

8. obi-TN

Jun 7, 2003
    "To Glenn -- Sorry about Order 66 -- Sith Happens... Matthew Stover SWCIII" is how my novel was personalized.

I thought there was relatively little difference between the novel and the movie. The biggest difference would be the meeting(s) that would lead to the forming of the rebellion. This scene cut Bai Ling's character and another senator played by Lucas's daughter as well as any lines from Mom Mothma. You also would have had Darth Vader reveal himself as having formerly been Anakin Skywalker. I can't imagine him not wanting Gunray to know it was he who was killing the Neimoidian.

9. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    I bought the ROTS novelization yesterday and am already at around page 50. It's great and has me pumped up to know the full story before I go to the theaters again. So hopefully I'll be ready for the "book club" meeting of NAD.

Gee, Glenn that's not much of a spoiler personalization from the author. But I meant to ask you about it, so thanks for posting it. If I had known that Stover was going to be at C3 (word on the Net said that he wasn't attending) I would have bought the book earler. Never did hear about when he was signing books, but did see a long line (the status quo of C3) for a signing.

I haven't finished a book in quite awhile (beyond graphic novels, but they don't count neither do magazines), but I'm shooting for a chapter a day.

10. Basill

Basill Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I plan on purchasing the book myself, although I plan to wait until early June sometime, when we have our quarterly employee-discount book buying. Hopefully I can have it in hand a bit sooner to check out though I doubt it with as many holds as it has on it.

11. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    I finished the book! Wow, there was quite a bit that could have added some detail to the movie. Can't wait to talk with others about it!

12. obi-TN

Jun 7, 2003
    Well, I didn't know how much of a spoiler it was until I read it. I agree that it's not much. Stover was listed on the C3 schedule as being there at least a week in advance and his book tour did not overlap, so I don't understand how people said he wasn't going. I think he signed every day and had very long lines. I just threw out the schedule, so I can't check. I was late to every other book signing, so I'm not sure if there were significant lines or not for them.

I had the advantage of a 4 1/2 hour flight to Seattle to read most of the book. I think I had about 20 pages left by the time I saw the movie Sunday and finished on the way back to my brother's house.

The EI novelization starts with the podrace that Anakin alludes to in the movie when talking about his previous race experience. The EII book has several scenes with Padme's family that appear in deleted scenes on the DVD. There isn't really anything similar in the EIII novel. There are a couple of scenes of the beginnings of the rebellion, but they are very brief. Most of the scenes between Anakin and Palpatine are longer and make more sense.

So when do we want to have our first Star Wars book club? I'm willing to let selected people borrow my copy.

13. Doc_Savage

Sep 13, 2004
    I'm currently reading
    A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo

What I plan to read next:
    The Armageddon Inheritance by David Weber
    Gust Front by John Ringo

Mutineer's Moon by David Weber
    The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Morgwar by Terry Brooks
    VALIS by Philip K. Dick

14. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I finished Jedi Trial today. I enjoyed it. Was a bit offput by changing the "Freedom Sons" mentioned in Han Solo At Stars End to "Sons and Daughters of Freedom". Established material should not be tampered with. I loved the subplot with the pilot and the recon trooper. Did anyone else notice a similarity between
    Captain Slake and a certain Confederate general?

15. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, at long last I finished the "Revenge of the Sith" novel last week. Would almost encourage a "book club" meeting, but it seems we've already done that either on the boards or at our last meeting when we watched the ROTS film.

16. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    I really want to have a book discussion....the best times for me are thurs and fri nights, i would not have to bring Eli or Kylie as james is off those days. When can we set it up?

17. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    I'm up-to-date on Star Wars novels, so I started Batman Begins tonight and it is even better than the film! If that's possible. The story and dialouge are true to the film with lots of extra "behind the scenes" stuff. The best extra stuff so far is the thoughts of Ras Al Ghul. His character is explored a lot more.

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm reading ROTS for the third time. Also reading The Six Wives of Henry VIII (I can't remember the author and I'm too darn lazy to go upstairs). Just finished Velocity by Dean Koontz (a little disappointing) and Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Weird but good.

19. senator__padme

senator__padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    I've read a bunch of books so far this summer.. I'm about to start the last of Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicolson books, Then He Ate My Boy-Entrancers. They're kind of like Bridget Jones for teenagers. I also read ROTS earlier this summer and *loved* it.

I need to pick up a copy of Labryinth of Evil.. I'll have to wait until after Harry Potter comes out though. ^_^ That's gonna keep me busy for a while. I recently bought Star Wars and Philosophy, but I haven't started it yet.. anyone know if it's any good?

20. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    just get labrinth at the library...that way you get to read it, and aren't out the cash for Harry Potter!

21. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    Fortunately, my *amazing* boyfriend ordered Harry Potter for me for my birthday (as well as a copy of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants..), so I'm free to book shop to my little heart's content. ^_^

22. obi-TN

Jun 7, 2003
    I just finished Star Wars Dark Nest I: The Joiner King last night. This is the first book after the New Jedi Order series. It begins five years later, so Ben has grown up a little. The story is very related to the Myrkr mission in the NJO, which probably is told in Star by Star, also written by Troy Denning.

It took a little bit of time at the beginning to adjust to reading in this era again after having been in the Old Republic for so long. I generally liked the book, but the editing was not very good. There is one place where Threepio's words intentionally run together, but there are several other places where words run together or a word is missing or is spelled wrong.

23. Doc_Savage

Sep 13, 2004
    I'm currently reading
    The Nitrocellulose Doormat by Christopher Anvil
    Richard Blade: Liberator of Jedd by Jeffrey Lord

On the list to be read:
    Who Goes There by John W. Campbell
    Basic by Christopher Anvil
    Test Ultimate by Christopher Anvil
    Compound Interest by Christopher Anvil
    Experts in the Field by Christopher Anvil
    The Hunch by Christopher Anvil
    Star Tiger by Christopher Anvil
    Revolt! by Christopher Anvil
    Stranglehold by Christopher Anvil
    At All Costs by David Weber
    Black Destroyer by A. E. van Vogt

The Royal Road by Christopher Anvil
    The King?s Legions by Christopher Anvil
    The Dukes of Desire by Christopher Anvil
    Strangers to Paradise by Christopher Anvil
    Richard Blade: Slave of Sarma by Jeffrey Lord
    Richard Blade: The Bronze Axe by Jeffrey Lord
    Stars Over Stars by Kathy D. Wentworth
    Black on Black by Kathy D. Wentworth
    Fallen Angles by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, & Michael Flynn
    The Armageddon Inheritance by David Weber
    Gust Front by John Ringo
    A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo
    Mutineer's Moon by David Weber
    The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Morgwar by Terry Brooks
    VALIS by Philip K. Dick

24. jedichic07

Jan 28, 2002
    and I thought I read a lot! :)

25. senator__padme

Jul 7, 2005
    This summer I read:
    1. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - Matthew Stover
    2. In the Company of Heroes - Michael J. Durant
    3. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
    4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
    5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
    6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
    7. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares
    8-13. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging; On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God; Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas; Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants; Away Laughing on a Fast Camel; and Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers - all by Louise Rennison

I'm currently reading:
    Hollywood vs. America - Michael Medved (which is actually one of my Poli Sci books for school.. because that's what a dork/over-achiever I am ;))
    Star Wars and Philosophy - Kevin S. Decker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.