main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whatever Happened (JA, a bit AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JediKnightZarc, Jul 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightZarc

JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2000
    Ok, here it is the middle of summer and I need to write *something*. I realized that I'm not going to have time to write once school picks up again so I need to get this out of my system!

This is something I've been pondering for a while, but I wasn't planning on sending it...at least not yet. It's oddly written. My LA teacher would have a fit, but it's a bit of an experiment with point of view and writting style.

I don't know if I'm going to continue after this; depends on the reaction. So tell me what you think! Anyway, here we go...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Title: Whatever Happened
    Author: Catherine
    E-mail: SadiraLynn@aol.com
    Category: JA, slight AU
    Summary: Snippets of time
    Disclaimer: Mr. George Lucas owns Star Wars and all of its characters.
    Rating: PG or PG-13
    Archive: Sure but send me a link to the site
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember the first time I saw my Padawan -my last apprentice. Of course, it wasn?t until many years after that I realized it was the same child or even saw him again, but it?s rather funny how clearly I still remember that day. Despite everything else, that day stands out above the rest. Maybe, at some subconscious level, I knew what was to come and so I clung to it or maybe I remember it so well because it was one of the last good memories I have of Xanatos ?my apprentice at the time I first met the child I have since considered a son.

The day was bright and clear. Xanatos and I had been sent to help negotiate a treaty between two colonies on some backwater planet. I wouldn?t really say we were needed for anything important though. We were sent to observe and makes sure everything ran smoothly, which it did. That is, until the end of our mission when a little detour was called for.

?Do we really have to go Master?? Xanatos asked.

I remember chuckling at his impatience. I often did that. I passed his faults off without thought; letting him get away with things that should have been addressed.

?Padawan, if we didn?t go on these missions where do you think all the little Initiates would come from??

We had been informed that a child with an unusually high midiclorian count had been born in one of the colonies. The family the child belonged to didn?t have much money. They were not ready to start a family. Knowing they could not care for the child as well as they would like, they contacted us.

Xanatos and I went to talk to the family. They lived on a small farm at the edge of the settlement. I explained everything to them and they told me they were willing to give their son up to the Jedi.

It is never easy to take a child away from its family. This was no different. The mother brought out the tiny infant wrapped in a light greenish blue blanket, which I would later realize matched the color of his eyes.

Feeling the tension in his mother and father, the infant broke the peace with a piercing cry that I can still hear if I focus hard enough. It was with that cry that I first heard, first saw my apprentice. My Obi-Wan.

Even as we took him back to the Temple, I should have realized the connection. The child brought me peace. His spirit was a resonance within the Force that I could not ignore and was immediately drawn to.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to think over this. We soon reached the Temple and another mission was waiting, but I can still remember the cry that echoed in my head as I left Obi-Wan in the crèche that day.

As I handed the small bundle over, a chubby fist managed to attach itself to the corner of my robe.

?Looks like this one is a fighter, ah Master Jinn.? The Crèche Master joked.

I smiled at the comment, but as I unclenched the fragile little hand that had attached itself to me, I couldn?t help but look into the child?s eyes. Eyes far too intelligent for a child so young. Eyes pleading for me to stay.

But I didn?t.

I smoothed back the baby f

2. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Interesting beginning...more?

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fabulous start JKZ!!

I always love stories where Qui meets Obi years before whats written in JA. I liked how that one innocent meeting, something Qui-Gon had done countless times had such a deep impact.

?Padawan, if we didn?t go on these missions where do you think all the little Initiates would come from?? --great line!!

I'm going to assume we'll have more, so I'll send my usual new story chant--

Post often, post soon!!

4. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    this a great start please post more me begging you

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow. That was...Wow.

6. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    WOW! Thank you all sooo much! I didn't expect a reaction so fast!

I have few more pages written, but there are some gaps to fill in. Actually, that post I just sent was supposed to be a lead in to another section written in 3rd person, but I'm not comfortable with it yet. I'm still trying to set a rhythm for how this should go. Like I said, its an experiment.

Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragement. I'll work on the next part and we'll see how it goes. :)

7. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    wow!!!!! Awesome!!!!

8. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    Thanks again everyone. I have play rehearsal tonight, but I'll see if I can get the next section worked out by tomorrow.

9. JessalynJawa

JessalynJawa Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2001
    You must continue with this!!!!!!! You say your language arts teacher wouldn't approve... oh, i think he would! the style is incredible, i love it! its so different, and yet tis absolutely perfect for this story. beautiful, just beautiful... i love the language, really i do, and somehow i can almost here the speaker as alden, you know? (of course, everything can become alden if i put my mind to it...) really, this is awesome. not only is it wonderfully written, its got a *baby obi* too! awwwww...... more more more.....

10. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    Well due to popular I have decided to continue this story...at least for the time being. I still have some bugs to work out, but its getting their.

Thanks Jessa for letting me pull you in as a beta! :)

My vision was almost perfect. It fit the child in almost every way. Except, there was no Master there to teach him or to care for him.

Despite any thoughts I had of the young boy, my mind was stubbornly made up. I would not train another. Or so I thought. It took me a long time to realize that the Force does not take ?no? for an answer.

?Maybe I will choose an apprentice next year.?

?Said same thing last year you did.? Yoda, my former Master replied. I was startled to hear the regret in his voice.

Pulling my gaze away from the disappointment written on the venerable Master?s face, I look out once again at the group of young initiates as they spare. The training room is full of Knights and Master?s; all of them looking for something, some connection that would draw them to one of the initiates and be a sign from the Force that that young one was to be their Padawan-Learner. All of them that is, with the exception of me.

Still, I watch them carefully. Instructing another, even after all this time, is something that has been ingrained into my natural thought process. In my mind, I make a list of strengths and weaknesses in one initiate or another. Of course, I?m only fooling myself. Never again will it be my task to train another hopeful soul. I can never trust myself with such a responsibility again. No, not after?

A motion from the corner of my eye catches my attention. A boy with brown hair, glinting red in the light, is sparing at the far end with another boy who at that moment seems the one to be gaining the upper hand. I can feel the boy with the reddish hair battling to control his emotions, his anger. The boy seems to be succeeding in his inner fight, but he is quickly losing ground in the physical one.

I find myself with the sudden urge to be beside the boy, encouraging him, but instead I restrain myself. I keep to my seat and lend my support silently. The boy?s opponent ?a severe looking lad with shocking white hair- falters suddenly, giving into his emotions and surrendering his focus. The one with the reddish hair sees his chance and switches to an offensive position instead of the defensive one he had held until now. I watch as within seconds, the fight is over and the boy is declared the winner. It?s all I can do to contain the small smile that tries to break its way to the surface.

?Much potential he has.? Yoda says next to me and I realize he had been following my gaze down to the pair of dueling initiates.

?Yes, he will make a fine Padawan. I?m surprised that no one has chosen him yet.?

?No, chosen he is not and will not be.?

I can?t help the startled expression that comes through at this. ?Why not??

?Too old he is growing and much anger he has.?

?But he is already learning to control it. He?s already thirteen??

?Soon, but sent to the Agri-Corps he will be tomorrow.?

?Tomorrow?? I shake my head at the lose of such potential. I look up once more and from across the room I see the boy look in my direction as he walks to the exit. For a moment, I catch his eye and I can?t help but feel that I?ve met that gaze before.

A second later, one of the instructors urges him out the door and I am left with a slight itch somewhere in the back of my mind. Shaking it off, I stand, my eyes still focused on the closing door.

?May the Force be with him.?

What do you think?

11. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    gah look I love it now you have to post more and often :)

12. Kaylla_Norn_II

Kaylla_Norn_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2001
    I think you need to post again...

13. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Oh! Oh PLEASE post soon! You have to work on it because it is a nice fic with plenty of emotion, which is what I like to read!

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I like!! I like!!

Come on Qui-Gon, you can't ignore the Force. You know there's something about that boy!

And thanks Jessa... keep her posting!!! :) :)

15. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Great job, looking forward to MANY more posts!

JediCandy

16. JessalynJawa

Jul 5, 2001
    Yay, you posted again! I *told* you it was good! And guess who got their notification thingamabob to work finally?? Yay for me!

~*~Jessa~*~

17. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    Good for you Jessa! Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll see what I can do to get another post up tonight!

18. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Very well written story. I loved having it from Qui's POV. Lots of lovely Qui-angst in it!

I look forward to reading your next post!

19. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    wahoo!!!!!!

20. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    Hi all!

I know it's been a couple days since I posted, but don't worry, I still intend to continue. I've been playing around with the next part, but I'm just not happy with it yet. I'm still a workin' though, so don't lose hope! I'll do my best to make it exceptable by tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies!

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    We'll be glad to read as soon as it's ready! :D :) :D

22. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    "Hi ho me fancies! What's for lunch?"

Hehe, sorry. As you can see, I have yet to post and though I have most of part two written, I wouldn't expect anything out of me until the end of the week.

The above line is from the play I am in and due to learning lines, songs, and going to dress rehearsal, among other things, I just haven't had a lot of time to sit down and think, much less write. I'm really sorry for the wait. I know I picked a perfectly rotten time to start posting this, but I'll make it up to you. I promise!

23. JediKnightZarc

Oct 6, 2000
    Sorry for the wait! I bet you were all starting to give up on me huh? This post hasn't been very cooperative and I'm still not completely happy with it, but I guess it will have to do. Oh, and I have a reason to celebrate. The play that I'm in opened last night and it went great! I was so happy, I had to share the love. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part Two- Obi-Wan

I came upon my apprenticeship a little differently than most Padawans. I was not accepted outright. Nobody said ?I take you as my Padawan Learner,? with the people I had grown up with at my back, cheering me on. In fact, not much about my life as a Padawan was normal, but then, mine was not the normal Master.

I never thought I would be a Padawan Learner. From the time I become eligible for apprenticeship, the Masters and Knights never gave me a second glance. I felt unwanted. I didn?t realize at the time that the reason I wasn?t chosen was because it wasn?t meant to be, and it made me angry. Instead of realizing that it was the will of the Force, I took it as a personal failure; I was unworthy.

I could be found as a very insecure boy as I came upon my thirteenth birthday. I felt rejected by the Jedi who had taken me when my parents could not care for me. I had yet to be taken as a Padawan and my hopes for the future -my hopes of becoming a Jedi Knight- were being smashed at my feet. As I watched my dreams puddle on the floor, cold eyes watched me, taunted me. Little did I know that those eyes would follow me the rest of my life, always a symbol of my failures. Those were the eyes of Bruck Chun.

I still don?t know why I was the one that Bruck singled out and I still don?t know why, out of all the people I have ever come across, he was the one person who could always get under my skin. Rivalry was not something that usually lasted long at the Temple, especially if you wanted to become a Padawan. I learned that the hard way.

In my anxiety about my future in those last few months I spent as an initiate, I allowed Bruck to get to me. He played on my insecurities and I let him, my anger mounting. All my life, my anger has been the thing that I have had to struggle with the most and it almost cost me my future. That, of course, was exactly what Bruck wanted.

?Come on, Oafy,? Bruck taunted. ?See if you can hit me again! One last time before they throw you out of the Temple!?

In my lack of control, I fought with Bruck unsupervised. That action ultimately led to my being sent away to the Agri-Corps. The Council had decided and I was to leave the next day, but somehow, I found myself back in the training room. Another Master had come to visit the Temple. I now know it was the will of the Force and the work of Master Yoda, but back then I saw it only as my last chance. My future was in the hands of Qui-Gon Jinn.

It wasn?t the best of chances, placing my fate at the will of a man who had sworn to never take another apprentice. Still, it was all I had and somehow, I knew it was meant to be. Unfortunately, I was not the only one to see this as an opportunity. This final battle was to be a lesson of sorts. I was to duel once again with Bruck in battle against my own anger.

It?s been years, but I can still see the training room in my mind. I can still see Bruck standing before me, lightsabre drawn. I can still see the other students around us who where being instructed and I can still see Yoda in the far corner, farther away than I would have liked, sitting next to a tall man.

My muscles screamed as I blocked Bruck?s ?saber, but I continued to hold my own. Eyes flashing, he took another swing. Again, I parried, but I was starting to lose ground.

A hint of a smirked played across Bruck?s face and I gasped at the feelings of anger I could feel building at that look. Once more, I found myself being pushed farther back.

?I?m sure you?ll make a great farmer Oafy-Wan.? Bruck spoke softly enough so our instructor would not here, but he underlined the words with a q

24. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
  25. JessalynJawa

Jul 5, 2001
    yay, you posted again.... love it! Oafy-Wan! Eh heh heh.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.