main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whatever happened to Streen?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MsLanna, Nov 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Mmm, I agree. He and Kam/Tionne could really benefit from a bit more than the odd cameo. As Jedi who have been around for a number of years and survived what the galaxy has thrown at them, I think there could be interesting stuff here if an author wanted to grab the bull by the horns.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

DamonD, his character development did change for the better in Before the Storm---he leaped off a pyramind for the heck of it. [face_laugh]

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    And that little scene was just the kind of thing I was thinking off. He was a lot calmer, more centred in those later years than his early jitterishness (is that a new word? I claim the patent!) in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, Streen and the rest of the Jedi leadership need to be explored more. It isn't Luke all by himself. We're getting some of this in DN, hopefully it'll continue.

5. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I do wonder why good characters get killed and a bad joke like Streen stay alive until they are forgotten. They should have finished him off in the NJO; what possible use he can be? And considering the in-universe Streen, what the heck Luke thought when he recruited him? I mean, seriously, he´s not Jedi material.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Why do you say that? He's powerful, smart, gentle -- he was just a little wacky before he got trained because of the precise fact that he hadn't been trained. That's fixed now. He's still a little eccentric, but in a good way.

7. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I just tend to remember that "wacky" part of him: Old, almost demented or mentally ill hermit, who is scared of humans and shows little Force abilities. I don´t think that he ever shows why Luke shouldn´t have let him to continue his old life on Bespin. And as he is as old as he is, then the OJO didn´t consider him to be Jedi material either. Nor the Empire´s hunters of Force sensitives considered him a threat.

I admit that there could be a good story hidden in Streen´s past about his early life in the Old Republic etc, but it hardly will be ever told.

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Was he really that old? I always figured he was more of the "looks older than he is" type.

9. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I don´t think that his real age has ever been told, but certainly he is described as an old man in JAT and viewed as such by other characters. I always figured him to be something like 65-70 in Earth years then; in the SW universe he could be much older. But he must have been something like middle-aged already during the Clone Wars.

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Hmm. Well, the whole hermit thing would help him avoid Jedi recruitment, so I'd say it still works. The expreience angle should be something that gets worked more, then.

EDIT: And I'd say more like 50 than 70, but that's my opinion.

11. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    The question is, what made Streen a hermit? Maybe he was found by the Jedi as a kid but didn´t have enough Force potential to be worth trained nor enough to be considered a future threat; then the hunting of Force sensitives by the Empire could have caused him to become a hermit, hiding on Bespin. Something like this must be in his past.

What comes to his age, I think that 50 is too little in JAT. The way he is described makes me think that he must be older. Possibly not 65-70, that´s just my guess, but certainly old enough that persons like Luke and Leia, who are in their early thirties at the time, would consider him an old man. And I doubt that at that age they would consider a man of 50 to be really an old man. So, at least 60, the least, I think.

12. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    i believe it said he became a hermit because of his force powers, he could hear everyones thoughts and it was to much for him to handle so he went to Bespin. IIRC that was how it wen. As far as his background, there's a lot of planets in the galaxy, I'm sure the jedi couldn't have gotten to them all. I also think it would be an easy retcon to say he is a "looks older then he is" as said before, just to get his timeline placing right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.