main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Whatever happened to the Jedi Temple?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthIshyZ, May 11, 2014.

1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    That explanation works to get us to the end of ROTS. It doesn't work so well when you consider the Temple was still there 20+ years later.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    sure it does.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Palps could have had it redecorated as a propaganda museum to show the populace how corrupt the Jedi Order was. I think that was in one of the X-wing novels.

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The Emperor would have taken his time to raid the Jedi Archives for information he could use, that would have taken years. Also, how many bomb sites in Britain took 20 years to remove and restore?

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Jedi Temple is the ultimate trophy for the Sith. The great headquarters of the Jedi Order now belongs to the Sith. Darth Sidious can walk through the halls of the Temple with impunity because there are no Jedi left to stop him. He can conduct his evil experiments there and taint the once pure fountain of light with the Dark Side because the Jedi failed to defeat the Sith.

Palpatine kept the Temple intact because it was a great prize. The sheer knowledge contained in the archives alone were priceless and the Force-strong nature of the Temple made it very useful for Sith experiments. Also, the Jedi were extremely arrogant and believed in their power more than anything else. They considered the Temple their home, and by leaving it standing, Palpatine was able to tempt any Jedi survivors into risking a trip to Coruscant to try and salvage something from the ruins. Even the coded retreat signal could be deactivated once Obi-Wan and Yoda were gone.

Although I do think that Palpatine should have razed the Temple after twenty years of victory. But maybe he had grown accustomed to looking at the Temple every morning and laughing at his sheer triumph. I mean, he wiped out a galactic order of Jedi and rose to rule the galaxy. The abandoned Temple was a daily reminder of how the Jedi had been utterly defeated and how Palpatine had succeeded in every way. A feeling like that can't get old, even after twenty years.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Over all I agree with you but I don't remember the Jedi being "extremely arrogant", a bit arrogant I admit and rather naive also but not extremely arrogant

Saga Explorer and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I exaggerate for dramatic purposes :p

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    At the end of ROTJ, what's the first thing they did on the newly-liberated Coruscant? They destroyed the statue of the Emperor. It was symbol of the enemy. They didn't leave it there as a reminder of their victory or a trophy.

That's what Palpatine would have done to the Jedi Temple.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    a temple and a statue of a person are different. if it's still there in the film, it's still there. that's it.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The Rebels want to move on and forget that the Emperor ever existed. They want to rebuild and restore the Republic. That's why they smash Palpatine's statue. Whereas Palpatine wants to rule and wants everyone to remember that the Jedi were traitors and that they were no match for the power of the Empire. The burned and abandoned husk of the Jedi Temple is a physical warning to any who dare to oppose the Empire. The Jedi tried to oppose Palpatine and they were wiped out, their vaunted Temple an empty husk.

11. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, good to see one of my threads is still alive and kicking, but I've since found out. Yes, the Emperor made it his personal residence. It's described in detail in Tarkin's book. Apparently there is a dark side nexus deep deep down inside it. An interesting read if just for that info!

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sheev used it for affordable housing for Gungans.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I bet the kiddie blood was a pain in the ass to get out of the council chamber floor.

14. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I really like the idea of the dark side nexus underneath the Temple. It kind of makes sense in terms of how we see the Jedi become weakened and blinded in their ideals. The dark side power beneath them slowly draining the power of the light, preventing the Jedi from seeing the Sith right under their noses.

15. Super_Mace

Super_Mace Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2003
    I would have thought it turned into a huge self storage place for the residents of Courasant.

16. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    As to the victors destroying the cultural structures and monuments of the people who lose, look at the Nazi's (could be argued that Hitler and the Nazi's are a primary influence of Palpatine and his Empire). When they conquered Paris, they didn't detonate a bomb in the Louvre, topple the Eiffel Tower, or tear down the Arc de Triomphe. Just sayin.

17. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I now have the image of Palpy on his hands and knees scrubbing the floor complaining about "stubborn blood stains"

18. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    It would totally be something in a Robot Chicken Star Wars parody!

19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^ Someone contact them and tell them to make that parody!

As for the topic, well, others have said it best. It's a giant 'I win' trophy for Sidious to show off. A giant F-U to the Jedi and a warning to anyone who dares to oppose him.

That said, why would he? Practically speaking, it's got likely thousands, if not millions, of useful tomes for Sidious to investigate into. Why would he destroy all that information? Secondly, look how big that thing is. You know how long it would take to dismantle it brick by brick and cart it off elsewhere? Better to just keep it there.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Out, out, damn spot!

Mr. K, thejeditraitor and Gamiel like this.
  21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Nah, he'd be painting arrows leading toward the spots with signs reading, "Couldn't save them, could you, Yoda? Where's your almighty Force now??" He's that demented, I think.

Sarge likes this.
  22. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    In the comic Darth Vader #1 it's shown that Palpatine lives/hangs out at the temple and meets with Darth Vader there.

B99, Iron_lord and thejeditraitor like this.
  23. sabbakk

sabbakk Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2014
    There is a church in my city which, after the commies had banned religion in the country, was converted to host a rubber footwear factory. You don't have to destroy the property of your sworn enemy if you can use it to spit on said enemy. That's what I imagine Palpatine's approach to be. If the temple is still standing, it's being used for something that serves to deface the memory of the Jedi order.
    Like Coruscant's biggest public toilet or smth.

24. Coruscanti Window Cleaner

Coruscanti Window Cleaner Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2015
    If you recall the graphic novel 'Vader and the Ghost Prison' (EU) which took place post-ROTS, Vader was able to gain access to archived holo recordings of Council meetings just by the flip of a switch in the Council Chambers.

Would be cool to think that Palpatine could have done the same in order to hear what Mace and the other Masters had to say about him behind closed doors during the war.

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think Sidious used it to mock the Jedi for falling. That's why he didn't tear it down. Plus, I like to think he used it as a secondary palace of sorts. That's me blending different stories together.

thejeditraitor likes this.