Whatever happened to the "used future"?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Frinkahedron, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect Force Ghost

star 4
    In TPM, we meet Anakin in a junkyard. I think it's kind of weird nobody thinks of that when they call the PT "unnaturally clean."

Anyway, you can't have a "used future" unless you have, at some point, a "new past." In order to get the future to look like the OT, you have to use the past in the first place.
  2. Magic_Al Jedi Knight

star 3
    The "used future" doesn't mean the universe has nothing new or clean in it, it's just a name for the idea that art designers in Star Wars think about how used things would be in an environment.

If you compare Star Wars to planet-of-the-week sci-fi shows, those other shows tend to look like everything was constructed at the same time. A real culture layers new stuff on top of old stuff, and the ratio o
  3. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It makes sense for, say, Padmé's ships to be clean and shiny. She's a queen in TPM and a senator in AOTC. You can hardly compare that to the ships used by, say, the Rebels in the OT. The Rebels in the OT were at war, and had neither the time nor the inclination to work on their ships beyond making them function properly. So of course they were going to look scruffier and more beat-up than a Queen's or a Senator's ships during peacetime.

I think Lucas does a good job of keeping the "used future" look going in the PT.
  4. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    I had a talk with a good friend of mine some weeks ago about it.
    Before we spoke about it, I always had the feeling that the PT is more colored as OT. But while we spoke I recognised that I got this feeling mostly because of PT's being clean and clear, while OT is more normal and untidy - of course in places where it can be this way.

So I agree, Frinkahedron. But I am not sure if they just made it because they had the money and wish to make everything in that way perfect.

And I also think or better hope that RotS won't be that "colored" and "clean". :)
  5. Frinkahedron Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey guys, didn't check this thread for a while - it got onto two pages, wow!

Some very good points made, thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps I need to watch the PT films again for the dirty bits, you could well be right about Tatooine etc.

I still feel a lot of my problem with it is the different filming & effects technologies . I know it's a bit old and tired to bash CG, and some of the effects particularly in AOTC were really incredible (eg the Trade Fed starship crashing on Geonosis was one of my favourites), however I think excessive use of CG, added to the fact that an awful lot of scenes are greenscreened with the actors not even being in the environment, are part of the problem.

I do agree however that the CG characters & objects are getting much better and uniquely detailed as you have mentioned. Also quite true about much of the film being concerned with royals and more civilised worlds.
  6. plddc1 Jedi Knight

The looks of the ships are supposed to represent the way automobiles looked before the industrial revolution. Back then they were more stylish and were basically works of art. When the industrial revolution came, they started standardizing the production of the vehicles which detracted from the overall "beauty" of the vehicles.

Um, nearly everything in this paragraph is incorrect, both in terms of its relevance to the GFFA, and to actual human history.

First of all, the Industrial Revolution is generally considered the period around 1750-1830. What we would consider a modern automobile, using a four-stroke internal combustion engine, wasn't even possible until 1885, and wasn't in common use for another ten years after that.

Second, standardized assembly line production occurred nearly the same time as the auto become really popular in the first place, just prior to WWI. In fact, without it, the automobile couldn't have become popular at all, because there wouldn't have been enough of them at reasonable enough prices.

Third, far from being works of art, early automobiles were ramshackle, makeshift, ugly things. The apotheosis of automobile design started during the mid-1930s and continued through to the very early 1960s. It wasn't until after that that design became less stylish and more practical and common.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.