main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Whatever Happened to Your Esteemed Rivals' Sites?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Okay, this is a borderline off-topic question aimed mainly at the moderators and the old-timers that were around for the prequels but why are other sites so quiet this time around?

www.starwarz.com is virtually dead these days but, during the prequel era, that T-Bone bloke was producing spoilers all the time. He still seems to be active on there but in a very low-key way nowadays. They certainly aren't producing any insights into the new films. MakingStarWars has come out of nowhere and taken over. Does anyone follow starwarz.com closely and know why the site has faded away? Has T-Bone simply moved on with his life? Did the prequels burn him out/disillusion him? ;)

MillenniumFalcon.com is the other site that isa lot less active this time. Aside from being prepared to publish the leaked concept art, it has not taken a leading role in publishing spoilers. Again, does anyone know why? Have the old producers of the site just moved on/lost interest or have they been warned off by LucasFilm/Disney or some other reason? Just curious to learn why these site and online personalities like T-Bone are so quiet this time around.

2. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Well, this thread has sure proved popular... :( :( :(

Immortiss and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
  4. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    There's a huge and frightening story about the downfall of MillenniumFalcon.com, but lets just say MakingStarWars rose from the ashes of that.

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's been a long time but who ran mf.com when it first started? I could probably name a few names but they were possibly only contributors.

Echo Base likes this.
  6. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Do tell more. :D

7. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Rebelscum.com is still around but it seems to have been overshadowed by MSW and SWU as far as ST scoops are concerned.

Echo Base likes this.
  8. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes and that is exactly what I am wondering: why have some of the most prolific sites of the past fallen away so much this time around? Yesterday's peacocks are today's feather dusters. :D

Have they just lost interest in running the sites? Were their sources identified and sacked or did they move on from LFL after the Disney buy-out, etc?

That TBone guy at stawarz.com used to be very good with scoops and spoilers. The site still exists and he is still there but they are very low-key these days and don't seem to be taking much interest in the ST at all, whereas he was a leading source of information for the PT.

Doe anyone here know TBone? What's up with him these days?

Cheers.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Good to see starwarz.com still has some retro looking pages. As for the downfall of some big Star Wars sites, I'd assume it's only natural that some fade away. The PT truly was a film event, but nowadays I get the impression that Star Wars is just one more cog in the constant "geek culture" machine.

Echo Base likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I just went to starwarz.com for the first time in years. I have nothing to add but thanks for the nostalgia trip!

Echo Base likes this.
  11. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
  12. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    DarthPsychotic/Darthy

13. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Here we go with an article by TBone on the state of his site:

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/20-years-young/

So basically, he made a bad choice of content management system and is trying to migrate all of his legacy material by hand... However, he goes on to say:

Hence, it seems his intention is very much to keep his site alive. However, if we look in his linked forum, there is only a single thread dedicated to The Force Awakens, running at just 161 pages:

http://www.galacticsenate.com/showt...II-THE-FORCE-AWAKENS-Spoilers-Allowed/page161

It is a little bit sad to see a once-leading SW spoilers site decline like that.

14. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Echo Base likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

As long as this site stays active which it has I am good.[face_devil]

16. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    True but I guess one of the points I was trying to make is that these sites had a lot of experience with obtaining spoilers and obviously had very trustworthy sources and would have been making revenue from the number of hits they were getting. Hence, I was wondering why they didn't really gear up again as soon as the ST was announced. It seems that, by missing the mark, they have let a new generation of spoiler sites like MakingStarWars and StarWars7News enter the market and steal their thunder.

17. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Just found a comment (purportedly by TBone) on ScreenRant as well about how the culture in the spoiler community has changed:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-7-trailer-2-preview-spoilers/

18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Thanks, how could I forget him [face_blush]?

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I know exactly which ones he is referring to there.

20. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Did any old-timers here ever visit the forum (which has been defunct for about a decade now) on Hollywood.com? The folks there were BRUUUTAL...

21. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I have seen a few SF flamewars.

TrekBBS and TrekMovie.com had their moments (not bad for a television show purporting to have tolerance as one of its major themes).

Even one of the Blake's 7 fan forums, http://blakes-7.co.uk/phpBB2/ (now almost dead, thankfully) could be a fairly toxic places at times. I haven't seen big fan wars in the SW community yet, thankfully.

22. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    People have drifted away partially because there weren't going to be any new movies, and partially because enthusiast media essentially got co-opted and copied by more mainstream outlets, and partially because there's just naturally a burnout that comes with dealing with all this stuff. Add to that the natural politics and b.s. that goes along with any sub-group of a sub-group of fans in any given fandom, and the question shouldn't be "where'd all the old sites go" but "how did those guys all manage to make it as long as they did?"

I mean, these boards begat the Prince of Aldera (who nobody even remembers anymore) which begat at least two other spinoff boards, which begat MF.com, which begat another community board, which begat Making Star Wars.net. That's not precisely accurate, but it's close enough to highlight how communities flare up, burn out, members strike out, new communities form, things rise out of those communities, those things grow their own, new communities, the people involved either burn out or bail out, so on and so forth. Corona's Coming Attractions begat at least three other boards, and members of those boards wound up at other fledgling enthusiast press sites, and those people built up resumes enough that now they work at legit media entities.

It really isn't hyperbole to say that a fair amount of the way people get their entertainment news in 2015 was borne out of everyone discovering new ways to talk about Star Wars online at the tail-end of the 90s. The primordial soup that was the entertainment internet in the late 90s early 2000s spawned a lot interesting ideas in how this sorta stuff gets covered. Some of those ideas weren't great ones, and the good ones got co-opted, and the ones that weren't picked up or supported financially just burnt out.

As Bruce Hornsby might say, that's just the way it is.

23. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I like the begats. The Old Online Star Wars Community Testament, according to bobbyroberts.

24. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    IMHO, a great example of this was Lucasfilm charging money for Hyperspace, which I argue was a great value and added excitement to the community. Today we have J.J. and almost nothing.

25. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008

I don't really consider myself to have stemmed from any message board, honestly. I got tired of running the equivalent of MakingStarWars.net for 12 people on a private board and started my blog on my own. No disrespect to any boards I've been apart of it, I just don't think it has any baring on what I'm doing now, honestly.

KeithyT, Bob Octa and Echo Base like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.