Saga Whatever May Await - OC (Jorlica) and Qui-Gon vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Title: Whatever May Await
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: OC
    Summary:
    Notes: This vignette is how I intended to end Jorlica?s story all along. Jorlica was an OC featured in a series of vignettes called You Always Remember. This was a romantic story of sorts centered around Qui-Gon Jinn and Jorlica.

Whatever May Await

I am an old woman now, but my memories shine as brightly as they ever did.

I am not important; in fact, there are not many still alive who even know I exist. That is perfectly all right with me, for I do not crave excitement or even recognition. The days for those things are past, long lost to distant history. Who am I, you might ask? What I am, I suppose, is an observer.

Events have transpired in the galaxy that have both awed and horrified me, and I have faithfully recorded them in my heart and mind. I have no bearing on the events of history; I am merely a recorder of facts and impressions, no more or less important than any other Imperial citizen.

To think of myself as an Imperial citizen is a concession, you must understand that fact if you are to understand anything else. I was born in the Republic, and I grew up to womanhood ruled by that same flawed government. Though imperfect, it was a democracy, or tried to be. Those ruled by the Republic at least felt as if they had some small voice in it. That has all changed now, of course, with the ascension of Palpatine to his self-created throne.

And of course, the Republic had the Jedi.

Even to speak of them now is treason, and so I commit a crime with my mere words. Let them come and take me, if that is the will of the Force. No, I am no Jedi. I am not worthy to bear that lofty title, but I once knew a Jedi rather well.

I knew him?and I confess here that I loved him.

His name was Qui-Gon Jinn and in some ways I am glad he died before he could see the Republic he served so faithfully become extinct. If he had somehow been lucky enough to survive, it would have grieved him so terribly that I am sure he would not have outlived the Republic by too long. I do not mean to say that he was blind to its faults, indeed, he saw them quite clearly. But for all that, he served it tirelessly up until the day of his death.

He died for the Republic he served, and for the Jedi.

I was but a small part of his very large life, but he was the sun about which I orbited in my quiet way. I never burdened him with the knowledge of how much he had come to mean to me, knowing that the life he had chosen would preclude loving me. I was content, however, to bask in his occasional presence. He loved me in his own way, and it was enough for us.

Qui-Gon was not a typical Jedi. He was not particularly reserved, and he did not pretend to exist behind high walls that cut him off from the rest of the galaxy. He knew, and understood, the problems that most beings face. When we hurt, he suffered with us, when we cried out for justice he did his best to serve it and somehow made us feel as if we did him the honor. That is a rare gift, and the galaxy would be a better place if more beings shared it.

He was, in fact, a man any woman could be proud to love.

Now I sit here in my lonely room and I pass the time by remembering what we shared together. We were an unlikely couple to start with, and I am still surprised that we ever became so close. He was a Jedi, and I was a prostitute. I am neither ashamed nor proud of what I did to earn my credits, I say only that I did the best I could in the situation I found myself. If any would condemn me, then I would say that they should walk upon my path before handing down their verdict. In any case, I do not care what anyone thinks of me.

Qui-Gon never judged me, and he never failed to treat me like a lady. That was the first thing I that made me soften toward him, see him as more than a business transaction. I think that was what made him such a gifted, and yet misunderstood, Jedi. He felt t
  2. VA_Parky Jedi Master

star 4
    Awwwww, how sweet!

I found myself enchanted with Jorlica and this was the first time I had ever seen her. What a great OC character - you have a way with them, you know?!

What a bittersweet vignette. I loved it - especially hearing her thoughts about each of our favorite Jedi. It made me smile, even as my heart ached for their loss.

Wonderful job!
  3. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh man! :_| She can finally join him (well hopefully)!

=D= Well done! I bet it was hard to write it though, wasn't it? I have loved all your lil fics with her in it! [face_love] They were soooo sweet and touching! So full of love and care!

Poor dear...she is right though, if Qui had survived it would have totally devastated him to see what all had transpired :(

Moving ending for her, beautifully written! @};-
  4. Layren Force Ghost

star 5

Every time we hear of some new atrocity that they have committed, I give thanks that Qui-Gon Jinn did not live to see it. The annihilation of everything he held dear would have destroyed him. And yet, I cannot help but wonder if Qui-Gon had lived if things might have somehow turned out differently. Then I curse myself for the foolish old woman that I am and bring out faded memories once more. It is there that I find comfort, in the companion long dead. Death is perhaps more suited to me than life.

Awwwwww that was so hearbreaking, Kim! I just love this OC so very much. [:D] Excellent work!
  5. randomangel22 Jedi Master

star 4
    this is sad and beautiful :_|!! you do have a way with OCs don't you o_O. but this was a great look into an average being's life during the empire and somehow i believe jorlica when she thinks that if qui-gon had lived to see the empire it might of killed him :_|!!
  6. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    VA_Parky I quickly became attached to Jorlica, so writing her is always a joy.

Kynstar It's where I always intended her to go, so it was satisfying to finally write it.

Layren I like her, too! And I'm grateful that you did as well.

randomangel22 Thank you! Reading work by other authors who write truly wonderful OCs has taught me some things. I'm still learning, but I keep reading great works to get me going! :D

7. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    :_| :_| :_| Darn you, K! I knew you'd make me cry. I just knew it! :_|

Seriously, though, a beautiful piece. But then I knew it would be. ;)

8. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That was lovely. Loved that she thought so well of all the people in Qui-Gon's life and that they had the time to connect enough that she could come to know them through his words. Loved that she was willing to put on the dress that he loved so much when it came time for her to go.

Great job. =D=
  9. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    That is such a poignant vig, Vadey. I always did love Jorlica. That she would connect every aspect of what she sees with Qui-Gon is so touching. Of his concern for Obi-Wan, his liking for Windu (self is reminded of Mace's own thoughts of Qui-Gon :D )

She thinks it is a good thing that he is not there to see anything ... but he is one of three Jedi who have still retained the enormous ability to preserve themselves within the Force. I wonder: there's something ironic in there, isn't it?

I've no doubt he'll welcome her, though. Won't she be surprised, to see him large as life even beyond?

Lovely piece. But then, from you, I wouldn't expect any less.
  10. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Gina Thank you for reading! [:D] You know how much it means to me! :D

dianethx I became quite fond of Jorlica. [face_love]

Princess_Arulmozhi Aw, thank you! [face_blush]
  11. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Awww...that was just lovely.

I loved Jorlica's reflections on Qui-Gon - very sweet [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great job on t this

=D= =D= =D= =D=
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.