main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Whatever Tomorrow Brings (Dear Diary Challenge 2008) -- Completed 12/16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ceillean, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    :eek:

No way! Poor Ti'ana!

That was so sad. Perfect, but so sad.:_|

Great update![face_peace]

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was brutal

:_| :_| :_| :_|

I hope Devon will be able to help Marrim go on.

That is what her sister would want.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. jadesabre75

jadesabre75 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 14, 2007
    Ugh. :_| :_|

I hate to cry.

Awesome job though...[
    face_wink]

4. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    OMG! You didn't ! :_| :_| :_| Horrible person you are Ceillean! :_|

And yet, it was beautifully written. You gave us just enough of the child in the beginning to make us know her, and love her. Then you took her away. Effective grief strategy there! :(

Because while I hoped, I felt small pieces of myself breaking. Once Ti?ana faded away, I would be a completely different person. It scared me to be alone without my sister and it scared me to be different.

Yes, this is my worry for Marrim too. She will turn to Devon. And he seems okay, and I hope he is there for her. But she has no more family in this universe and that's a really scary thought! :(

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
  6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I remember the voice of our mother and her sweet smile when she read us bed time stories. At the time I would roll my eyes and laugh but Ti?ana had loved the worlds of make believe with fairies and dwarves and mystical creatures that could grant three wishes.

I wanted a mystical creature of my own to grant me the wish of life to give to my sister.

I don?t know how much time passed. I sat holding Ti?ana and I cried for her, I cried for a life she wouldn?t be able to live and I cried for myself. I finally understood that she was dead.

Dead.

Lifeless.

Cold.

?Marrim.? I felt Devon?s warm hands touch my shoulders, caressing my neck with his thumb as I wept for a life that had been taken far too soon. I heard voices as I rocked Ti?ana back and forth but I didn?t understand their words. Nothing held meaning enough for me to tear my attention away from my sister.

?You have to come back.? I whispered, leaning forward to place a kiss on her nose, ?Don?t leave me alone. You?re my sunshine, remember??
    ?Marrim, let go.?

?I can?t live in a world without my sunshine.? I couldn?t bring myself to look at Devon. I burned Ti?ana?s sleeping image into my mind ? she seemed so peaceful?
    ?You can?t go, Ti?ana.? I kept repeating over and over again, shaking my head, not wanting to accept her death. All this could have easily just been a bad dream?
    ?Marrim.? I felt his breath on my cheek as he whispered in my ear, ?Let go.?

His hands grasped mine ? large hands to protect and hold close. Those hands would protect me, wouldn?t they? He wouldn?t let darkness take over? Because he cared for me, didn?t he?

Completely confused and completely at a loss, I let my sister go.

I woke up in an unfamiliar room. The thing that amazed me was the window in the ceiling. The sky outside was dark, sprinkled with golden dust ? stars twinkled in different colors, a rainbow on the carpet of space.

I was lying on an enormous bed and my heart started pounding. Frowning, I sat up and scanned the room with narrowed eyes. Everything was held in an innocent white; the closet embedded into the wall to my left, the dresser to my right, decorated with holopictures in white frames. Even the silky sheets were a startling white.
    A door opposite the bed swished aside and Devon walked in, a data pad in his hands. His fingers literally stabbed at it and he grumbled incoherent words under his breath. A long moment past before he looked up and smiled. ?You?re awake.?

?Where am I??

?My place. I didn?t think you?d have wanted to go home.?

Realizing the truth in his words, I pulled my knees to my chest and looked away as tears threatened to flow. I didn?t want him to see me cry, remembering the little episode I had had in the hospital.

The pain came back full force and I had trouble breathing. Too much death had already followed me throughout my life and now my precious sister had been taken at well. Where was the fairness? What had we done to deserve all this?

The thought of being alone scared me so much that I started to shiver. I swallowed a lump in my throat and forced myself to calm down. ?What happened? How come I?m here?? I turned to face Devon, laying my head on my knees.

?You blacked out.? He sat down on the bed next to me, reaching out for my hand, ?The Doctor wanted to keep you there but Alaris said no.?
    I raised my brows, ?Why would she do that??

He shrugged, ?Said that physically you were fine and all you needed was a little rest. She can be quite persuasive, that little woman. And so now you?re here.?
    ?This is your bedroom.? I stated taking another look at the white interior, ?How long have I been here??

?Two days.?

I stared at him, ?I?ve been asleep for two days??

He shrugged but didn?t comment. Ti?ana had been gone for two days already. I knew they kept her body in the morgue and the thought sickened me. Her small body would be frozen, waiting for the upcoming funeral?

?I hope you don?t mind that you?re here.? He said softly, ?I mean, if you want to leave ??

?No.? I was grateful and c

7. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_|:_|:_|:_|

With Devon by her side, Marrim might just survive this.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Very realistic portrayal of grief. Just heartbreaking!

I don?t know how much time passed. I sat holding Ti?ana and I cried for her, I cried for a life she wouldn?t be able to live and I cried for myself. I finally understood that she was dead.

Dead.

Lifeless.

Cold.

?Marrim.? I felt Devon?s warm hands touch my shoulders, caressing my neck with his thumb as I wept for a life that had been taken far too soon. I heard voices as I rocked Ti?ana back and forth but I didn?t understand their words. Nothing held meaning enough for me to tear my attention away from my sister.

?You have to come back.? I whispered, leaning forward to place a kiss on her nose, ?Don?t leave me alone. You?re my sunshine, remember??
    ?Marrim, let go.?

?I can?t live in a world without my sunshine.? I couldn?t bring myself to look at Devon. I burned Ti?ana?s sleeping image into my mind ? she seemed so peaceful?
    ?You can?t go, Ti?ana.? I kept repeating over and over again, shaking my head, not wanting to accept her death. All this could have easily just been a bad dream?
    ?Marrim.? I felt his breath on my cheek as he whispered in my ear, ?Let go.?

His hands grasped mine ? large hands to protect and hold close. Those hands would protect me, wouldn?t they? He wouldn?t let darkness take over? Because he cared for me, didn?t he?

Completely confused and completely at a loss, I let my sister go.

:_| =D=

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    :_| :_| :_|

Devon is so sweet though. It's good he's with her. @};-

When Mirrim first woke up, I thought at first she was hallucinating or dreaming.

10. jadesabre75

Nov 14, 2007
    GAH! I hope he sticks around. I might have to hurt him if he doesn't.

As usual, great update again!

11. iamobiwan1970

Aug 23, 2005
    Ohhh, so beautifully described. And so sad. She is so alone.

What I want to know is why a man who is shady like Devon keeps such a nice place and who the heck is in the holo?

12. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    The next few days passed by quickly. I hadn?t spent a single day in my apartment. Devon accompanied me when I needed a few belongings but otherwise I found it too painful to stay near Ti?ana?s things. I was grateful that Devon let me stay at his place for a little while but I knew I?d have to get on with my life sooner or later.
    I went to see Ti?ana one last time. Preparing her funeral? I was detached at the time. The hospital personnel helped me a great deal but when it came to the date, it was up to me. I had a big problem with the fact that I was the one who would initially have her body cremated.

That last day, she looked like she was sleeping. Her face was pale, ashen and grey. I let strands of her hair slip through my fingers but the softness was gone. It felt hard, almost brittle. I missed the rosiness of her cheeks and I found myself wishing that she would open her eyes so I could remember the chocolate brown without the sickness mirroring within them.

I said my silent good-bye, holding her hand for a little while. I spoke to her, telling her everything and anything ? and then I left.

The funeral was held on a private part of the cemetery. As strange as it was, I found myself taking in the scenery and it was beautiful. A grassy landscape with blooming flowers, tall trees growing to the sky, a beautiful golden sun lighting up the planet. Not many people buried their dead but there were a few headstones ? some plain some decorated so elaborately, that no one would have expected them to actually be headstones.

The funeral pyre was simple. Ti?ana little body lay atop it, her hands folded over her chest. She wore a white, satin gown for her special day ? it was a dress she had seen when we had first arrived on Denon but we could never afford it. I didn?t want her to be dressed in ugly garb for her funeral. I told Devon about the gown and he had bought it for her ? spending over two hundred credits so Ti?ana could at least wear her dress one time.

I wondered if she was watching us? Would she be happy about the dress?

I hadn?t asked for anyone to speak at the funeral. I had thought up a few words but in the end, while standing there, I couldn?t get myself to move. Devon held me close while an elderly man ? a priest of various religions ? spoke kind words of how the dead would move on, of how it was not fair to take someone at this young an age. His words were true and they hurt. I felt tears sliding down my cheeks but I didn?t sob. I stood with Devon ? the two of us alone ? and together we said good-bye to a beautiful child.
    But the picture of the flames engulfing her body would haunt me in my dreams.

Three days later, I received a message from the company owning the building. I hadn?t paid the rent on time, having to deal with other much more pressing matters. I had a decision to make. Stay in the small apartment or move out completely. Either way, I would have to go through Ti?ana?s things and ask myself what to do with them.
    I was standing near the window in Devon?s living room, just staring and wanting not to think. I thought about the past and what would have turned out differently if my parents hadn?t died in the war. Which act had led to the fateful day my sister died?

Devon came up behind me. I felt his warm breath on my neck as he leaned down, wrapping his arms around me. I leaned into him ? he was like my rock. Always there when I needed him.

?You?re very welcome to stay with me.? He whispered.

I closed my eyes. It was way too soon to permanently move in with him. ?I was thinking of finding another place, you know? I need to find another job first, though.? I turned around in his arms and sighed, ?Thanks for the offer, though.?

I saw disappointment in his eyes but he hid it with a smile, ?Are you sure? You?ve been here all this time. It wouldn?t make that much of a difference.?
    He was right, of course, but all the while I was staying with him, I knew I could leave whenever I pleased. ?Let?s talk about this some other time.? I said, taking his hands in min

13. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    She wore a white, satin gown for her special day ? it was a dress she had seen when we had first arrived on Denon but we could never afford it.

I wondered if she was watching us? Would she be happy about the dress?

:_|

Darnit, if you keep making me bawl pathetically like this I'm gonna have permanent red eyes, lady![face_shame_on_you]

But I do so love it.:D:p

Great post! I really hope we get the straight scoop on Devin and Asyla soon.[face_peace]

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Devon's a sweetie and a keeper but Marrim's right to wait on any major changes and until Asy'a prob gets straightened out, she's gonna be a real mod killer and put both of them in danger... I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to Asya either but Devon's as good as told her if she keeps falling in with the wrong crowd not to suck him into her chaos [face_thinking]

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Awe, that was so sweet of Devon to buy that dress. He's a great guy. It's so hard to believe anything bad his sister says about him!

Speak about Asya, what's happening now? [face_worried]

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    A wonderful and beautifully written update!

=D=

17. iamobiwan1970

Aug 23, 2005
    This was so real. The hurt and sadness of getting that special dress for a dead child who would never enjoy it. The painful closure! Ugh! You wrote that very well! [face_tired]

I still don't fully trust Devon and i worry that Marrim is turning to him because she has few options. Time will tell.

I am beyond intrigued to find out who is after Asya! :eek:

18. jadesabre75

Nov 14, 2007
    Ooooo. We finally gonna find out what's going on? Great update!

19. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    The funeral was heartbreaking and absolutely perfect!

I'm glad Marrim was thinking clearly enough to realize it is much too soon to move in with and rely on Devon for everything.

?They?re back, Devon.? Her voice was shaky, ?And they?re going to kill me.?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Uh oh!

[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

Great update

=D= [facE_applause] =D= =D=

20. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Well, I have to admit I haven't thought about this story since last time I updated, which was over a year ago. [face_blush]

Thank you, Jade_Eyes, for more or less reminding me that this was still out there.
    And who'd have thought it would still be so easy to write these characters? And it's tons of fun, too.

[b]Recap
    [/b]
    [i]The story starts off with Marrim and Ti?ana moving to Denon after the Yuuzhan Vong war. Their friends and family died during the first wave of the invasion and now the sisters find themselves all alone in a vastly changed galaxy.
    [/i]
    [i]Ti?ana befriends a local pilot named Devon, a young handsome man who has a few problems of his own. His step sister, Asya, is living with him for the time being and Devon wants her gone. Obviously, they don?t get along too well.
    [/i]
    [i]Marrim starts a job at a diner while Ti?ana goes to school. And on one fateful day, little Ti?ana has an accident. She hits her head badly and is taken to the hospital. At first it?s said she has a concussion but then the Doctor?s discover a disease and coupled with spores from a native plant which has found its way into her bloodstream, there is no hope for Ti?ana to survive. Not even a Jedi healer can do anything.
    [/i]
    [i]Marrim is heartbroken and seeks help and comfort in Devon?s arms. They grow close after Ti?ana?s funeral and for a while things seem to calm down.
    [/i]
    [i]Until Asya comes home one night claiming that there are people out to kill her.
    [/i]
    [i]A few of Devon?s old friends?
    [/i]

-----

Devon reached forward and grabbed Asya?s wrist in a firm grip. He pulled her into the apartment and silently he closed the door behind her. My eyes wandered from Devon to his sister and back again. It felt like there was a ticking bomb between them and at any minute it would go off and I really didn?t want to be in the middle of it.

?Did they follow you?? Devon asked quietly, finally turning around. The softness in his face had vanished, replaced by defined hard lines that showed a man who?d been through quite a lot in his life.

?I don?t know.? Asya?s voice cracked while she shook her head. It was obvious that she?d been crying. Puffy blue eyes glanced upward into her brother?s face and I saw hope there, along with fear and despair. ?I went to meet up with Maxx but he wasn?t home. I think someone broke into his apartment.? She wiped her cheeks with the back of her hands. ?I was on my way to the club we wanted to go to. I thought that maybe he?d gone along without me. But I saw old friends instead.?

?Old friends?? I asked when I detected sarcasm in Asya?s voice.

Devon turned towards me and I knew he was about to tell me to stay out of it. For my own protection no doubt but I wasn?t having any of his macho crap. I cared for Devon and if he didn?t want to watch out for his sister, then I would.

After all, family is everything. No matter what Asya did, Devon needed to find it in his heart to forgive her because someday it would be too late. He would lose her, his only sister.

?Devon, I want to know what?s going on.? I said in a soft voice while I stepped closer. I reached out and placed a hand on his arm. ?I care for you.? I swallowed back a lump in my throat and suddenly realized that tears were stinging my eyes. ?A great deal, actually. Whatever this is, I want to help you. I want to be there for you. Just like you?ve been there for me all this time.?

?Marrim, we?re talking about dangerous people.?

I chuckled mirthlessly. ?I caught that bit.?

?This isn?t a game ??

?I know, Devon!? I raised my voice a fraction, frustrated. ?I?d just like an explanation, that?s all.?

Asya trembled as she lifted her eyes towards me and then back to her brother. She shuffled past us then and took a seat on the sofa underneath the window, drawing her short jacket closer about herself. ?I saw murder in their eyes, Dev.? She whispered, barely audible. ?They did something to Maxx, I just know it.?

?Are you sure that the people you saw ??

?Dorvan and Kell.? She said, staring into nothingness. ?I would recognize them anywhere.?

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super update. It's so easy to slip back into the tale again, into the flow and intensity of emotion. =D= =D=

:D

And I never forget a fic LOL

@};-

Particularly a good one.
    :)

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    SO glad to see this updated! Wonderful. =D=

23. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW

That was intense!

But I'm glad to finally know what Deavon was hiding.

I just hope he will be able to keep himself, Marrim and Asya safe.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Mush! [face_love]

The ride back to my place was quiet. I sat next to Devon in his groundcar, watching him from the corner of my eye. He seemed tired, exhausted and tense at the same time.

I wished that all this could have been a dream. Ti?ana?s death, Devon and Asya involved with the wrong people ? hell, even the Vong war. All I yearned for was an average, normal life. Was that too much to ask?

Devon parked the groundcar in front of my building on a vast parking lot that was mostly empty. We got out together, he locked up and took my hand as we walked to the front entrance. I was at a loss for words. The silence was unnerving.

I went for my keycard, which I had stashed in the back pocket of my pants. Devon held out his hand for it and I frowned. ?I am perfectly capable of opening a door on my own, Devon.? I tried on a small, innocent smile but it didn?t much work.

?Consider it a precaution.? He winked at me and since I wasn?t in the mood to argue with him, I handed him my keycard. He slipped it through the slot next to the door and it opened with a slight swish.

The living room was just as I had left it.

Cold and empty.

I started shaking as I realized I was going to have to stay here on my own. Alone. It would be the first night after Ti?ana?s funeral. I swallowed and fought back an onslaught of anxiety.

I kept telling myself that I could do this. I knew I could do this.

And anyway, life had to go on, right?

?Will you be okay??

I nodded as Devon came closer. ?If I thought there was a different way?? He sighed and took my hand in his. ?If you want, I can check you into a hotel.?

I had to laugh. What a ludicrous thought. ?I won?t run. I?m done running.?

Devon sighed and reached up to touch my face. His fingers wandered along my cheek ever so gently. ?I?m sorry, Marrim.? He whispered. ?You don?t deserve this. You?ve been through so much already and now if Asya ??

?Hey.? I placed my hand above his. ?We don?t know if whoever Asya saw even followed her. Don?t worry. I?m sure everything will be fine.?

?I hope you?re right.? But something in his voice told me that he didn?t really believe his own words.

With a sigh he leaned forward and kissed me. Just a short kiss before he touched his forehead to mine. ?If anything happened to you??

?Don?t think like that.?

?I don?t have a choice. I know what these men are capable of.?

?Devon, I?m safe here. I?m safe with you.? I cupped his face in my hands and searched his eyes. The doubt I saw nearly tore me apart. I stood on my toes and kissed him softly. It took a moment for him to wrap his arms around me but when he did, I relaxed.

A long while passed before he broke the kiss and looked at me with drowsy eyes. Although I knew I would be fine on my own in the apartment, I didn?t want him to leave. I really didn?t. I wasn?t afraid, not as much as I had expected to be, all I wanted was his companionship.

?Are you sure you?ll be alright here?? He asked in a low voice.

?I don?t want to be alone tonight. I want you to stay.?

Surprised flittered across his face. ?Marrim, I don?t ??

?Please.? My cheeks lit up with a blush. But honestly, what if? What if Asya was right and these goons would find him and hurt him? What if this was indeed the only time we had together? I didn?t want to believe it but the sane part of my mind kept asking what if. ?Don?t leave me alone tonight.?

?Asya ??

??will be alright.? I reached up and twirled my fingers in his thick, blond hair. I felt his warm breath against my face, felt his body heat through is clothes. I bit my lower lip as anticipation coursed through me. ?Stay with me.?

Again, I kissed him. Just a nip, a sort of invitation for him to continue. And after what seemed like forever, he reciprocated and by the Gods, it knocked the wind out of me. He?d been holding back, that was for sure.

His hands were soft on my body as he found his way underneath my shirt. I helped him out of his coat and it fell to the floor in a silent flourish. It was an indescribable feeling as we explored one another ? tingles went through m

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yummy! You do mush excellently. :D :) I love that it's rubbing off on me LOL Mush is a delightful genre to write [face_dancing] I love Devon's sweet disclaimer that he doesn't deserve Marrim--sweet. :*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.