main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whats a biped?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by non-force-user, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. non-force-user

non-force-user Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2005
    Seriously. I am new to the realm of CHARACTER animation.

Im good at other kinds.

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
  3. non-force-user

non-force-user Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2005
  4. JinxKatarn

JinxKatarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2001
    A biped is basically a skeletal system used to deform a mesh. Character Studio's a good example of this, everything it does for character animation is through a biped.

It takes awhile to set up the rigging for a mesh to it's new biped (especially envelopes, which are what controls the parts that are moved in the mesh by the respective bone), but definitely worth it in the long run.

Most games use bipeds now to animate their characters, and you won't find any character CG effects worth mention without them either.

Hope that helps.

5. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    non-force-user, there's no need to be insulting - I was simply pointing you to a wealth of information. There's nothing wrong with asking, but did you even TRY finding an answer anywhere else? Just wondering. Good luck!

6. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Yeah don't take the "google" comment to heart. Everyone here gets told that. Especially when it's a question to a very simple question. Well atleast to these guys.

~Rory

7. joek1010

joek1010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    "This is NOT a tutorial site. There is a FAQ here with tutorial links, there is a LINKS section on the SF3D website, there is Google to make your own searches, the FAQ goes over books you can buy, SCIFI-MESHES is there to offer peer-review, there are schools out there, etc. Those are your options." - Zoo

Just a little preview.

8. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
  9. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Erm... how can you "ditto" your own quote?

10. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Does this mean that people are reading the stickies?

11. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    I got news for ya...almost no one ever reads the stickies!

I must say though, even though every here is very adimit about bashing people for asking "tutorial"questions the same exact thing happens in the fanfilm section and none is really given a hard time, instead they actually give them a link or tell them they don't know and that's it.

~Rory

12. joek1010

joek1010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    Granted some people do ask stupid fan films questions (how do I make a fanfilm) but its much less often then the threads about stupid 3d questions here. Thats probably because most people realize what goes in to a movie, while most don't have a clue on how to go about using Max or Lightwave.

Edit: My Proof

"What would be good animation software to use for a fan film?"

13. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Nothing wrong with asking questions...that's how we all learn. I just hope people try to find the answer on their own by searching the web or tutorial sites before posting. Good stuff.

14. Keimar_Venoso

Keimar_Venoso Jedi Master star 1

Feb 18, 2003
    One thing that I have noticed, and I will most likely be mercilessly slammed for saying this, is that this forum has a double standard. At times people will ask newbie questions and they'll get an answer. At other times they'll get the standard "search out your own answer and then come see if we approve of it" answer. What is the point of a forum if not to be a community where people, especially beginners, can come and find help? If you want an elite club of people who are CG experts then why not form one and password protect it? Why have it open to the world at all? Sorry, just my two cents. I've seen some good advice on this forum, although it can be sporadic.

P.S. I'll also probably get the "why do you even come here if you're just going to bash us" reply too.

15. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I think it depends on the question. If it's obvious that the person asking has not even attempted to find an answer (not in this topic, just generally speaking) than they will get more of a cold shoulder than if they have looked for themselves as well. Just my take on it.

16. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Ditto...

Depends on the question. And there's a huge difference between here and the Fan Film forums. It's like... 1:30 ratio of these dumb questions to good threads. Here it's like.... 10:1. I don't see ratios like this anywhere... SCIFI-MESHES, etc.

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    That is very true. I think (in general) it is probably caused by people watching the movies/fanfilms and saying "I want to do that!" and asking before they look around. IMO, you should ask in a forum AFTER you've tried to find the answer elsewhere.

18. JinxKatarn

JinxKatarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2001
    You would think that'd be common sense, wouldn't ya?

19. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    "Common Sense is the least common thing in the universe." - Albert Einstein

20. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    I've also seen many times on the FanFilm forum people answering: "Ask on Scifi3D board" when others ask "What do I need to do CG animation" or "how can make a ship flyby".... That not very fair

21. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    The point here OC is that people need to look first before they ask. Just like Katarn and Corrin confirmed, people need to just use some common sense before they propose their ideas/aspirations before hundreds or thousands or users. It's perfectly fair - what isn't fair is for people to clutter up the boards with questions that have simple searchable answers. Once they have looked around on their own (heck, type the question in Google) if they are still stuck THEN they can ask other users. Otherwise it gives the appearance of putting forth no effort and expecting great return. Doesn't work like that.

22. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    I too have noticed that people (like myslef sometimes) asks CG questions on the fanfilm forum(of course it relates to their film) forum because alot more people frequent that thread than this one. I have noticed some of my threads sit here for like a day or 2 before being answered where as the same question is answered in a matter of hours. Not complaining, just stating a point.
    ~Rory

23. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Yeah the fanfilm area gets a ton more traffic than this one. We need more 3D people...

24. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    I've often thought that's what was going on -OC- (Dr.Jones). I think they are just telling them to come here on how to make a fan film, or where to find people make one for them. It's like... for dumb questions it's the easiest thing to say and a quick way to get rid of them from their forum... "go to the SCIFI 3D forum". I wish we could do something with these damn threads that only took a few words like that too.

Somebody said... they're not talking about this thread... well I am. This is a DUMB thread too. It's such a waste of people's time. Maybe I should just make "one" more sticky and call it... "All inappropriate posts will be deleted". Maybe they'll post in the REQUESTS thread then?

25. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    More power to you Zoo - I would hope that people would pay attention to that. If not...well they've been warned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.