main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's a spoiler?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Paradox, Jun 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    As a matter of fact, I think you'll find most people in here are not spoiler virgins. Many of them are quite liberal about the definition of a spoiler, and are barely even on the second tier. There is quite a bit of speculation on this board, and we are quoting official releases. The only thing we're debating in this thread is what exactly we want to pass off under the guise of "official release." As you can see, the conservative trend this board was going under recently is starting to reverse - it seems we're now discussing everything but Supershadow. ;)

I think our current categories of spoiler discussion are more than adequate for almost everyone on JCN.

2. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Point made.

But... E2&3(SA) has a lot of problems with a whole ton of spoilerless threads there that really belong in here. I just want to think of something that will allow us to fix that without totally bombarding this forum with more than you want to know.

3. rogueleader16

rogueleader16 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 2, 2000
    IronParrot,

I'm going to diagree with you as I did with Mara before you. STAR WARS INSIDER INFORMATION SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM! It's the OFFICIAL publication of the OFFICIAL Star Wars Fan Club. A phrase that would be a synonym for the word "official" would be "sanctioned by Lucasfilm." How else could this fan club or the magazine be considered official? The interviews with Lucas, McCallum, Bocquet, Chiang, Gurland, etc. should be considered as "official" as any press release. Information from any other magazinea should not be allowed UNLESS it is an interview with an official, identified source speaking on behalf of Lucasfilm.

4. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    And we are also allowing info from any magazine dated before the release of TPM, whether it was from an official source or not, and whether it has what could be considered E2 spy reports or not. You can't expect everyone's non-spoiler commitments to date back before May of 1999.

And yes, Insider is acceptable.

5. Obi Have

Obi Have Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 1999
    I was able to avoid most spoilers for TPM, and I'm planning to do the same for Ep. II and III.

What's a spoiler?

It doesn't matter if the information is Lucas sanctioned, if something is a spoiler, it's a spoiler, regardless of where that information comes from. "Official" trailers in general are notorious for giving away major plot points in movies...which is why I avoided seeing the trailers for TPM, and which is why I will avoid seeing the trailers for Ep II.

For me, I'm a diehard...I want to know as little as possible about Episode II before I finally see it. I want to recreate the feeling of seeing ANH the first time and being totally blown away, because it was nothing like I had ever seen before.

Spoilers are also visual. I felt "spoiled" by knowing and seeing pictures of Maul's double-bladed lightsaber before I saw TPM. So, I plan to avoid seeing any pictures of Ep. II before I see it. That will be very, very, hard, but I'm going to try my best.

But, I realize in terms of defining spoilers for this forum, it's really hard to discuss anything about Ep II without getting into spoilers. Which is why I'll probably just avoid this forum completely as Ep. II nears its release date.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    We've long realized the problem with finding a balance between the liberal and die-hard spoilees. It'll be very hard for you to avoid "visual" spoilers, because there are probably going to be all kinds of pics of E2 ships and whatnot pasted up all over the place. But good luck on your quest. If you find any of our spoiler definitions too liberal for your tastes, go ahead and tell us.

7. Rilian

Rilian Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2000
    Where the heck are all these new admins coming from. First Veritcal and now IronParrot? Wow. I leave for a few hours and look what happens.

*offers congrats to IP*

Well deserved for both of you. 2 of the more sane members I've read posts from around here....

BTW: I'm with Dark Lady Mara on the insider issue...since Lucas is ultimately behind it, there won't be anything too juicy in it. Go back and watch the TPM trailers if they are still around, they tell some basics but nothing about the storyline...

8. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I have a specific question on whether s/t is a spoiler. I'm planning on buying the release of the Star Wars Trilogy come November. At the beginning will be something about E2, I don't know what. Would this be considered a spoiler?

Any help, or did I just ensure that I'll get flamed?

9. rogueleader16

Aug 2, 2000
    It's released by Lucasfilm, so I wouldn't consider it a spoiler. There's not going to be all that much on it in regard to plot anyway. I guarantee there will be a lot of general statements from some of the principal people involved about how the production is going, and how immense the project is. There maybe a few obscure shots of the set (you'll have no idea what if being pictured) and that will be about it. There'll probably be a lot of insightful comments like McCallum's comment on the plot of E2 during the Celebration in Denver-- "Well, there's going to be a war."

I'm not trying to be exclusionary here at all, but just a comment on trying to please everyone on this board. If you are a hardcore non-spoilee who wants to know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about E2, I respect your decision, but it is probably a good idea if you avoid all the discussion boards, unless TFN creates a board just for you. I just don't think it's possible to leave out all info. about the movie. As Mara stated before, the large majority here are liberal non-spoilees.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    10 minute feature on E2 = released by LFL = not a spoiler.

11. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Ack, I hadn't noticed that this thread lost all of its original posts. That's quite a shame. :( Ah well, this thread is still very informative, so it deserves to be at the top. :)

12. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Okay, why not.

The following is Windy's recommendation, not mine, so don't kill the messenger: The TPM non-spoiler forum stated that anything dealing with the movie beside character names and locations would be considered spoilers. The trailers were allowed to be discussed (when the time came).

That would be a big conservative step from the liberal path this board is now taking, but let's put it up for a vote anyway. Who wants to adopt this rule from the old non-spoiler forum as part of the Official E2 and 3 Spoiler Rules?

13. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    No, what I meant is this. Talking about the "long nosed tie fighter" (what we called it then) was fine, but saying it was Darth Maul's ship would have been a spoiler. Any plot point would be considered a spoiler. Character names, locations, trailers, speculation of all kind would be allowed.

Mace Windy,
    spoiler free 'til episode III!

14. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    And no one has yet said a word on whether or not they like Windy's idea...

15. rogueleader16

Aug 2, 2000
    I think that's too conservative. I think you should be allowed to include any info. that was released by an official source (someone speaking on behalf of LFL, a trailer released by LFL, Select pics, the official site, the Insider etc.) This would eliminate any confusion. If it comes from LFL it's allowed. If not it isn't.

16. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I'm kind of in the middle. Would knowing that the "long-nosed TIE Fighter" was Maul's ship really have spoiled anything??

17. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    And the titles "Qui-Gon's Noble End," and "Qui-Gon's Funeral" on the OFFICIAL cd would be OFFICIALLY sanctioned by Lucasfilm, but 95% of people on this board would have considered that to be a MAJOR spoiler.

18. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Common sense, though. The novel was also released before the film, and could be considered "official", but of course it will contain spoilers (duh). Same with the soundtracks - stay away from 'em until after you see the movie.

19. Mad Jedi Master

Mad Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2000
    Hi. I'm from the Spoiler forums, but I'm considering moving here with all the stuff that's going on. I must say, I spoiled most of TPM, but it didn't ruin the movie. But I want to see if I can go spoiler free from this point out. I think It's fair to assume that the Official Site and Star Wars Insider are okiday. My question is magazine interviews with McCallum or The Flanneled One? The Vanity Fair, Premeire, Time interviews were great, and didn't give away too much of the plot. The major thing I remember was Lucas mentioning Darth Sidious for the first time. I would hate to go spoiler free for the rest of the way, then end up ruining that because I wanted to discuss magazines and TV interviews and had to go to the spoiler forums. With the exception of the Official Novelization and Illustrated screenplay, I'd consider pretty much anything Lucasfilm lets out nonspoiler. What do you guys do to keep sane when TF.N has a report that says highlight to read? I can't help myself! Do you guys speculate on Select Pictures too?

20. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I haven?t read through this entire thread, but I think it?s hard to define what a ?spoiler? really is. Granted, some rules have to be laid down for what is allowed here. However, what seems to be ?accepted? may be more than some people want to know. Given what is officially stated, in TPM you knew character names and saw pictures, locations, you knew who fought in the duel, etc. While these aren?t ?spoilers? per se, it?s certainly more than I want to know about Ep2 at this point.

Like Mad Jedi Master brought up...the select pics are 'official', but I don't want to see them (although I've seen a couple).

21. Mad Jedi Master

Mad Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2000
    Also, what about costume pics? Or trademark registrations and domain name registrations (which are matters of public record)?

22. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    "Also, what about costume pics?"

Well, I think unofficial costume pics can be classified as "mild spoilers". They don't really give away much, but some people might avoid them just because they are unofficial.

"Or trademark registrations and domain name registrations (which are matters of public record)?"

They may be public now, but I'm sure that Lucasfilm didn't want everyone to see those. Unless the "red herring" theories are true...

23. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Does anyone here plan on avoiding the trailer? Was anybody able to go without seeing it before TPM? Just curious...

24. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Like I said in the "If you don't want to be spoiled, don't watch the trailers" thread... I watched the TPM trailers and they didn't spoil the movie for me, so I will definitely be watching the Episode II and Episode III trailers.

25. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Here's a personal spoiler of mine: Hayden Christensen.

I haven't seen this guy in anything and I don't plan to. I also plan on avoiding as many t.v. interviews, etc. with him as I can during the pre-Episode II hype machine. I was glad to see Lucas choose a virtual unkonwn for the part of Anakin. The less preconceived notions I have about the actor going in, the better I'll be able to accept him as the character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.