What's a spoiler?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Paradox, Jun 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandrell Force Ghost

star 4
    So any information given by GL regarding certain aspects of EPII on American television, would that be considered spoiler material? I ask simply because I had a thread idea and I tried to consult Lady Mara before posting, but she failed to respond. Hey good example of admin/user relations there for you.

If anyone knows the answer to this question, a simple yes or no would be appreciated.
  2. hew Force Ghost

star 4
    No, I don't believe that would be considered spoilers, Mandrell.

"I ask simply because I had a thread idea and I tried to consult Lady Mara before posting, but she failed to respond. Hey good example of admin/user relations there for you."

Ha! I bet Windy would've responded promptly...
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    *wispers* I have a spoiler.... Hayden is playing Anikan... *gasps* I know, it's a shocker! lol

NO really, if you want to post spoilers, go to the spoiler board. I have nothing against them, I just don't read them so I can have a surprise...
  4. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Mandrell:

"So any information given by GL regarding certain aspects of EPII on American television, would that be considered spoiler material?"

If you're referring to what GL said on Access Hollywood about a certain Episode II scene, then I would consider that either a mild spoiler or official information. It doesn't really spoil anything, but some people might not want to know about that scene. So if you're going to post a thread about that, I think you should put a "possible mild spoiler warning" in the title.
  5. Mandrell Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay thanks SofS, hew.
  6. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    As I've said in this thread, anything directly out of the mouth of GL or any of his toadies is not a spoiler.

I realize many users many not want to read through an entrie thread when it gets this long, so in summary:

--------------------------------------------------
    1) Anything dated prior to May 19, 1999 from any official or unofficial source is not a spoiler.

2) Anything said by Lucas, McCallum, or any other individual ranking high in the Lucasfilm hierarchy is not a spoiler. Anything said by a mid- to lower- level employee, like the ones who leak info to TF.N, is a spoiler.

3) Any information from any issue of Star Wars Insider is not a spoiler. Information from any tabloid or other publication dated after 5/19/99 is.

4) Any information taken from the official site, including the Select pics, is not a spoiler.

5) When the time comes, the trailers will not be considered spoilers.

6) Of course, all sorts of speculation based on information obtained from the non-spoiler sources above is acceptable and welcome.
    --------------------------------------------------

I hope this answers most of your questions.
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Thanks, DLM, for the clarification.
  8. Obi-Wan McCartney Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, and I think the punishment for posting a spoiler should be an IP ban. If it is unintentional, or an accident, then just a temp ban, but if it is like "Qui-gon Dies!" they should be banned for life.
  9. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think a IP ban is a little steep. How bout a warning the 1st time, a regular ban the 2nd time and IP 3rd or 4th time.
  10. Rilina Jedi Knight

star 3
    Regarding the punishment of people posting spoilers: I think the number of times is less important than the intention of the post. Under a system based on the number of violations, someone could post "Qui-Gon dies" and just get a slap on the wrist.
  11. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
  12. Rilina Jedi Knight

star 3
    up!

Hey, maybe we should delete and restart this thread so Dark Lady Mara's post is the first one people see?
  13. hew Force Ghost

star 4
    Nah, it's fine the way it is.
  14. rogueleader16 Force Ghost

star 2
    I think a ban is very justified. Banish them to the spice mines of Kessel! Everyone knows what a spoiler is. I wonder if there is a way to ban someone from the NS forum and still allow them to post in the SA forum. That would solve everything.
  15. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    No - you ban the spoiler-poster from the entire system under the charge of trolling. No warnings.
  16. Gahiggidy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Is anything from the official site, SW.com, considered spoiler? I've recently been spooked away from the spoilers but I still want to talk about the select pics and other news from official sources.

P.S. Is it worth to hold out 18 months without any Eppy 2 info?
  17. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Everything you see on the official site is considered non-spoiler.
  18. rogueleader16 Force Ghost

star 2
    We need to make a point that your signature can be a spoiler too. I know I continue to harp on this, but Sith Interceptor's signature is, and it still isn't changed even after Mara PMed him. Can we ban those with signature spoilers since he has yet to heed your warning, Mara?
  19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think he should get some sort of punishment. He might be on a trip or away or somthing.
  20. JediLord Force Ghost

star 4
    anything not posted on the official site should be considered a spoiler
  21. rogueleader16 Force Ghost

star 2
    Well if he's on a trip, too bad. That shouldn't be his signature anyway if he's posting in the NS forum. I know some details dealing with the Clone Wars that I didn't want to know just from that stupid quote, and with a script having been stolen off the set there is a chance that quote is 100% accurate Banish him!
  22. Spynal Jedi Knight

star 2
    Rogueleader16, believe me, I'm from the spoiler forum and NO dialogue at all has been released. Nothing from that supposed stolen script has been posted at tf.n or any other sites. Sith Infiltrator was just fooling around with his signiture. And not much about the clone wars is known even now. We only have some clues about characters a little plot info. Nothing of the actual wars has been released.
    Also, if this will make you happy as it did for me, several sources have said that Lucasfilm is actually giving out false info and the spies are picking up false spoilers. So, if you've read some stuff or actually seen something, it may be fake. Lucasfilm doesn't want this movie ruined by maniacal kamakazi spies.
  23. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This material has been moved here from another thread.

Subject: A rule about official info that isn't considered spoiler: No title posting.
    Author: Obi-Wan McCartney Date Added: 10/24/00 4:36pm (PST)
    I'm not sure if this is already understood, but I want to be certain. I know a lot of people don't consider the trailer or info from the official site to be spoiler. I do. I may still watch the trailor, or I may still read all the last minute official info, I haven't decided. However, I feel that if the trailor comes out, and we spoiler free people start speculating on that, we could presumably give a lot away, since we know a lot about Star Wars.

From watching the just the trailors and seeing the toys, I figured out that Palpy was Sideous before seeing the movie. I knew about the podrace, and I could tell from watching the trailors that Qui-gon had died. How? Because Obi-wan and he are fighting Maul together, and from the two trailors, you see Obi-wan scream "Nooooo!!!" and in another shot you see Obi-wan fighting Maul alone. I mean, the whole second trailor gave away way more than I wanted it too, with the plot about being invaded and everything. Anyway, I digress.

The point is, I know officially the trailors aren't spoiler. But I think we should make a rule that ANYTHING, official or not, should not be included in the title. Nothing. I feel I shouldn't be unduly spoiled.

Is that a fair rule? No spoiler of any kind, official or bootleg should be posted in the title?
    ----------signature----------
    "Because the world is round it turns me on..."
    -Beatles Lennon and McCartney

Obi-wan McCartney, faithful Jedi Knight of the Spoiler Free Order
    'You'll find I'm full of surprises.'

SPOILER FREE 'TIL EPISODE III!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POST REPLY | MODERATE
    Subject: RE: A rule about official info that isn't considered spoiler: No title posting.
    Author: hew Date Added: 10/24/00 4:53pm (PST)
    That sounds fair to me. It wouldn't be hard to create a title that represents the thread without spoiling anything for the super-hardcore non-spoiler members. We could also dedicate one or two threads for trailer speculation, when the time comes.
    "Alright now, I'm coming out. Any man I see out there I'm gonna kill him. Any sumbitch that takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down."

98.9% SPOILER-FREE 'TIL EPISODE III!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POST REPLY | MODERATE
    Subject: RE: A rule about official info that isn't considered spoiler: No title posting.
    Author: Dark Lady Mara Date Added: 10/24/00 8:46pm (PST)
    Perhaps you should post this message again in the official "What's a spoiler?" thread.
    Burp the alphabet I can, yes!

SPOILER-FREE 'TILLLL EPISODE III

POST REPLY | EDIT YOUR POST | MODERATE
    Author: republic_not_empire Date Added: 10/24/00 8:51pm (PST)
    I think that any threads containing even the most minor spoilers like known characters and actors should say that there is a spoiler in the title. Kinda like:
    Ep.2 confirmed characters(little spoilers)
    Then in the thread say that Anakin will be in ep. 2 (or whomever, I don't want to say anything to outrageous in this thread.)
    Only mediocre people are at their best all the time.

Hey, its just my opinion

go on now... debate

POST REPLY | MODERATE
    Author: Obi Anne Date Added: 10/25/00 1:45am (PST)
    It sounds good to me, we should also when the time comes sp
  24. Rilina Jedi Knight

star 3
    This thread needs to be back at the top.
  25. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It does, doesn't it?

--Mr. P
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.