main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's a spoiler?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Paradox, Jun 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Mentos: If Lucas gives us official information on one of those "spoiler" topics, then they won't be spoilers anymore. A paradox, eh? ;)

k kanos: The discussion over SWI didn't end with my post (which you quoted above). We went on to decide that since most people who post here read SWI anyway, and since it is the official magazine, its contents shouldn't be considered spoiler material. That's been safely established.

In regard to asking a council of admins to decide on a set of hard and fast rules for this forum: Never. As I think I've said before, I've seen Josh's editorial on what he considers a spoiler, I've seen TFN's guidelines, and I've seen many prominent admins rant about what should and shouldn't be allowed in the NS forum, but frankly, I don't think any of those things are relevant to us. I'm the only admin who posts to this forum regularly; what would the admins know about what should and shouldn't be allowed? I stand by Paradox's sentiment in starting this thread so long ago: That non-spoiler forum rules should be determined by the non-spoilees themselves, not by anyone else. IMHO, the open discussion in this thread has worked extremely well, and I'd like it to continue as we get closer and closer to episode 2. If the sentiments of this forum's regular posters change with time, we should adjust our forum rules to fit that.

I'm starting an experiment of sorts. I'm going to post a locked topic in this forum and in the Announcements forum listing the current NS rules. The only thing I will take into consideration in writing those rules is the discussion in this thread. If we decide to modify rules in this thread, I'll change the "official" reference threads.

Posting new thread... now.

2. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    "non-spoiler forum rules should be determined by the non-spoilees themselves, not by anyone else."

I agree DLM. I was merely suggesting input from an objective third party if and only if a set of rules was unable to be agreed upon. However, you have taken care of that already by posting a set of rules for us to go by.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
    K Kanos

3. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Like I have been saying before, its not just about establishing this rule and that rule. The general "official lucasfilm" guideline is good, but I think it is a guideline. Searching through official lucas stuff to figure out the plot, I think, goes against the spirit of the spoiler forum.

4. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    To help alleviate confusion and possible spoilage shouldn't we make it a rule of thumb to not allow vague titles for threads. Such as what? Who is that? or CHRISTOPHER LEE :mad: ? Its not necessarily the fault of the person who posted it, but the people within it, obviously aware of his unofficial role in Ep II, started throwing around terms inferring what this character's role is outside of Lucasfilms *Official* description just release recently. However, a better thread title would have been:

"Christopher Lee's character officially released by GL"

While I am allowing myself to read only officially released info from Lucasfilm, many may want to stay 100% spoiler free. A good way to do that is to make the title's as specific as possible to warn these people from venturing in.

I give the credit to Obi Anne for this idea.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    k kanos, I addressed your concerns about the Christopher Lee thread being a spoiler in the thread itself. Take a look over there.

So, I take it everyone has seen the new official rules. Thoughts?

6. Jedi Knight Seyrah

Jedi Knight Seyrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    This is the problem I have with the current definition of spoilers in this forum:

- If something is confirmed by Lucas, it REALLY IS GOING TO BE IN THE FILM. Thus, it could spoil elements of the story for me. Is that not what a true "spoiler" is??

(If I am not making myself clear - what if I told you how the movie "The 6th Sense" ends? I would be relating pure, 100% fact, confirmed by every official source there is. But it could and would utterly spoil the movie for you. This actually happened to me, and it's the reason I stay away from spoilers now.)

What if the novelisation is released before the movie again, and people talk about it here? Do you want to hear that? Even though it's 100% Lucas certified?

I don't.

- In contrast, I have much less of a problem with SPECULATION, which you seem to be currently referring to as "spoilers". Because, people can tell me something a hundred times, and if there's no official source, it may not be in the movie and my knowing about it won't spoil the movie for me.

Do you see what I am saying, and why this makes NO sense to me?

I really wanted a reason to come back to the JC. It's been to long. But I don't want spoilers. (Sigh, should I have stayed in EZ-board exile?)

7. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    The novelization is a spoiler, of course, even though it is officially sanctioned by Lucasfilm. Just to make it clear: The novelization and the back of your CD covers will be spoilers when 2002 rolls around, folks. :)

There is a fine line between speculation and spoilers, Seyrah. What if someone posts spoilers here and tries to pass them off as their own speculation? Although I welcome speculation based on the official facts, it makes me a little nervous when I see someone speculating about something very similar to recently released spoilers.

As far as all official info being considered non-spoiler: If the official stuff was considered spoiler info, what would be left for us to discuss here? We're already quite limited in what we're allowed to say. It's been suggested in the past that we start a forum for the "Puritans" - those who want to completely avoid any kind of information about E2. However, there are two problems with that:
    1) The forum would have almost no patronage. The NS forum is pretty small as is; things would only get worse if we split the forum further.
    2) There would be nothing to talk about. What would you do, start threads consisting of optimistic messages like "I can't wait for E2"?

We've always had problems finding ways to compromise between these Puritans and the more casual non-spoilees since we're all squashed together in this forum, and don't expect to be broken up into two groups any time in the foreseeable future.

8. Jedi Knight Seyrah

Jedi Knight Seyrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    Understood, Dark Lady Mara. I suppose if I want my Episode II discussion to remain non-spoiler, I'll have to just keep to my EZ-Board, and otherwise hang out on the OT and TPM boards . . .

Thanks for clarifying. Though maybe the forum titles should be "Episode II: All Spoilers" and "Episode II: Official Spoilers".

Going back to hide under my rock now. ;)

9. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    DLM, if you ever need to know if someone is passing off a spoiler as speculation here, just PM me. I'll come and tell you if it's from a spoiler report.

10. Mandrell

Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2000
    Well personally I don't know why you closed IP' thread DLM, it's not like it was redundant.

For example there are currently two threads on the first page discussing the Jedi purge. One started by K Kanos entitled: The Jedi purge - How will Lucas eliminate the Jedi? The other by Mentos Strikes back entitled: Will Jabba kill some Jedi?

As for what you say on forum policy, I think we are all well aware of the recent rules that you have posted in this forum as well as the announcements forum concerning the spoiler policy. But were does that leave TF.N' ruling? Clearly they have said names are fair game for discussion and in their opinion are not considered spoilers, but your policy clearly states otherwise. A conflict of interest here I think?

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think names that doesn't involve titles or very known OT names ( I think you mean which name I refer to) should be allowed. The problem comes if someone suddenly starts to refer to someone with the name Darth or something like that, that would be a really big spoiler even if it's just a name. The same goes with names that you could easily fit with the OT, even if it isn't the exact same character.

12. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Like I said in IP's now-locked thread, I'd rather not see character names become non-spoiler until after they're confirmed by Lucasfilm. I fear that if unofficial character name discussion becomes fair game, this forum will go from Non-Spoiler to Spoiler-Lite.

13. Mandrell

Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2000
    This issue needs to be cleared up. Clearly we have two official rulings that contradict each other. Surely TF.N' ruling overrides the ground rules that DLM has laid because as an admin of TF.N' message boards DLM is subordinate to Joshua and Scott.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    But still the rules of this forum is made up by us non-spoilers, not by TF.N, even if their rules are good guidelines.

15. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    Rise, my friend...

16. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    "Welcome to the non-spoiler forum. The following is our most current set of rules for what is and is not considered spoiler material:

1) Anything dated prior to May 19, 1999 from any official or unofficial source is not a spoiler.

2) Anything said by Lucas, McCallum, or any other individual ranking high in the Lucasfilm hierarchy is not a spoiler. Anything said by a mid- to lower- level employee, like the ones who leak info to TF.N, is a spoiler.

3) Quotes from actors, stunt doubles, etc., who were on the set of Episode 2 are not considered spoilers.

4) Any information from any issue of Star Wars Insider is not a spoiler. Information from any tabloid or other publication dated after 5/19/99 is.

5) Any information taken from the official site, including the Select pics, is not a spoiler.

6) When the time comes, the posters and trailers will not be considered spoilers.

7) Of course, all sorts of speculation based on information obtained from the non-spoiler sources above is acceptable and welcome.

We reserve the right to restrict certain users from posting in the non-spoiler forum, such as users whose names contain spoilers and those with spoilers in their signatures."

- Post anything adhering to these rules and you will be accused of alluding and posting spoilers and your thread will be locked...

17. HanSolo17

HanSolo17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2001
    spoilers are about 6" high at a 70 degree angle on a 3400 lbs. stock car. Seriously though.. Did Samuel L. Jackson say on the Rosie O' Donnell show that E2 was to be a christmas release? This was Back in November sometime.

18. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Time to go to the top...

19. The Mentos® Strikes Back

The Mentos® Strikes Back Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2000
    Something that goes rotten in the fridge. ;)

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Or something that smells rotten in this forum. ;)

21. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    up!!!

22. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
  23. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    And again :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Up. Again, no particular reason why I chose this moment to up the thread.

25. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    <--------------------|========|--------------------->

*swing*
    *swing*
    *dodge*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.