main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's a spoiler?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Paradox, Jun 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FieryGoddess

FieryGoddess Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    A spoiler is anything that makes me say, "Oh, I didn't know Lucas was going to do that in Ep II..." :(

2. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Since we're getting rather close, are the toys spoilers?

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'd be careful there, cb. Some of the scans of toys that I've seen are very spoilerish, revealing vehicles we've not seen yet. More importantly, the presence of certain characters among the sets of action figures drop some huge hints about the plot of the movie.

4. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, stay away from the toys if you don't want to be spoiled!

5. Lord_Erly

Lord_Erly Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2001
    Big Emperor_Dan, I don't think that the toys are spoilers.

Take Legos for instance, I can't imagine any of the Lego Designers/Producers know more than any other non-LucasFilm company employee.
    Maybe they know the design of the Lego's they're going to sell for Epi II, but those Lego's won't be available for another while.

And I'm pretty sure that all Lego employees working on that had to sign a confidentially statement.

Though Toys might not be spoilers, be wary that they don't spoil you. ;-)

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Not true. There are currently a number of pictures of the lego toys on the net which are definitely spoilers.

7. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Definately not true. All of the EpII toys will be released in April. The images and names and descriptions will be known to the public next month at ToyFair.

Yes, there's been confindentiality statements made, but when LFL gives the OK, it all comes out.

8. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Pehaps the toys themselves are not spoilers, but the text on their boxes is?

9. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    :D

Quite funny. Now toys are spoilers. LOL! So we have to put blinders on, now, I see. Well, I'm not spoiled. Though I'd not be afraid to look at and buy a Star Wars toy if I so desired... and I'd still not consider myself spoiled if I did so. LOL. I'd feel rather sheepish if I were caught walking around "averting my eyes" at every possible piece of Star Wars merchandise coming out these past few months. And if I did, I'd hope someone would laugh at me. "Spoiling" based on that definition is entirely too subjective.

Here's how I see it, and it's a much cleaner definition. If it's official or released through official channels (like licensed toys, or the main Star Wars website), then it's okay. If it's "stolen" or "spied" information, then it's spoiler. I'd not avert my eyes or any other such absurd thing for any other movie or saga; why would I do it for Star Wars?

(and this is coming from a HUGE Star Wars fan that has to see it on the first day, first showing, all to prevent the unlikely but possible scenario of someone running out of the theater and past the line where I am, and saying the Episode 2/3 equivalent of, "Darth Vader is Luke's father!")

10. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Malthus has a point about the toys being official. Unfortunately, certain plot points were revealed on the packaging that I, personally, would have preferred to not know. So it's not an official spoiler, but could be safely deemed spoilerish.

11. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Actually some of the toy packages are very spoilerish. They lists details/events as if they assumed you've finished seeing the movie already and are interested in getting this toy. So even though they may be *official*, it's recommended that unspoiled people don't browse the latest toys at all until after they've seen AOTC. (I looked at a few and was spoiled).

The Dooku saber I was about to post last night wasn't bad at all. It was the exact same thing we saw in the trailers, and it was not in a package. But I agree, there should be rules to make clear that potential spoilers (including all toys for now) should not make its way in here. If I posted a toy that was safe, the next person may post a toy that may not be safe.

12. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Funny, some of what's on the toys is Spoilerish to the nth degree, but some is not..

Something else I wanted to say in what makes something a spoiler. Certain things, say character names, stuff from the trailers, offical releases, whatnot, are not REALLY spoilers because they lack something.

Context.

I'll put it another way: call this the Mystery of the Dead Cat. You find a dead cat in the middle of the road. All we know is that it's a cat and that it's dead. What killed it? A truck? An animal? Heat exhaustion? We don't really know.

Now drop the dead cat in the middle of a restrauant, then what killed it? The chef, most likely.

The difference? Context. Context makes all the difference between roadkill and a meal.

So we have the same with Star Wars. I may know a character's name, what their waredrobe is like, or whatever. But as long as I don't know the context, they're not a spoiler, see?

Your milage may vary.

13. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    That's a very good point there. A problem though is that Star Wars is the most analyzed thing out there now. It depends how much people analyze the trailers and news bits. If they were to put two and two together, some of them may actually figure out some secrets on their own.

Take TPM, let's say we saw the shot of Obi saying "NOOOO!!!" in the trailers. Without context, people are pretty clueless as to what the he's screaming about. But if they analyze it enough, and use knowledge of Qui-Gon's funeral (thanks to the blatant soundtrack), they will figure out that Qui-Gon might be killed. There's even a shot of Qui-Gon's funeral scene in the first trailer. [face_shocked]

Dangerous times these are. It's like a minefield of spoilers right now. Beware folks. :)

14. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    I suppose a spoiler is what you personally consider to be a spoiler. For instance, I consider the trailers to be spoilers, and so I completely avoid them.

I'll also be avoiding the AotC merchandise from April 23rd until after I see the film. (I'll probably buy Jedi Starfighter for the PS2 when it's released, but I won't play it until *after* I see the film.)

15. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Yes, but what should be the RULE here (forums)? That is the real issue at hand. That's why I favor an objective rule (see my post a few above this one), over a subjective rule ("well it feels kinda spoilerish...").

16. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    JohnWilliams wrote:
    "Take TPM, let's say we saw the shot of Obi saying "NOOOO!!!" in the trailers. Without context, people are pretty clueless as to what the he's screaming about.

Unfortunately for me, after seeing the trailer 2 or 3 times, I realized that Obi-wan's "NOOOOO!" was *very* similar to Luke's "NOOOOO!" in Ep. IV. Since I knew why Luke was screaming, I guessed that Qui-Gon was going to bite it. And I even managed to avoid the soundtrack spoiler (which was also "officially" released, BTW).

Anyways, my point is that even if something is officially released, that doesn't mean it's not a spoiler. But the poor admins around here would be in a world of hurt if they had to start regulating every little thing that *might* be considered a spoiler. I think the rules the way they are right now are fine, and that those of us who want to be a bit more hard-core about our spoiler-freeness have to take a little of that responsibility on ourselves.

This might be easier, however, if folks who want to talk about the soundtrack or the toys did so with plenty of warning. For example, in the thread title, you could easily warn hard-core spoiler-free (HCSF) fans to stay away, or, at the very least, make sure the topic of the thread is clear in the title (e.g. "Soundtrack title discussion" instead of "Sounds good to me!"). Of course, this has to be a matter of courtesy because I don't see how the admins could regulate it otherwise.

17. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, for me, I'm still in the dark about a healthy percentage of the movie. I don't know dialouge or plot, just a few events and characters. I still feel terribly spoiled on two things, but I won't expand on that.

I still can't figure out how I managed to get into Phantom Menace knowing so much less though!

18. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    Rise, my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.