main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's An Acceptable Artistic Goal for a Big Budget Studio FIlm?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rylo Ken, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    If we could go back in time and ask William Shakespeare (assuming he existed and wrote his plays) what he wanted to get out of writing Macbeth, he might tell us:

"to entertain people and make a little money."

An exotic dancer at a strip club off the interstate bypass might tell you the same thing.

A Disney executive would probably amend that to say "to entertain people and make a lot of money."

I don't see the problem with TFA having the goals of

1. entertaining people by appealing to the goodwill general audiences and fans have for the original Star Wars movies, including its plot elements, its characters, its iconography.

2. setting up a new series of movies by having the original cast help introduce us to a bunch of appealing new characters and handing off the series to those new characters

3. making a boatload of money.

Works for me. Seems like millions of people have been bountifully entertained by this model of a modern movie megahit.

You're free to expect something else from the movies you pay to see. But this movie delivers what it sets out to deliver. The exact commercial exchange promised by all the movie's advertising from the day the first teaser trailer was released is that you will give Disney some of your money, and in return Disney will provide you with a movie that reminds you in an exceptionally entertaining way of exactly how much fun you had watching the original trilogy.

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    If a movie doesn't drive me to the depths of nihilistic despair and the heights of joy while simultaneously making me question my very existence and every decision I've ever made, then it is an utter failure. If other people like it, well then that's even worse.

/s

3. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but I really don't need modern movie megahits in my life. I was working while the newest Avengers movie was on last night, and seeing TFA again today was just more of the same. Good guys running, making sassy jokes, lots of explosions, unrequited angst, and triumphing against all odds. Is looking for an original, well-plotted, and character-driven sci-fi movie asking too much? 'Cause then I'm happy to stick to reading those things--what're they called? Oh, books.

WAZZER likes this.
  4. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    I don't expect Star Wars to be a Blade Runner or 2001 and it shouldn't try to be.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Not to be that guy, but Shakespeare wrote MacBeth to kiss King James's a, er, ingratiate himself to King James. He had become accustomed to a certain standard of living, and when James took the throne, he was worried that his plays might not be in demand at court anymore. Maybe choose one of the comedies for your example, perhaps? :cool:

rdhight and Rylo Ken like this.
  6. xaxiomatic

xaxiomatic Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 26, 2015
    Erm.. I want to be entertained by the movie I'm watching not reminded how much fun I had watching a different one. Nostalgia doesn't do much for me personally so if I had to pick one thing it would probably be originality.

WAZZER likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know that I have ever looked for Haute Arte in my movies and I don't analyze them too much either. In fact, one reason I like sci-fi and fantasy is that it is not realistic, it is escapism and helps me escape. I have enough deep **** in my reality, thank you, and I don't need it in films. When I want to reflect on the deep **** in my reality, I'll go hiking or running. I both escape and solve problems then. I don't want to do that while munching popcorn in the theater.

It can be cool when a film reflects my overall cynicism, the way the PT did with my views on politics, but it's not something I need. And while some people actively look for the feels, I don't.

So...yeah. TFA did what it set out to do.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

That's fine. No one is required to like The Force Awakens. I'm just saying it's a perfectly acceptable Star Wars movie with perfectly acceptable artistic goals for a high level commercial endeavor.

you're being that guy. What you're talking about is idle speculation concerning a point about which there is insufficient evidence in the historical record. It's a set of assumptions arising out of one possible interpretation of the text of the play itself within its historical context.