main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary What's everybody listening to?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Dooks, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Just wondering what people are listening to music wise these days right now here is what I'm checking out:

- MC Lars: The Graduate
    - Eagles of Death Metal: Death By Sexy
    - Slayer: Reign in Blood
    - Cadence Weapon (might of spelled that wrong and forget the album name)
    - Atreyu (both new and old album)

That's all for now so post as everyone is always looking for new stuff to listen too.

2. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    "The Legend Of" Johnny Cash
    Soundtracks for ROTS, LOTR
    "Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild" CKY
    "Razorblade Romance" HIM
    All of Blink182's cds since Enema of the State, except for their greatest hits cd
    Random songs on iTunes, there's a big network of users in residence sharing music.
    the song "Streamline" by Newton. It's the song on the Jimmy Fallon/Parker Posey Pepsi commercial.

3. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Aaron Pritchett right now(and going to meet him at lunch, eeee, very excited!)
    Franz Ferdinand
    Death Cab for Cutie
    and i'm always listening to Madonna, her new CD is pretty fab if you haven't heard it.

4. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    The air conditioning in my office - shut down, then start, then shut down. I swear, it's going to snow in here any minute... [face_tired] Man, I need a good SW night!

5. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    This morning I got up to work on my essay that's due at 5 today (which I am almost complete) and someone in a nearby room had left without shutting off their alarm. It went on for 2 hours! E chu ta to them.

6. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    My newest fav are The Aqua Velvets - to quote their website: A Fascinating Blend of spaghetti western, shimmering psychedelia, pristine surf, latin rhythms, mysterious faraway places, and a tongue-in-cheek dash of lounge.

For mindless background/working out I just finished a mix I call "Training Montage - Slayer" (all of my workout mixes are based on the "Training Montage" - you know, the part in the show where the heroine learns how to throw axes and stuff. I also have a TM - Jedi for instance :) ) So, in addition to a couple Buffy theme covers it's mostly trance/techno with Buffy-esque themes.

Hope you keep warm, Sithatheart!
    Good luck with your essay ShatirLavan!

Oh yeah - I love Madonna too! I should check out that new one!

Jen

7. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Most of the tmie in my CD player is some compilation from "Ministry of Sound" Their "Annuals" and "Clubbers Guide to..." are usually playing.
    Also "Jedi Beat Machine" is pretty close by as well. Mostly Any club/dance/trance stuff is what I collect. Or DJ Only compilations out of the UK and US.

8. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    [face_alien_1] Well the ones i like best right now are :
    Gorillaz, Arcade fire, of course Green Day's newest album and the CD from the movie Cursed.

9. SHAAK_GG

SHAAK_GG Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2005
    That is really cool! I don't really take part in any of the threads here, but here is what I listen to:

Rascal Flatts
    Corb Lund Band
    Aaron Lines

10. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Lots of varity that's awesome plus I've been meaning to check out the arcade fire, corb lund band(he's is the movies slither), and death cab for cutie.

11. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I like bits of everything (except country), especially if it's fast. I love industrial, freestyle, dance, 80's pop, lotsa soundtracks, and old skool rap & funk!

Right now the discs are:

RevCo - Cocked and Loaded (new and worth it)
    Ultramagnetic MC's (they even sample Star Wars!)
    The Official Adventures of GrandMaster Flash (The Darth Vader of the Slide-Fader!)
    The Prodigy - Dirtchamber Sessions & Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned
    Sugarhill Records Box (tru skool)
    SuperPerfect Madonna Collection (my favorite pre-kaballah mixes)
    The Rock OST (it's like living GI Joe)
    Blondie Live (the absolute greatest $4 walmart cd ever)

...and the songs I keep hitting repeat on:

Gigi D'Augustino - I'll Fly With You
    Rachel Starr - Lucky Star
    The Servant - Cells (from the Sin City trailer)
    The Prodigy - Baby's Got A Temper
    Emotions - Best Of My Love
    Ministry - The Great Satan
    2K - **** The Millenium

Great thread Dooks!

12. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    *Gasp* Why do people hate it? Personally, I hate rock. I could make the same music they do when I hit pots and pans together. Rap, well, I won't go there. Anyways, lets not get anything started.

Anyways, I thought I should also mention the songs I keep repeating on my Media Player to:

These Days-Rascal Flatts
    Prayin' for Daylight- Rascal Flatts
    Hair in my Eyes like a Highland Steer- Corb Lund Band
    Alberta Bound- Paul Brandt
    Fox on the Run- Brett Kissel
    Convoy- Paul Brandt
    Days go By- Kieth Urban

And a few others, but I don't repeat them likes these ones.:)

13. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    My current fixations include

Jonathan Coulton - Geek folk rock
    Flight of the conchords - um.. Geek folk rock
    Smash-up Derby - Mashup band
    7 Seconds of Love - Ska
    Best of Bootie 2005

14. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    I love country, Aaron Pritchett was so nice(not to mention gorgeous!) We went to the Brooks & Dunn concert, w/ Sara Evans and A.P. last night, what a great show! Rascal Flatts is amazing as well.

Starkiller77 posted:Ministry - The Great Satan

Are you going to see them? I know they're coming in May, I love Ministry!

15. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    i'm a floyd fan, and johnny cash as well ...i listen to alot of classic rock and soundtrack scores

16. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    I have met George Canyon, Gil Grand, and Tera Lee (Though she only released one song0. Brett Kissel, I have met him. He is pretty popular here, and someday he might be better than guys like George Strait.:eek:

17. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    That's awesome! I've seen George Canyon several times, but have never had the chance to meet him. He's really talented. I don't think I have ever heard of Brett Kissel, he's pretty good? I might have to see if I can find something by him, is there anything he sings that I might know?

18. Jodo_Kast_Unleashed

Jodo_Kast_Unleashed Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    I like whatever music Jamie tells me to like. It's the simple life for me!

19. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    I can make a CD for you and bring it to the Calgary Toy show if you are there. He is 15, but he is awesome! When he begins travelling he is really going to do good. He was at the Big Valley Jamboree last year. And he is only 15! He has a gift for country music.

He is from Bonnyville, so around here he is very popular. He has a song on Cat Country and CFCW. It is called "Fox on the Run".

20. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    When I was in middle and high school I knew a kid who's about 17 now named Mitch Howanyk who played the fiddle well enough to beat the devil. The Kelowna Rockets used to have a player named Vern Fiddler, and whenever he scored a goal, "Fiddler Mitch" would come out and play a tune. Rising stars are all over the place.

21. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    That would be great! I went to BVJ last year, but I don't remember him, but there are always so many bands playing, you never see them all. Leigh-anne Rimes started when she was 14, alot of country artists start out really young. Do you usually go to Big Valley? It's so much fun... I always look forward to it.

22. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Hmm...can't say I've bought anything new in the past 3 months or so. I keep listening to a few old fav's over and over...

ROTS soundtrack (CAN'T GET ENOUGH. Every time I hear it, I re-live the entire movie [face_love] )
    Theory of a Deadman - the new CD is fantastic. Got to meet them when they were in Calgary a few months back - they were cool, really down-to-earth)
    Linkin Park - Meteora
    some old Madonna (mostly Ray of light)
    Blink 182
    Green Day
    some old house music (I found an old box of cassette tapes with stuff I taped off the radio in my club days - man I miss those days)

23. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    music...I must say that "back in the day" it was easier to keep track of the artists, and bands. Nowadays, I wouldn't know if it was: an infectous disease, a US government alert warning or etc. I have absolutely lost track of who is who... and barely listen to radio in Calgary. If someone can tell me or recommend a very good band to listen to, this will be greatly appreciated. Since I never did buy music in the past,(library only), I think looking into burning CD's is a very good option xcept that I don't have a clue where to start burning.

So for now: Huey Lewis & the News. Bryan Ferry.Spritualized,Dido,Aimee Mann, Lou Reed, and lately...Morrissey, not much Smiths though.

24. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    Isn't the new song from Rascal Flatts, "Hurts the Most" great? I am so excited to hear in on the radio whenever it comes on!

25. Vadersmistress66

Oct 3, 2005
    Went and saw Death Cab last night, they were BRILLIANT. Have you heard them, or just wanted to check them out?

Shakk, have you seen the video to " What hurts the most"? I was crying, it was so sad...but it is an amazing song. I've yet to get the CD, but I think i'm going to have to pick it up soon. I really hope they come out this way to play(mabye Stampede?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.