main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's everyone's problem with the power of the force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by missile, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    To put it in perspective, whenever there's mention of powerful uses with force like pulling star destroyers,force pushing armies, lifting tanks off the ground, or like using the force to breath underwater(don't think that ever happened though),surviving in outer space, there always considered OP characters or just plain ridiculous.

Example starkiller

I can understand if characters are to powerful to the point that they haft stay out of the plot entirely(legends luke), But is everyone so shaken by stuff like taking down star destroyers? There are practically thousands of them and a signature power of the force is telekinesis, they are basically begging for an author or writer to have a jedi pull them in a dramatic jaw dropping scene.

What im saying is that I hope the new canon doesn't try to avoid having "OP" characters to the point of making the power the force kinda lame which does sound childish for me to say. not saying we should have random jedi throwing buildings around,I just hope that people's thinking is that "well yoda was shown kinda(maybe) struggling to lift an X-wing, so obviously that's the limit."

2. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Force Users have never been represented as DC levels of powerful in the movies, and people are fine with them being that way. I personally think they should be kept that way, and not...well...

Yeah...this is Star Wars, not DBZ.

Dandelo and CT1138 like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When characters are depicted as too powerful, a lot of suspense is lost from the story. Who's going to worry about an invulnerable character getting hurt? That's boring, and for me it's hard to believe in and impossible to identify with.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Everyone? I must have missed a poll. Again.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Can anyone try and tell me they did not enjoy what Yoda does in the first episode of Clone Wars?

6. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I agree. Also, the movie would end way too quickly. :D

7. CloneTrooper9000

CloneTrooper9000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    The most important part of this is left out. The beginning that shows that the story is being told from a child's perspective.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Even if so, the rest of the Micro-Series was still nutty. General Grevious anyone?

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Is that what it was supposed to be?

10. CloneTrooper9000

CloneTrooper9000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014

I think the opening made that pretty obvious. The kid watching the battle unfold and the over the top action, which really wasn't seen in the rest of the series, seem to point that this is a tale being embellished by the excitement and imagination of a child.

As for the scene with Grievous, I think that was more in tune with Genndy Tartakovsky's animation style. The action in that scene wasn't nearly as over the top as it was in the Windu story.

11. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Thread title is misleading,I thought of this when reading the title -

[​IMG]

Iron_lord and CT1138 like this.
  12. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    That's one of the biggest issues I have with Rebels. Kanan and Ezra have become way too powerful for two force users who basically amount to a Padawan and Youngling. The writers have taken away any sense of danger in the show. And as they continually increase their force abilities, the plausibility of their actions decreases. And it's gotten to the point of creating infallible characters which ruins the potential excitement of the show.

13. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    Because once you open that door you can rarely close it, unless you have exceptional writers.

As an Example:

Star Wars ANH and ROTJ both showcased space stations of gargantuan size (the size of a small moon) in the Death Stars...So for TFA what does JJ Abrams do to reclaim the wonderment/Awe of an audience already numb to Death Stars? He creates a Planet sized weapon, which actually IS a planet. Now instead of being powered by hypermatter reactors like the Death Stars, this new base/superweapon siphons all of the power and energy of a nearby star and can destroy several, not one, planets with its superlaser.

So think of it that way... Have a character like Galen Marek who can pull Star Destroyers out of the sky and what's next? A Jedi that can pull down moons to destroy planets? Then what? A Jedi that can cause stars to collapse in on themselves, creating black holes, and then travel through the black holes to time travel? It starts to get a little ridiculous, Because these super beings can theoretically exert their will without contest and end any conflict before it begins...So then we will need super villains to balance out the super heroes. And you no longer have Star Wars, you have super Jedi wars.

The best measure to prevent completely ridiculous scenarios like the one above is conservative assignment of powers, and the conservative use of violence and action sequences. Saturate the actions more with emotion to lift the observer, instead of increasing the grandeur of the action itself. A good example is Poe and Finn escaping the Finalizer. It's not over the top action, but you feel the thrill through the acting and character's excitement. Or by comparing a well choreographed Light Saber duel to Thor in avengers destroying 20 robots with one swing of a hammer. The Light Saber duel is more conservative in its scope, but also more exciting and affecting.

We are seeing movies now like the Avengers movies that are getting a little ridiculous with the action.. soon the audience will crave superheroes that can punch holes through planets to satisfy their dulled taste buds.

Why is cocaine bad for ya? because it dulls the nerves, and simple pleasures of life no longer have any effect on you... same goes for fiction.. if you make it too crazy.. the next story has to be crazier and crazier and crazier...

better to explore other areas and activate other modes of pleasure, instead of over-using and over-exploiting one... which is why I feel Rogue One is overdue and completely welcomed by me... it's bringing Star Wars back down.. forcing people to take a look at more "regular" heroes.. and I bet it will be every bit as rewarding

Sarge and Dandelo like this.
  14. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Ord Sorrell likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

There's Kit Fisto throwing telekinetic balls of force that shatter tank armor, Yoda lifting hundreds of battle droids into the air at once, smashing two landing craft together, etc. Ventress and Anakin hurling trees and stone columns around on Yavin IV.

Mace does some pretty impressive things in the Battle of Coruscant as well.

It isn't just the Seismic Tank On Dantooine scene that shows a high power level - it's fairly consistent throughout the series.

Personally I don't object to that power level though.

It's when telekinesis reaches system-spanning levels (making the gases in an entire nova remnant form shapes) from a relatively ordinary Dark Jedi (Brakiss, in Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers) not being powered by special crystals or a Sith Temple, that I wonder if it's excessive.

16. WattoIsAJedi

WattoIsAJedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    Why is the force shown to be a lot stronger sometimes than other times? Like in the force unleashed it was a lot more powerful than in the movies

17. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Well the force unleashed is no longer canon but back when it was I am pretty sure that while the story of Galen was canon the actual over the top force powers were more there to show off their physics engine and also just make that portion of the game fun. As for the Micro series that has more to do with who created it artistic license. Outside of that the only other time I remember crazy force powers was Sidious in Dark Empire( a series I am not to fond of) and in that case since he is considered to be one of the strongest Sith Lords ever so it can explain the power he has them though again it goes back to why didn't he do that against Vader but again I wasn't ever a fan of Dark Empire one of the worst points in the EU for me.

18. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Yeah I mean I enjoy the micro series and appreciate the level of animation and work that went into it but while the story I always considered canon the actual scenes just couldn't fit as they fight nothing like the Jedi in the movies. Before Filoni's CW and my discovery of the EU this was one of the only other SW stories out there outside the movies and at the time I really loved it. Still find it enjoyable but agreed it gets to the point of insanity of how crazy overpowered a lot of the Jedi are portrayed.

19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The EU should be unique and show stuff bigger than the films. I wouldn't want it to be in the shadow of the films, like it is now. So, yeah, I would like to see more powerful force users. I have to say, extreme power should be less common, and more extraordinary, like Nihilus for example.

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

It's basically used as required by the plot. Vader says, "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force", and yet he can't get information from Leia in ANH, nor locate the rebel base in ANH or ESB. Force users can lift huge objects, but cannot fly (only jump assists). In the ROTJ novelization, Palpatine essentially controls the Imperial fleet during the battle, which is why they fall apart and lose after he is killed.

For the first time, the Death Star rocked. The collision with the exploding
    Destroyer was only the beginning, leading to various systems breakdowns, which led
    to reactor meltdowns, which led to personnel panic, abandonment of posts, further
    malfunctions, and general chaos.
    Smoke was everywhere, substantial rumblings came from all directions at once,
    people were running and shouting. Electrical fires, steam explosions, cabin
    depressurizations, disruption of chain-of-command. Added to this, the continued
    bombardments by Rebel cruisers—smelling fear in the enemy—merely heightened
    the sense of hysteria that was already pervasive.
    For the Emperor was dead. The central, powerful evil that had been the
    cohesive force to the Empire was gone; and when the dark side was this diffused, this
    nondirected—this was simply where it led.
    Confusion.
    Desperation.
    Damp fear.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016

Yeah, even considering that this is from a child's POV, it's still way ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.