main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's GL's stance on Bin Laden?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by 4DM, May 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4DM

4DM Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2003
    Those terrorists get 'furious' at people making films, and did what they did based partly on that. So does GL make films despite their anger or is there some secret collaboration? I would like to make films (why? because they are fun) but I don't want to go to hell for it....

[color=indigo]While some interesting points have been touched on, I don't think this is heading anywhere constructive. Sorry, but I'll have to lock. Try the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10320]"senate floor" forum[/link] for more in depth discussion of terrorism, if you're so inclined. [/color]

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Ummm. I'm not quite sure what the content of your post is supposed to mean, but I can sure answer the question posed in the topic.

Lucas seems politically moderate/mildly-conservative to me and I think would advocate military force to get rid of bin Laden if neccesary.

As for his take on the guy himself... Star Wars clearly is a series in favor of freedom and safety for the good people of the world, and there is no room for people like bin Laden in that sort of vision!

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    What if Bin Laden is right though? Recently I've been thinking about it a lot and actually came to the conclusion that the terrorists are right - I'm not saying killing people is right - they did it because they knew all the passengers etc. would enter paradise or something like that. I can't remember the reasoning, but that was the conclusion and I was really shaken by it, and what 'freedom' is actually doing to me. But I really want to make films and have great passionate ideas that really drive me yet there's the issue if it's right or wrong. I'm thinking if GL can do it why can't I?

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    What does this have to do with the forum. Not only should it be locked but probably deleted or heavily edited.

Nudge nudge moderators...

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Don't worry, I'm watching.

So far this is just about Lucas & the influence of terrorism on his work. It's OK for now, but if things spiral out of control, yeah, I'll close this up.

6. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    George Lucas was raised in an Norman Rockwell-style society. Though the god of sight, sound and now digital cinema in movies, he is a very old fashioned family man. I suspect he's very much a conservative.

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Ohh I wouldn't say someone claiming that the "terrosrists" were right or that it was no big deal for about 3000 people to die constitutes somethingremotely on topic, regardless if its disguised as a discusion on Lucas views. And what does his views matter anyway. I don't care what celebrities views are for the most part. Maybe the poster doesn't know too much english. Or maybe I'm just old and grumpy.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > that it was no big deal for about 3000 people to die

He never said that.

We have seen guns removed from ET, and Greedo shooting first in Star Wars, plus a speeder crashing into a building dropped from AOTC after 9-11.

If we can not get caught up into motives behind terrorism, and focus on the way the current global climate has influenced Lucas's work, then this topic will probably survive.

But, again, it has much potential to go wrong, but unless it starts heading in that direction maybe some interesting points can be raised.

9. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    So does GL make films despite their anger or is there some secret collaboration?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Secret collaboration with whom? Bin Laden?

Certainly, studios will alter content of movies based on racial/cultural/political issues. The majority of film makers in the west, however, make movies based on what they think people will want to see or on what their artistic vision dictates.

GL finances his films himself and I doubt there's any sort of "secret collaboration" going on at Lucasfilm.

I've never met the man, but I assume that GL, like most Westerners, finds the actions of Bin Laden barbaric and would advocate getting rid of him by force.

I would like to make films (why? because they are fun) but I don't want to go to hell for it....

I'm not sure you're in the right place to discuss this... It's not my place to comment on anyone's religious upbringing or views. I doubt most people who make films think they're going to hell for it.

What if Bin Laden is right though? Recently I've been thinking about it a lot and actually came to the conclusion that the terrorists are right - I'm not saying killing people is right - they did it because they knew all the passengers etc. would enter paradise or something like that.

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't think Bin Laden's individual religious beliefs are justification for mass murder and strongly disagree with what you've just written. I'm not going to argue with you here. You may want to take this to the Senate forum.

I can't remember the reasoning, but that was the conclusion and I was really shaken by it, and what 'freedom' is actually doing to me.

What is freedom doing to you?

But I really want to make films and have great passionate ideas that really drive me yet there's the issue if it's right or wrong. I'm thinking if GL can do it why can't I?

Did 9/11 make you feel it's wrong to make films? Have you spoken to a theologian or a therapist?

As for GL's stace on terrorism and its influence in his work, I'd say he regards terrorists, gangsters and religious zealots as dangers to free society that need to be dealt with, a la Jango Fett, Jabba the Hutt, and Mola Ram.

10. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    Well, I've been diagnosed with a mental illness and maybe this is all part of that... on the other hand, you could be trying to get information out of me which would be dangerous to my well being...

The 'collaboration' would be between Bin Laden and GL, in the same kind of thing as the possible 'collaboration' between GL and Dr. Dre (the rapper) who sampled the THX sound and GL sued him... maybe that was a collaboration (though I can't remember the reason for it, but they have the money for it). Don't you think it's a bit sus that Dr. Dre would blatantley sample that sound unless it was part of his being a 'Doctor' - in the same high realm as GL? I do not think they could be enemies, which reminds me of the reason : GL is AGAINST the rappers, thus he would draw fans that were racist and then subject them to the consequences of that.

11. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    Going to hell for making films: Well, I don't know how the studios make their films, but I suspect that it is not random artistic ideas ; rathar a complicated system of information conveying thing that would control society in a certain way. That would constitute 'work' just like any other job. However I would rathar make films by creativly 'dreaming' them up without any systematic thinking so that it would not be like 'work'. This would be the reason for going to hell: 'dreaming' instead of 'working'.

12. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that, God does not give any living thing the luxury to 'dream'. The laws of life are based on that: if you 'dream' you become less impressed with life, when you should be constantly feeling alive and that would give you the thrill.

13. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    9/11 did not make me not want to make films. I was watching the UK film awards and one of the presenters said : 'Make films because in infuriates them [the terrorists]'. Well that does not make much sense to me. The presenter wants to infuriate the terrorists? Or is it saying to the audience infuriate the terrorists by making films... that means if you want to be good, do not make films. That would be a message of collaboration between the terrorists and the presenter. Sorry for not being very articulate.

14. 4DM

May 29, 2003
    However, something I don't understand: What is the terrorists vision of 'paradise'? Wouldn't it be kind of similar to Western society? Doesn't making films and so forth increase the quality of life of people and thus emulate a 'paradise'? Isn't an island getaway kind of like paradise to a terrorist? Why kill yourself, you can just go to the bahamas... where else do you want to go? Based on that logic, I'm tending to continue with my filmmaking ambition...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.