main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What's In A Name? (A/P vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dancing_Jansons, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dancing_Jansons

Dancing_Jansons Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    This is simply a light fluff piece, set two or three days after Anakin and Padme's wedding. It's a nice, domestic scene, nothing heavy. I'm sure this idea has been done to death, but I've never encountered it. Mainly because I've never read an Anakin/Padme fic before. Their son has always held more fascination for me. ;)

I have never written an Anakin/Padme fic before, either, prior to getting this strange bug. So if it stinks terribly, let me down gently, please. ;)

Another thing, I have no idea if there is a "Naberrie Cabin" but I wanted a smaller getaway than the palace seen in AOTC.

Finally, a big thanks to my best friend (a non-Star Wars fan), who patiently read this over to make sure it wasn't too stupid to post. You're the best!

Wow, long intro for a short story. Here we go.

NABOO,
    Naberrie Cabin Lake Retreat

The firelight became him. She watched him from the hall as he stoked the flames, light and shadow warring for prominence across his face. So handsome. Her husband. The thought sent a thrill through her, as it had every time she thought it, for the past two days and nights. As did the phrases 'Padme Skywalker', 'Mrs. Skywalker', and 'wife'. This was their first evening spent outside the bedroom and she blushed at that thought. Ani was a wonderfully adept husband in one way for certain.

When they'd finally decided to pull themselves out of the comfort of bed this afternoon Padme had come outside to soak up the fresh air. That's when she noticed the square parcel leaning against the cabin. Now, she held it behind her back and waited for him to give her his full attention. He had known, of course, the moment she was near.

With a final poke at the logs, Anakin dusted off his hands and turned to face her.

She simply returned his gaze, smiling, she was sure, the same lovesick smile he was giving her. She had debated, this afternoon, whether to show him the package at all. Oh, it was nothing evil or damaging in any serious way. And he could probably live his entire life without ever knowing and not be any worse for it. In fact, he would probably be better for it, she thought wryly. But in the end, she had to show him - she didn't want him stumbling across it on his own one day. He'd probably go blind. Besides, it was his gift, too.

He was staring at her. Had been for awhile now. He was still smiling but it was more confused than it had been moments ago, eyebrows raised politely, waiting for her to speak. She simply stared back.

Finally, sensing she wasn't going to answer his silent inquires he decided to vocalize them. "What's that?"

"Mm." Padme sighed and glided over to the sofa to sit next to her new husband. "Sola sent this as a?.gift." She brought the parcel out from behind her back as Anakin looked up sharply.

"You didn't tell her - "

"No, of course not. No one knows we're married." She saw him relax.

Then he smiled. "Well. What is it? You're very nervous. It can't be that bad," he teased gently.

"You may be surprised," she muttered, handing him the package. "Here. Open it."

Anakin gave her a strange look and peered warily at the package. He shook it gently, holding it up to his ear. "It doesn't bite, does it?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"It looks like it's already been opened," he observed.

"It has. I opened it earlier while you were in the bath."

"And?then you wrapped it again in the torn paper to?give to me."

"Right."

"Padme - "

"Trust me. This is something you'll want to experience in small doses." Stars, she was really worrying him! "It's okay, Anakin. There's nothing sinister about it. It's just?.loud."

Still he hesitated.

"Go ahead, open it. Just remember, it's the thought that counts."

Slowly, Anakin began peeling back the gift wrap. The first rent revealed a very beautiful sea-green and sky-blue design, outlined in gold, shimmering satin.

"Hey, a blanket!" He ran his hand over the smooth material. "It's great!"

"Unfold it," Padme ordered grimly.

2. Princess_Tranquility

Princess_Tranquility Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2002
    Awesome fic DJ you had me laughing throughout the entire thing.

I loved the original idea and it does give you a little perspective as to what may have transpired to name Luke and Leia, too bad the second set never came along.

It was great though I really have to stop listening to music while reading, I always ending up having to turn it off because of my laughter.

First Metallica's Wherever I May Roam on Neon Star's newest post letters of Complaint

Now Alice in Chains' Heaven Beside You

I really have to stop the music listening while on the boards.

Hope to see more vignettes from you maybe even a continuation series with this one as the beginning? That would be awesome!!!

PT

3. Dancing_Jansons

Oct 1, 2002
    Thanks, PT. :)

I'm not usually one for shameless self-promotion (really!), but if you'd like, I have a couple of other vignettes you can read. They're in my user profile.

Thanks again for reading and I'm glad you liked it!

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Very nice! Perhaps next time a little more 'discription' of what's happening during the conversatons?
    Overall all a nice tender piece.

5. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    "Only because I wish I had such a wizard name," he protested. "I decided when I was six that I'd never name my kids anything as sissy as 'Ani'."

Lol! Loved it!

JS

6. BrownEyes_Blue

BrownEyes_Blue Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2002
    Awwwww....this was cute! I liked the whole naming idea....very touching. *sigh* It's too bad they never got around to the second set of twins. :(

7. Yoda-Feet

Yoda-Feet Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    I personally thought that was completely adorable! I kind of agree with Breezy about the description thing, (notice, I'm doing this very gently, because I thought this story was GREAT!)BUT I almost liked it better 'short and sweet' rather than 'long and detailed'. ;)

It was humorous, and sweet and oh.. it was just adorable. I am obviously devoted to A/P, and I'd say I know my stuff... and you wrote this well, especially for your first time. I'm very impressed. I'd like to see more A/P from you in the future, because I found I liked it very much. :)

It was really, overall, a very warm and touching piece! [face_love]

Great work, looking forward to more!

-YF

8. Dancing_Jansons

Oct 1, 2002
    DarthBreezy: Thanks for replying. I'll work on that description stuff. ;) I'd say I simply prefer to leave it up to the imagination of the reader, but the fact is the dialogue came too quickly and I didn't pay much attention to the actions. I relied on the dialogue in places for sure.

It was kind of unbalanced with all of the description in the beginning and then none toward the end.

Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the suggestion!

Jazz_Skywalker: Thank you!

BrownEyes_Blue: Thanks. :) Yes, it is too bad. Their story is so sad. :(

Yoda-Feet: ::blush:: I'm very happy you think I got the characters right, thank you!

Appreciate the constructive criticism, as well. Thanks for responding. :)

9. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Hey, very nice, D_J! :D

Anakin shrugged. "I dunno. A lot, I think. Six."

"SIX?!?"

Anakin looked at her. "What's wrong with six?"

Padme rolled her eyes. "Nothing. But if you want six kids, YOU'RE going to have to give birth to them, because I'm not going to."

LOL! Yes, I can see that happening. :D I'm with you, D_J - I'm usually more drawn to stories about the next generation of Skywalkers. But this was really great. It's a lot of fun to sometimes see simple, straightforward, ordinary life fics. We so rarely get to see the characters being ordinary people. Lovely job. :D

10. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I loved it! And I like that it's short and sweet. FYI, I was bored one day and started looking up names. Anakin means warrior, so it's not really sissy at all. Isn't that ironic?

11. Dancing_Jansons

Oct 1, 2002
    Thanks, Gabri. :) I agree, normal scenes are sorely lacking in profic. It's too bad because I *love* them.

Karebear214, that is pretty funny. I actually love the name Anakin. But the nickname they stuck him with is pretty horrible, IMO! I wish they would have called him 'Nik' or 'Kin' or something.

12. DathomirianHealer

DathomirianHealer Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    Anakin shrugged. "I don't know. But not Buelah or Assface."

"Ansley."

"Whatever."

Hahahaha!!!!

{snorts and falls out of chair} [face_laugh] :D

That was great! LOL. Very cute indeed!

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Great vig. I personally like the interaction in the conversation. I hate having every single movement described to me.

Their conversation in your piece was very light and quirky banter. Something I see Anakin doing around AOTC. You captured them very well and kept the mush-just-to-be-mush at a minimum. It's weird even after AOTC's fireside dialog, I don't think Anakin would get downright slobbering mushy.

IMO, the best A/P writers keep them straight in the middle when it comes to angst, mush and even the lighter stuff. You should definitely write them again. You have Anakin down pat, and he is probably the absolute hardest to write without going over the top one way or the other. Bravo!

14. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Very sweet. I liked when she suggested "Ani" as a girl's name. Heh heh! Thanks for sharing it!

15. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Awesome viggie :)

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Hee hee hee! That was adorable. I loved the frisky Ani/Padme banter.

For some reason I saw Samwell and thought it said Samwise- so I expected Padme to call the girl Frodo- now that would've been a horrible fate for the girl- thank goodness there was only one set of twins :p

I loved that Ani "growled" his request at the end- great word to use to convey EXACTLY what he's meaning.

Great Viggie! :D

17. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Loved it! :D I always pictured that they had discussed about names and that Padme had chosen Luke because of Anakin. But you expanded on it! 2 sets of twins... [face_shocked]
    It was sweet and funny at the same time. Great work! ;)

18. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    This was so cute! I loved how they were talking over what they would call their children. I had never thought about it before. This is a tight viggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.