main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN What's in a Name?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Salacious_Crummy, Dec 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salacious_Crummy

Salacious_Crummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Has anybody noticed that character names is the SW universe sometimes have other meanings or references or sound like something else.

Examples (avoiding the obvious ones):

Borssk Fey'lya -- Last name could be pronounced to sound an awful lot like "failure" or "fail ya".

Nemoidian Senator Lott Dodd -- Combination of Republican Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott and U.S. Senator Dodd.

Viceroy Nute Gunray -- Nute from former Republican house speaker Newt Gingrich. If you rearrange the syllables in Gunray you get "Ray-Gun" which could be a reference to fromer President Reagan, or just a reference to a blaster.

Either way, something tells me Mr. Lucas is not a Republican. So does this fit the bill of anyone other than the Neimoidians: Cowardly hypocrites intent on amassing a large army and taking over land at the expense of local creatures/inhabitants. :) Hey that's just my theory.

There are tons of others some simple like Darth MAUL and others not so simple. Feel free to list others you've noticed.

2. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey, Sal, good observations! Especially for one so young. You have learned much.

Off of SW, but on the same line of thinking:

My husband and I are currently reading JRR's the Hobbit together (taking turns reading aloud) and will be following that with the Trilogy, in preparation for the much anticipated movie version. Every time I read these books over again, I am amazed at the amount of work that was put into them. Many Tolkien names can be related to Old English, Germanic and other roots, and many have significant folklore connections, etc.

3. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Yes! Tolkien is ledgendary for creating characters with awesome names. Even the names of his locations are fun to say.

Bilbo Baggins, Dol Gador, Thangorandrum. Gandalf, Sauran, Nasgal are some of my favorite names from the trilogy and some of his other writings. Please forgive my spelling, I don't have the books handy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.