main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's in the book? Journal of the Whills?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by One Quarter Portion, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

I would say, prepare to be dissapointed. :(

IF the book shown in the teaser is the Journal of the Whills. And it only contains prophecies. Then it would not include the details of Star Wars (the events that we see on-screen), or it will contradict many things.

In order for the Journal of the Whills to include what Leia or Luke thinks or feels about the Rebellion years, it would have to have been written by someone close to them AFTER the years of the Rebellion. It would not be an old written Tome of knowledge, it would be something new, that was written in between ANH and TFA. Either by Luke, C3PO, Leia or R2D2 or a combination of all of them.

If it's written like the samples shown in Aftermath and in the TFA novel (like quatrains from Nostradamus), then the quotes from the old scripts and the whole idea that what we see on screen is "as written in the journal of the Whills" is no longer valid.

Sure there's the idea that R2 will eventually write the Journal some 100 years after TFA, but that means that the Journal that was mentioned and the Journal in TFA (and RO) are two different things.

2. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    While I agree that we will certainly never hear that quote in the upcoming films as if it's read from the Journal, I don't quite understand the logic of your argument. If it's a book of prophecies then certainly it could contain a quote from an individual who was prophecized by ancient Whills. Maybe part of the prophecy included someone named Leia Organa and something she would say of importance. I'm not trying argue this will happen, only that the quote doesn't contradict it could have ancient origins.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  3. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    The Journal of the Whills isn't even written until 100 years after EP 6 I think so it can't be that book unless they have ones that cover earlier time periods. R2D2 was the info source for the Journal of the Whills I think.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    It'll all work out in the end. Just think of the Journal of the Whills as the Holy Bible of the SW universe ;)

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think Luke is going to explain to Rey that he came searching for answers and when he found/read the books he was still left with questions.

6. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    "And that, Young Padawan, is why the Galactic Public Education System has failed us all."

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm guessing that these books in the tree contain a different outlook on how the Jedi should have been perceived. Maybe they say that all Force Users are a perversion of Nature and should all be extinguished, and that the first people who had the ability to control it were mistakenly revealed its power when first visited upon this world? Whatever the case, I believe that Luke has come upon something that drastically changed his perception of what he is now, and that could only mean that the existence of the Jedi was in someway wrong. At least that's what I think, anyway. :p

8. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Maybe it explains that the Force is a parasite. Like a virus that infects the Galaxy. Neither good nor bad but just exists for the Force and by the Force.

I.E. The only goal of the Force is the Force itself and sometimes, like Viruses, they kill the Host. The purpose of the Jedi is to control the spread of the Force.

9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Virus identified: midichloriansis galaxiensis

10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's worse than a Trump tweet.

11. CloneWarBrent

CloneWarBrent Jedi Master

May 25, 2005
    I don't think the Journal of the Whills is an ancient book. I pulled my hardcover copy of the Star Wars novelization, published in 1976, from the bookshelf.

The prologue consists of a number of paragraphs that describe what the Republic once was, the rise of Palpatine, the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, and then the rise of the Rebellion. These paragraphs are attributed to the Whills as "From the First Saga, Journal of the Whills".

Then there is a second quote attributed to "Leia Organa of Alderaan, Senator". This second quote is not from the Journal of the Whills, it's something else entirely. (They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes.)

The reason I think the Journal is not ancient is because it's written in the past tense. Like Leia's quote that was taken from an unknown source, It's a very matter of fact description of events that have happened in the past. It's not a vague prediction of what will happen in the distant future. It was clearly written by someone that had lived through those events, be it Artoo or a person of the Whill species or a person of the Whill religion, or any number of other possibilities. But whoever wrote it, it wasn't someone from ancient times.

The new canon may not have Artoo be the author of the Journal 100 years after the events of the OT like Lucas intended, but they are going to have one devil of a time trying to twist the prologue's meaning if they want me to believe this was somehow from an ancient text. IMO, it would be better to show the Journal was written by the last remnants of Baze and Chirrut's religion that remained hidden and documented everything from the galactic events as it happened, and then published it once it was safe so that everyone could read and remember the horrors that came before and hopefully never let an Emperor or Empire rise again.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I remember it well. I think GL actually wrote the prologue, whereas ADF Force Ghost wrote the novelization. In the prologue, IIRC, Palpatine was a mild mannered reformer elected PRESIDENT and who eventually was controlled by bureaucrats who oppose reforms.

Since I think GL named Palpatine after the script and principal photography had been finished, that may be why he's not named in the film. He wasn't supposed to appear and die in IX. Although he appeared in V and VI as a wicked wizard-king, played by 2 actors, 1 actress, and 1 monkey, he's never named.Given GL's penchant for always changing things, it's theoretically possible he could have renamed or left nameless the Emperor in the PT.

Interestingly, while "Sith" appeared in the novel--and script and rough cut--for ANH, it too never appeared in the IT. Again, GL could have changed the name of the Jedi's main enemies for the PT--or left them out entirely. I can think of at least one alternative name.

We had only Pablo's word the Whills were canon until R1.

13. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I'd love to see it established that the Journal of the Whills is an ancient book that prophecized the events of Episode I through Episode IX.

It'd be really cool then if the other books on that shelf in the assumed first Jedi Temple had different stories from other times in the GFFA. These could then be the in universe "source" for other trilogies or larger sagas, like for example an Old Republic saga would be told in one of those other books. It actually looks like there are between 8 and 10 books on that shelf.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    *Reads thread title..

Cooking recipes..

Eh..

15. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Darth Smurf you got my post. I was being sarcastic as a twist to the midichlorian explanation of the force from the PT.

Gigoran Monk I was trying to make a joke that the story group may be trying too hard to change things that they risk going full circle and ending up where we started.

Darth Smurf and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Thank goodness! I would have worried about your sanity otherwise. :)

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm guessing that the book might contain the tale of the "Force Tree" that we've all heard before, and that Ren was this child (and first person) ever to find it, and along with his sister (maybe named Rey?) was the first Force Wielders of the Galaxy. The Knights of Ren sound like this ancient and "first" order of the Jedi that existed in his name.

Maybe the discovery was a mistake and these children weren't supposed to touch it, and that maybe the world itself was supposed to be forbidden. Maybe the tree was corrupted by the dark side and took a hold on this boy, and this corrupted child was a perversion that was allowed to spread, much like how Adam and Eve were released from Eden, and how breeding their brethren would eventually lead to a great flood that would wipe them out so that God could begin anew. But in this case, it would be the Empire who would be this flood.

Perhaps Luke reads this tome and discovers more to the story — that maybe these first Jedi were ordained by the Force to rule the Galaxy and Luke sees this as scripture, and seeing an opportunity to begin anew, he decides to train Rey as a new type of Force Wielder. It's possible Snoke resided on Acth-To before being found, and Ren may or may not be who this is.

18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    from EW

ManWithoutAStar and DarthIshyZ like this.
  19. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I am assuming talk of bringing balance to the force and the chosen one ect ect.

dolphin likes this.
  20. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    "It's so much bigger" ;)

21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Wouldn't the Balance of the Force necessitate the existence of the Sith to y'know balance things out?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    The story of Mace Windy..:)

23. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Perhaps the Journal of the Whills isn't finished?

I know in the old context, the story of "The Star Wars", and the exploits of Luke, Leia, Han , Vader, The Jedi, The Sith, The Republic, The Empire,,etc. was a story told to a Shaman of the Whills, who recorded it in the Journal at least 100 years after the OT, perhaps longer. But that doesn't mean the book in this movie CANT be the Journal.

In TLJ, it's the Journal, written by an ancient Shaman, and left in the First Jedi Temple for possibly thousands of years. It contains stories of the beginnings of the Force, prophecies, teachings, etc. that this wise Shaman learned over eons. He left it there for the beginning Jedi to learn from, or perhaps these early Jedi found it during their exploits and brought it there. It's used however or for whatever in this movie and maybe the next.

Luke and Rey either leave it there after they leave Ach-To, or maybe take it with them. But at some point in the future, the Shaman returns and retrieves the Journal, and, again, at some point in th future he encounters Artoo, who now knows what the Journal is ( having now been on Ach-To with it ) , and transcribes the Tale of The Star Wars for the Shaman , who,writes it and adds it to the lore and stories already present in the Journal about the history of the Force.

In short, just because the Journal exists in this movie, doesn't mean the stories and quotes and such of Luke and Leia can't be added to it later in time. So it can be ancient, when being used in the context of the SW novelization. You're reading an account of a story that took place, after all, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

DarthIshyZ and ManWithoutAStar like this.