main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA whats it take to be a teacher in SA

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by beezel26, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I like my job and all as a mechanic but seriously I aint up for the grease and hell that goes with it any longer. Plus I got a head full of knowledge that I routinely teach the new guys.

Is it difficult and is there a need for teachers.

2. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I reckon Skip (or Toddi ;) ) would have all the low down on that.

3. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    TEACHING REQUIREMENTS:

- 4 years of University study
    - Teacher Registration + Police Clearance
    - Being prepared to move to the country to get a full-time position, especially within the public system

That's the bare bones from an ex "chalkie" ;)

4. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Those who cant do, teach! :p

5. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    And those that can't teach write books on education ;)

6. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
  7. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    Classy. I like that video :)

What Toddi said. 4 years or an undergraduate degree plus 1 or 1.5 or 2 years of study depending on which post grad university teaching course you do.

And you don't have to move to the country. I know a few people who make a living doing relief work at a few select schools. And one who was straight out of uni when he got his job at Murray Bridge High (technically only 40 minutes away).

And there are jobs in certain subject areas (science, IT) that will land you work close to the city ;)

As far as 'those that can't do teach', I just relearnt how to do computer programming in a few days. Okay, I'm very rusty (it's been 8 years or so) but I just made a program that acknowledges who you are and accurately tells you whether you're in a healthy weight range, or otherwise. I even made it do it politely ;) Later in the week, I'll be coding up some simple games. Can do? Yes, I think so :)

8. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    it takes guts. More than ANYTHING, guts. if you can brave a classroom of teenagers or whingey whiney little kids, you deserve to be a teacher... thats what i think anyway.

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I deal with whiney customers so thats not too bad. although the idea of taking a job in the country doesnt sound too bad. its called the new beginnings program. Basically guys and gals like me in the regular jobs going back for a year or two of college training and then learning to teach and teach in a country school. the idea of going out to the country to teach sounds better.

10. Darth_Hunky

Darth_Hunky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, I've been doing it for 15 years and knowledge is good, sure. Yeah it's a difficult course of study, but not mind-mindingly so.

The key is:

Do you like kids?

Do you have a psiion for your subject matter?

Can you relate to them in a meaningful way as to have a genuine, positive, life-long impact on their lives?

AND....

Could you imagine putting up with 25 of the most annoying ones you can think of (coz it does happen occasionally) for about 6-7 hours of the day?

Anything less tha an unreserved "yes!" may indicate you aren't suited to the profession. It has one of the the highest turnover rates of any profession.

Read my blog on my MySpace page!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.