main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon What's on Your Bookshelf ?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crashdown, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I was just looking on my bookshelf - you know the one dedicated to Star Wars - and thinking about which book I should read next. So I through I would share with you all the books that I have already read in the hopes that you could give me some suggestions of good books. So here goes....Lets Talk Books:

THE BOOKS I HAVE READ
    Rogue Planet (read about 1/3 then put it down - Boring)
    Shatterpoint
    Han Solo Adventures (all three)
    Han Solo Trilogy
    -The Paradise Snare
    -The Hutt Gambit
    -Rebel Dawn
    Shadows of the Empire
    The truce at Bakura
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions of the Force
    Children of the Jedi (read about ½ then put it down)
    Darksaber

I am currently about 1/3 the way through Dark Rendezvous and it's a pretty good book so far. I have not read any of the New Jedi Oder books yet, or the X-Wing series although I have started the first book.

2. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Is Dark Rendezvous the Clone Wars Book about Yoda? If it is, I'm glad to hear it's good. I don't own many Star wars books, but the here's what I have read:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    Tales from Jabba's Palace
    Tales from Mos Eisley (see a pattern?)
    Shadows of the Empire
    The Cestus Deception
    Shatterpoint
    Jedi Trial
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Revenge of the Sith

So I noticed that you don't have the last two in my list in there. If you haven't read the novelization of ROTS, you should. I found it much better than the film - which I really did like. It helped me understand some of the points GL failed to convey. Anakin's turn to the dark side (IMO) was much more believeable. And Labryinth of Evil was pretty good too. If you haven't read that, read it before ROTS. The things that were happening just before the attack on Coruscant were just amazing.

Unfortunately, I read both of these before seeing the second series of Clone Wars - which pretty much kicks film/novel/cartoon continuty in the back of the head. What you read in the novels seems much more "realistic" than the superhero approach of the cartoon. Don't get me wrong, they're fun...but I found what I read in the books to be much more enjoyable.

-Kyle

3. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Ya, I've been looking into Labyrinth of Evil, reading reviews, etc. It sounds like a good book. I may read it next. I've been waiting fror Revenge of the Sith to come out on paperback (I never buy hard back), or has it already come out?

Dark Rendezvous is the Yada Book, and so far so good. I hope it doesn't slow down. When I am done with the book I will post my review.

4. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    Who has time to read anymore....ayayayay....:oops:

5. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Now, don't give me that !! [face_shame_on_you]

If you have time to post on this board like 100 times a day, you surely have time to read a few books now and then. :p

6. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Typing a few short messages is a LITTLE different than reading a full length book. :p

7. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Yeah, I thought my grandma would know this, she knows everything, even if she is wrong. :)

Ahh, the bookshelf I have has movies on it. Any book I have is just lying on the floor somewhere.

8. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Larena, I know you have at least read The Courtship of Princess Leia?

9. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes I've read MANY books back in the day....before high school! :_|

10. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Ah yes, I forgot that you were in "HIGH SCHOOL".

High school is indeed the "most" busy and stressful time in ones life. Thank God I'm now out of high school and have the time to do all the things I always wanted to do. :p

11. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    GEE, THANKS. Make me feel like some clueless little girl :p

I'm TECHNICALLY a few weeks away from being OUT of high school so THERE. [face_not_talking]

haha.

But truly. Maturity only comes of realizing you don't HAVE to worry about maturity. :D

Even though there is a flaw in that statement. Because you DO have to act certain ways in certain situations in life.

12. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    What see said.

13. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I don't think you are a clueless little girl. 8-}
    I'm just giving you a hard time.

How can you be a few weeks out of HS when the year just started? [face_thinking]

But you are correct.....Maturity is over rated.

P.S. What were we talking about ? ..... Oh ya, BOOKS !!!!
    How did we get so off topic?

14. medfordforcemaster

medfordforcemaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    i read all my star wars books. Now I'm reading Forgotten Realms books. I love these!! keep me on my toes

15. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    it's YOUR fault that we got off topic. :D

so anyways. I was in the library during lunch today on the computer. And nobody was online. And i was SO SO SO BORED. and I thought to myself "hm, maybe I should read a book" hahaha! as I look at all the books surrounding me. They even have SW books in there, pretty awesome.

16. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Actually, I have no Star Wars books on my main bookshelf right now! :eek:

But, in my cabinet where I put all the books that I don't frequently use/read/reference, I have a few. The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy is up there, which back in the earlier years I thought was amazing (and I still do think it's rather beautiful) but rereading it a year or two ago I discovered it was rather poorly written technically, and couldn't get through the first book, so shot to the last one, since that's where the beauty of the series comes full flesh. But I digress. Others include the original movie novelisations, that really shoddy Young Jedi series or whatever, a New Jedi Order book a friend through at me but I couldn't stand, Jedi Search and some others by the same author. And of course Shadows of the Empire.

All in all, it was very hard for me to get into SW books. It's kinda the same with the likes of books by Robert Jordan and Salvador. I can't stand them, even though I am very into Fantasy and Sci-Fi novels. I think it has to do with very expected story lines, characters, plot devices, overly complex twists (and in the case of Fantasy, overly complex names like Xhsi'Hzay-Lor, with no linguistics soundness or plausibility whatsoever.)

But in those darkening skies, there is of course a shining pillar of hope to save the world from cliche SciFanFi works. And that pillar would be the most glorious Glen Cook, and his wonderful series The Black Company. Brilliance, pure brilliance. Never has the concept of "human" been captured with such grit and hard reality in a fantasy world ruled by the sword and myth. And for the Sci-Fi, I would say the parallel of Glen Cook would be Orson Scott Card with Ender's Game. Now it's pretty over-read and over-hyped, and the sequels weren't that all that great, but even still. A moving and emotional Sci-Fi book like no other. Now those books are on my Shelf of Goodness.

There is more of course, ranging from LeGuin and Tolkien, to Gygax and Jackson, to Keats and Milton, and finally to the root of language itself, but that may be continuing to stray from the original topic a bit more than I see is suitable, haha.

And with that: Fin.

17. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    *Hits PRINT on computer to print Vengeance's list*

Thanks Vengeance, I will look into these authors !

18. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I have about 50 Star Wars books

Lots of history books, Was A History Major and Geography Minor in college!

Island of the lost Maps (Great non-fiction book)

Several random books!

Lots of atlas's and Map books!

19. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    After the OT movies, I really got into the EU Lit. I think that I stumbled upon Timothy Zahn's The Last Command in our local library. I loved it and so I read and read and read until Vector Prime. I got bored with VP and that's the only one I haven't read that's on my SW shelf. I use to have some of the older essential guides, but I think they got demolished by my younger brother when he was much younger. My interest is returning, so I might start to add to my collection again.

I usually mangage to read a bit in school, but this last term at my new college didn't allow me to read at all. I am very happy to have gotten in some good books this winter break though.

IJedi's SW book list:

The Dark Rival
    The Phantom Menace
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    The Paradise Snare
    The Hutt Gambit
    Rebel Dawn
    The Mandalorian Armor
    Slave Ship
    Hard Merchandise
    A New Hope
    Splinter in the Mind's Eye
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Shadows of the Empire
    The Return of the Jedi
    The Truce of Bakura
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
    I, Jedi
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions of the Force
    Planet of Twilight
    The New Rebellion
    Ambush at Corellia
    Assault at Selonia
    Showdown at Centerpoint
    Spector of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Vector Prime
    Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    Tales from Jabba's Palace
    Tales from the Empire
    Tales from the New Republic
    Galactic Phase Book and Travel Guide
    Star Wars Adventure Journal #5

-IJedi

[EDIT: Added three books that I almost forgot, The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy.]

20. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    Oh and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is excellent! I'm hoping to work on the movie after I graduate. Well, that's just daydreaming, but I am a Film and Television major.

-IJedi

21. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I both fear and anticipate the arrival of that film. It would have to be done just right, and with no first time or big time actors, to be a good adaptation. What frightens me the most is the rumour that they may be fleshing out a ridiculous love story or something along those lines in it as a sub-plot. Aside from that, the only other "real" worry I have (aside from Hollywood happening to the film) is about the directer slated for it. This is the same guy that produced Troy. Granted he did do a good job with Das Boot and Air Force One, but I don't think he can do the Ender's Game genre of Sci-Fi correctly and have it feel the way it should.

But this is all the typical worrying that goes into such films. Hopefully it turns out better than I expect. It's your job to make sure that doesn't happen, IJ. ;)

22. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    Those are the same concerns I have. Remember not long after SW: Ep. 1 came out that people were worried that Jake Lloyd would be cast as Ender? I, and I think a lot of other people, were relieved when they said they would push back making the movie, so he would be too old for the part. They had problems with financing it, was the rumor I heard. It would be difficult to cast for the movie if they follow the book, since there is a large discreptcy in their ages throughout. I was concerned about the same problem in the movie for Memoirs of a Geisha, but they seemed to use only two actresses for one character and it turned out alright. It would be very hard to make right, but I think if done right, it would be a really good movie adaptation.

When it gets too late at night, I tend to ramble in my writings. Please excuse it. :)

-IJ

23. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    Oops! I have Star Wars Adventure Journal #7, not 5. It's the one with the Thrawn stories in it, bc Thrawn kicks a--! :p

-IJedi

24. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I got Labyrinth of Evil for Christmas and plan to start reading it this weekend. Is it a good book? Hay, Grumpydevil, you read the book....is it good.

I also got the new Star Wars Locations book....It's one of the best diagram/sections books that I've seen. I highly recommend it.

25. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Crashdown,

I thoroughly enjoyed Labryinth of Evil. As a prequel to the prequel, I found it a "must-read". Parts of the book are downright edge-of-your-seat enjoyment. BTW, if you haven't read the ROTS novel, I'd be very interested in hearing your (or anyone else's) thoughts on the two if you read LOE and then follow it up with ROTS.

As an update to my list of books that I've read, I went on vacation and just read The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster. I liked it very much. It slightly suffers from the "political" aspects of the prequels (anyone see that Simpsons episode that roasts TPM?), the book is basically about a linchpin planet that is threatening to remove itself from the Republic. But it was great to read an adventure that stars Obi-wan, Anakin, Luminara Unduli and her padawan, Barriss Offee. Interesting alien life in that book, sometimes, I wish I had an exhaustive portable databank that I could carry with me at all times. So I could say, "Hmmm.... I wonder what the Alwari really look like." I could just look it up. I actually find that I could use that kind of thing quite a bit.

I then started reading Med-Star II: Jedi Healer. That also is about Barriss Offee, but it's a Clone Wars novel. I haven't gotten very far yet, but the first page or two actually references a really great part of The Approaching Storm!

And on another note, Heir To The Empire is currently on hold for me at the local library. I'm exited to start reading my first post-ROTJ novel. :-B

-Kyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.