main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon What's on Your Bookshelf ?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by crashdown, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    I read Med-Star Healer II: Jedi Healer earlier this winter break. I don't have a lot of experience with prequel novels, but this one was really good and made me want to look into others. EU novels are mostly good, but really they're just more legit fanfics by pros. Fanfics on a larger scale or something. It doesn't stop my addiction to them or fanfics in general. lol

I guess we should warn each other about books NOT to read. The #1 SW book not to read would be Planet of Twilight. Uck, it was awful.

Happy Readings!

-IJedi

2. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    One sign of the Apocalypse has allready occured, I bought abook last week and started reading it!!! I bought 24 Declassified: Operation Hell Gate. Hvaent gotten that far into it, only about 10 pages or so but its good so far.

3. Lilly_Valley

Lilly_Valley Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    So the 24 book is good, I heard it wasnt. I love 24 so I was going to go and buy it but then I was told that. So do you think so far its good enough to buy?

4. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Books I'm reading (for class):

Video Basics 4
    Art Through The Ages vol. 2

5. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    Well so far it is good, It takes place before Season 1 so you have alot of the people in saeons 1 here. So far all they have done is tracked down a terrorist group to stop them from shooting a plane down with missles. Several people in the Ampitheater, told me that OHG was a pretty good one and the 2nd book, Veto Power was an even better one. Give me a little bit more time and Ill let you know how it is. I really only bought it because I was with a friend and she told me I should read more, so I saw that and picked it up for $7. I figured, if anyone can get me to read, its Jack Bauer...or should I call him Frank Flynn. :)

6. Lilly_Valley

Lilly_Valley Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    Well thank you. Yeah as soon as you get more into it let me know. If you want here is my email address if you ever want to email me. Lilly_Valley_06@hotmail.com hehe Yeah Frank, I dont know why they made him a Frank is so does not look like a Frank. Anyways have fun reading.

7. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    I will thanks, although it will probably have to be after 24 tonight. :) Im just waiting for the writers to work him into say "Freeze, Im Fedaral Agent Frank Flynn." Luckily everyone knows him by is real neam now so they will call him by that, and if they dont, I think hell have some bodies to carr around ;)

8. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Sorry, it's been a long time since I've posted. Currently, just finished reading Dark Lord:RoDV, on to Dark Nest2, and waiting for Outbound Flight. I tend to read about 2-3 books a month plus comicbooks, and of course everything on my bookshelf has to do with SW.

9. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    I also just read Dark Lord...what'd you think of it?

-Kyle

10. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    I really like J.Luceno's style, action was good and it's always exciting to read about New planets. I think the way he delved into DV feelings when dealing with his suit and his pursuit of the Jedi going against the Emperor's wishes was cool. Funny how the Force works in mysterious ways. Just about finished with Dark Nest2, and will read Dark Nest 3 before Outbound Flight comes out by the end of the month, til then make mine Marvel.

11. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, I've finally picked back up The Lord of the Rings (The Two Towers), after about a year of hiatus......What a good book. I read the first book about three years ago, and The Hobbit about 20 years ago. I'm hoping to go straight though the second book and read and finish the third book.....but because I tend to get distracted with other things, it's likely that I wont get to the third book for awhile.

12. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    Has anyone read 1984? I was told my 2 friends that I should pick it up and read it. I plan on doing that soon i was just wondering if anyone else read it and what they thought about it.

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    What you NEED to have on your bookshelf is a copy of my book! ;) Then you'd be happy and cool both at once.

14. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    I just finished reading MEDSTAR II: JEDI HEALER. It was nice to read a Story that had a large focus on Barriss Offee. I thought it was a pretty good read. Lots of medical stuff though - kind of like Star Wars mash with none of the humor, but twice the drama...

-Kyle

15. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    By the way, how are your book sales going. I have read several reviews on your book, and all seem good. I would like to get a copy and read it, it's just finding the time. Also, if I get the book and like it, I would have to admit that fact to you, which would be very difficult, especially considering your ego. [face_laugh]

16. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    HAHA, I don't really have that big of an ego, I just like to joke around and sometimes provoke some controversy. I try not to do it too often, though, I'm a diplomat in person and very easy going ;) I just like to make people think, you know, get 'em fired up a bit online, it can be fun. I don't like flaming, that's lame, I don't like insulting people, but I do like making them think. Though I've realized over my years that I'm not going to change too many people's minds, so I don't try so hard anymore ;)

Book sales are slow but steady, people are finding it, I sell a few copies a month somehow, same number roughly per month, and I sell some personally off Amazon too, so it's kind of cool. I just am glad people have enjoyed it, that was my intent, to give something back to the fan community, something useful, hopefully entertaining and fun.

17. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    I think you may one day get a pleasant surprise. Your book sales will remain slow and steady, then one day they will shoot up as the result of all the word of mouth going around. So keep at it, and next time I have some spare cash you may find that you have sold one more copy.[face_dancing]

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I hope you're right ;) At least the book is out there for people to find should they be interested. I'd really like to write my sequel still. I just got another notice today from the editors of this book I contributed an essay to that the book is on schedule for a summer release. It's called "Finding the Force in the Star Wars Franchise: Fans, Merchandise and Critics." I have no idea how good of a book it will be, since I haven't read the other essays besides my own, but it seems like they have some good content so I think it'll turn out well. It might be slightly more scholarly in nature, though. They said they were trying to make it readable for general audiences, but I know from my own essay (I worked on it with a professor who was my 2nd author) that they were going for some scholarspeak and whatnot, haha.

19. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    I picked up Republic Commando:Triple Zero, not far into it, but I like all the Mando speak. Plus there is a Mandalorian glossary in the back. Very cool.

20. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Cool - let me know how that book turns out, I've got a small list of unread Clone Wars novels that I may just buy used at Powells and the Republic Commando book is one of them. I liked the game, but I found some parts to be super difficult.

21. jawafett

Mar 13, 2003
    Still reading RC:Tripple Zero. It has cool Mando speak, plus it has a Mando glossery in the back.

22. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    I'm currently re-reading Matthew Stover's novelization of ROTS. It's a good re-read so far. I was tired of waiting for my hold on the Library's copy of Dark Force Rising, so picked one up from Powell's the other night. After I finish reading ROTS, I'll be diving into that one.

-Kyle

23. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Who here has "The Complete Locations of Star Wars" book? I got this book for Christmas and its one of the best Star Wars graphics books I've seen to date. I highly recommend it. About 2/3 of the book is devoted to the newer films, and the last 1/3 is devoted for the original trilogy, which is think is a bit unfair. But there is still more OT location drawings than has been previously been out there.

24. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Bring it to our next meeting. It's about time for me to start planning the next mural in T'Igor's room and I thought that maybe each wall could be a different SW planets' landscape.

-Kyle

25. Ayn

Ayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006

How does it compare to The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons (by Daniel Wallace)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.