main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's Palpatine's Origin Story?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by adlion94, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathStarZero

DeathStarZero Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Man, that Supershadow-spawned story just made all the EU characters cry.

2. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Sorry, Basher, it is not a fair question. It is an incorrect question. The mod does not understand the application of "delusions of grandeur" nor is he following the rules of the site regarding spamming and baiting. He is welcome to learn more about both the correct usage of English phrases and the TOS as he sees fit. I will be more than willing to help him in any such future mistakes and/or slip-ups. I would do the same for you, as you seem like an a-peeling fellow.

But how about we get back on topic. You were going to post on topic, right?

Any other ideas for Chancellor Palpatine's origin? I bet he's quite a bit younger than he looks. Sidious is probably a bit older than he looks.

3. BasherTroll05

BasherTroll05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Emos-Edud posted on 3/13/05 9:45pm
    Sorry, Basher, it is not a fair question. It is an incorrect question. The mod does not understand the application of "delusions of grandeur" nor is he following the rules of the site regarding spamming and baiting. He is welcome to learn more about both the correct usage of English phrases and the TOS as he sees fit. I will be more than willing to help him in any such future mistakes and/or slip-ups. I would do the same for you, as you seem like an a-peeling fellow.

But how about we get back on topic. You were going to post on topic, right?

Any other ideas for Chancellor Palpatine's origin? I bet he's quite a bit younger than he looks. Sidious is probably a bit older than he looks.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Emos, do us all a favor and explain Chancellor Palpatine poping out a red lightsaber and attacking four Jedi Masters if he's not Darth Sidious.

Then you can explain LOE, page 333 where Chancellor Palpatine uses a Jedi Mind trick on General Grievous.

Then you can explain Hasbro/LFL releasing bio information that says Chancellor Palpatine is Darth Sidious.

Ignoring all this evidence makes you look like a tool.

4. Invictus_Sol

Invictus_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2003
    The mod does not understand the application of "delusions of grandeur"...

Actually, I think it works. He's probably referring to your rather arrogant refusal to acknowledge all of the evidence placed before you and admit that Chancellor Palpatine is simultaneously Darth Sidious. At this late stage of the game, I would definitely conclude that anyone seriously still clinging to this theory is both deluded and supremely arrogant, so IMO, the shoe fits.

5. BasherTroll05

BasherTroll05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Invictus_Sol posted on 3/14/05 11:17pm
    [i]The mod does not understand the application of "delusions of grandeur"...[/i]

Actually, I think it works. He's probably referring to your rather arrogant refusal to acknowledge all of the evidence placed before you and admit that Chancellor Palpatine is simultaneously Darth Sidious. At this late stage of the game, I would definitely conclude that anyone seriously still clinging to this theory is both deluded and supremely arrogant, so IMO, the shoe fits.
    [hr][/blockquote]

I agree with this definition as well.

6. caligulathegod

caligulathegod Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2003
    If there are any doubts about Supershadow, read this from his website. A Q&A with "George Lucas"
    Fan Question: Dear Mr. Lucas, why have you allowed SS to reveal basically the entire plots for your sequel movies?

George Lucas: I use this web site to test my ideas the way the U.S. Military uses Area 51 to test advanced aircraft. I wanted to see how the plot line to Episodes 7 to 9 would resonate with the fans. It has been a resounding reception. The fans love my vision for these movies.

Fan Question: Mr. Lucas, tell us about your relationship with SuperShadow.

George Lucas: Shadow is one of my most trusted friends. He is an integral part of keeping me connected to the fans. Revenge of the Sith would not be nearly as exciting without the fans? input. I can take fan ideas and mold them to my vision and then produce the best possible movie. We all owe much to the hard work and dedication of Shadow.

Fan Question: George, let me say I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977. I can't thank you enough for bring this great adventure to the screen. I wanted to say thanks for all you have done. The true Star Wars fan hold you in the highest level.

George Lucas: It amazes me how admired I am. I?m just a film maker.

Fan Question: Will you ever consider making THE NEW JEDI ORDER into movies?

George Lucas: No. If we do more movies in that time period, the plot will be ones written by me. Make sure you read my plot summaries for Episode 7 - 9.

Fan Question: I love you, I love you, I love you, with all my heart!

George Lucas: Thanks. I love the fans. All of you.

Fan Question: What can you tell me about the one we call SuperShadow?

George Lucas: Shadow is a great friend and he has done much to make the prequels as successful as they are. I will forever be indebted to Shadow for bringing me so close to the fans. Meeting him is one of the highlights of my life.

Fan Question: How many times do I have to pay for Revenge of the Sith to guarantee more films from you? The way it looks and sounds at this stage I?m thinking I can see it 2 timess a week as long as it is out? Is that enough?

George Lucas: I would like for each fan to see Revenge of the Sith about twenty to thirty times. Also make sure all your friends and family members come out to see the movie. I expect the best from the fans.

Fan Question: Hello Master of Star Wars. Master Quasar Shrak bows down at the sight of your genius. I was wondering (and probably the rest of the world) if it would tragically happen that you'd pass on (let?s hope that day never comes), is there anyone who knows your vision of Star Wars so that person can continue with making all the remaining episodes? Thank you for your time.

George Lucas: Shadow is the one who knows my vision best. He can take care of Star Wars if something were to happen to me.

How can anyone take anything by this guy seriously?

7. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Chancellor Palaptine is from Kamino or some other planet that shares its primary export.

The official site says that Palpatine is from Naboo, Emos.

8. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    It would be great to know more about Sidious.

9. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    all that is uncofirmed infomation. Plaguies was killed in his sleep.

10. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Sidous is the coolest character we know nothing about. I would to see an EU about his past.

11. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    Maybe it's best he remain a mystery.

12. Ramses85

Ramses85 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    I loved that story. Plagieus dies in a duel, and Palpy first name is not Cos were great in themselvies, but that he made a sith name by combining Baltimore and a Harry Potter character was the best.

13. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    apparently there is one comic from the artists of the SW movies with a chapter called 'sithisis' <sp?>. its EU, but without even reading it, it really explains RotJ well for me and how the emperor did not expect luke to arrive yet. i think palpatines origin is supposed to remain a mystery, he is the most evil of anyone in SW and he cant be redeemed it seems. i want more info about sidious too, i think hes about 1000 years old.

14. leia1964

leia1964 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I read an article on the OS (in Hyperspace I believe) where someone (associated with GL) was delving into the "mystery" of the Plageuis/Sidious story a little bit and the comment he made about Sidious' origins is that GL was being very "guarded" about the subject. I'd like to hope there's a very good reason for that!;)

IMO, if there ever is another film, it will be about Darth Plageuis and Darth Sidious; and how Sidious apparently chose to cloak his Sith life in secrecy whilst living his life as Palpatine on Naboo. I think this is the next great Star Wars story. I just keep my fingers crossed that GL thinks the same way.

15. Scorch62Delta

Scorch62Delta Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2005
    Since Lucas doesn't want to make any more Star Wars films, i would actually like to see him work with a novelist to make a book around the Plageius/Sidious story and such. So the story would actually be straight from Lucas mouth, but with a novelist writing it all down and such.

Or since Supershadow "masterminded" and wrote and edited and stared in ROTS, lets get him to write the book since he knows Lucas so well! [face_liarliar] Man is that guy a genius! :oops: Extreme Sarcasm inc.

16. Vaeron

Vaeron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Cuz Hannibal was such a great follow up to Silence of the Lambs... heh

I think it's best to just let mysterious villains stay mysterious.

I think more info would just ruin it. I think Palpatine is a fake name, and Sidious isn't even from Naboo, and he's been alive for a long long time progressing his plot one step at a time. I believe he enjoys a functional immortality thanks to Plaguis' techniques, so his plans roll out over a period of years or centuries as he slowly but surely sets up the destruction of the Jedi. I think he can't die unless Chosen One does the job personally, as he can use the Force to manipulate life itself.

Canon? No. Substantiated by the movies? No, beyond theory and supposition. But it's what I like to think of the character. Too much information about him would ruin the fun. For example, did we really (really) need to know what Anakin was up to when he was 9? Origin stories sometimes have a way of disappointing.

17. Iter

Iter Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2005
    I don't know if there should be a revelation of Palpatine's past, or if there even can be... Palpatine's wickedness is more part of myth than reality; he is the evil vanquished by the hero, he's the symbol of evil. Could such a character exist in real life? I do not even think Hitler would stand up to the test. Palpatine/Sidious betrays no emotions to the audience, so it's very difficult to find any resemblance of humanity in his character, and at the end of the Star Wars Saga--a saga about redemption--he is unredeemable, in fact, his destruction is part of another's redemption--again being a symbol of evil itself. I feel like one would be hard-pressed to invent the crucible that is Palpatine's past. Any attempt to do so would make the character more human and generate sympathy, detracting from that image of him being the personification of the evil with which we all must wrestle.

18. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Indeed, Plagueis was killed in his sleep, according to Palpatine's explaination to Anakin in the Opera House scene. Palps' sly smile after describing Plagueis' demise leads us to surmise that HE killed him, but we never receive confirmation 'in the movie.' The only other tidbit we get is after Mace is terminated, and Anakin is about to undergo his Sith initiation, when Palps tells him:

PALPATINE: To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.

Recall in the Operal House that Palps and Anakin have the following exchange:

PALPATINE: (continuing) Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "the wise"?

ANAKIN: No.

PALPATINE: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life ... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.

ANAKIN: He could actually save people from death?

PALPATINE: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

ANAKIN: What happened to him?

PALPATINE: He became so powerful . . . the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. (smiles) Plagueis never saw it coming. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.

So we have conflicting information as to whether Palps is Plagueis' apprentice -- if he is, he is (no surprise) lying to Anakin.

19. Darth_Sadis

Darth_Sadis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    THAT SUPERSHADOW STUFF MADE ME CRY! Darth Bane's apprentice was a kid who was a Dark LADY of the Sith (can't remember the whole story).
    There's an interesting piece of fanfic on www.thesithorder.com called 'I, Palpatine' that describes his history ALOT better than anything I've read. The author is seeking to get it published.

20. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    I sincerely cannot believe Palpatine is over 100,000,000 years old. I think he's just as old as Ian McDiarmid is right now. It just seems more plausible.

-S-

21. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    A very powerful Dark-Lord, but no where near the most powerful?

Crinius Tossle Palpatine was born Tossle ?Tosh? Dashid on the sixth moon of Mendar, a system far beyond the reach of the known Republic. At the time his abilities were not tested nor detected as Jedi were outlawed in the system. His parents forbade him from using the Force. At the very young age of five, Tosh?s parents were killed in a deadly speeder crash and Tosh was taken to a local Mendi orphanage.
    There, he spent several years working for the orphanage director and secret Mendi Warlord, Ghan Trardid, a disgusting alien with two heads, although one of the heads had been dead for nearly a decade. Local legend has it that it was chocked by a rogue Jedi-Knight long ago before Trardid got the upper hand and killed her.
    Trardid used Tosh, along with three other Force-Assisted boys, as his personal assassins. Tosh, along with his brethren were trained in the deadly Mendi swordsmen arts.
    Ghan Trardid began to become weary of his four powerful assassins and devised a plan to destroy them. He chose Tosh to lure his fellow assassins to a local warehouse, there he would have to kill them in order to prove his loyalty. Tosh gladly accepted the job as he grew tired of three friends and their modest, pedestrian Force-Powers.
    The battle was a fierce one as it was three against one, but Tosh came out the victor just in time to hear local security coming to arrest him. He leapt to the roof of the building and listened closely as a security droid leaked that War-Lord Ghan Trardid had called and reported four Jedi battling there. He?d been set up by a man he was forced to trust!
    On his own, Tosh had constructed a lightsaber from schematics he found after destroying a local security installation. He spent most of his young adult life working as a mercenary to local crime bosses and even managed to find jobs out of the known system. One of those particular cases was an assassination of a representative in the Coruscant system. The representative had a gambling debt and was planning on fleeing to hide on the city-planet. Tosh became immediately intrigued by the Republic and vowed to himself, that he would one day rule it.
    Upon returning home, Tosh decided to kill Ghan Trardid, little did he know, he was about to beaten to it by a mysterious visitor. Tosh quickly dispatched Trardid, cutting off his live head and turned his attack on the visitor, to Tosh?s surprise had ignited a lightsaber as well. ?Jedi!? Tosh hissed as his nemesis smiled with delight. ?So much anger, so much hatred, but so little direction!? His enemy laughed. The foe was unlike any Tosh had faced in the past! After having his lightsaber pushed out of his hand, the mysterious Jedi threw Tosh to the ground and held his shimmering red blade to the boy?s neck. The Jedi spared his life and forced Tosh to become his personal assistant/apprentice. Tosh didn?t resist. He?d grown a profound respect for the man.
    The mysterious Jedi turned out to be Darth Plageous, a remnant of the tyrannical Sith rule of the galaxy of centuries ago. After the Republic?s Jedi-Knights destroyed all but one Sith, a dark apprentice escaped and carried on the legacy and teachings of the Dark-Side of the Force.
    Tosh was trained in the ways of the Sith by his master Darth Plageous, who also doubled as advisor Fen Pularis to King Joff of Alderaan?s sister planet, Naboo.
    His master granted ?Tosh? the name Darth Sidious, due to his treacherous nature.
    Darth Plageous was the most powerful force wielder of his time and as such was a great teacher, but due to the outlawed Sith religion, he and his apprentice were forced to hide their Sith abilities. Darth Sidious was ordered to kill Crinius Palpatine, an orphan much like Tosh, in order to take his identity as that of an ordinary Naboo citizen.
    Darth Sidious became one of Plageous?s brightest pupils. Hidden behind the mask of ?Tosh? obedient assistant to King Joff?s advisor Pularis, he ran several missions for his master and had survived where his predecessors have failed.
    Darth Plag

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Is that Supershadow crap? Sounds like it.

Anyway, it all depends on if Lucas wants Lucasbooks to delve into it. I think we should get a little bit of information. And yes, Plaugeis is Palpatine's Master. Confirmed in the novelization, the Visual Directory, the upcoming Essential Chronology and when the revised Essential Characters comes out.

23. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    HEY! That's MINE! And I have no IDEA who Supershadow is! ;)

24. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    im assuming everyones read the palpatine EU on the OS, but im refering anyone who hasnt,
    palpatine. its just that some people act like they havent read it, its *spoiler* if youre going to read the novels.

25. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Why does everyone assume that Palps was telling the truth about Plageuis??? There is nothing to confirm that he was Palps' master, that Palps killed him or that he even existed.

but we do know that Palps lies about everything to everybody. So the odds of it being true are not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.