main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's Palpatine's Origin Story?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by adlion94, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    well, i assume that Palps was telling the truth about Plageuis, about confirming that he was Palps' master, that Palps killed him, or that he even existed because of the EU OS for starters. i agree, though, that it doesnt hav to be true. i guess i believe it because i like it.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Some things are best left unexplained...

Part of the reason Palpatine is scary is that he came out of nowhere

3. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    It's ALL been confirmed Green_Destiny_Sword, haven't you been reading from the mods?

4. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    There is no back story. If you take the canon road that is. I think some of the background will be discussed by Lucas in the books and I am sure we will get some info out of him in time. But as for official stories...there will never be to many.

God, I hope not.

I don't think GL gives a living **** about the character. To Lucas, Palpatine is just a cardboard cutout, put there to cause trouble for the heroes and make the story go. As such, GL really wouldn't put much into the story, which would be a tragedy, because there are wonderful, wonderful things you can do with Palpatine.

The character has so much potential. If they put out a substandard novel whipped up by a Big Name Who Can Sell Books, just to sell books, it'd be a crying, crying shame.

I hope they never authorize a book.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Plaugeis is real. And Palpatine's Master. Confirmed by Lucas in his first draft of ROTS and in the novelization, which he approved personally as he line edited the thing. What he could do, is a whole different matter.

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine; June 2005.

6. Lori_of_Cincinnati

Lori_of_Cincinnati Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2005
    Well, good for you . . . such would be good for dinner.

Anyway, after a quick consult with one of my many SWI back issues, #65, on page 34 appears a couple of paragaphs:

Naboo: Palpatine's Retreat
    "The verdant paradise of Naboo is perhaps the most heavily guarded non-Core world in the galaxy. It hosts the private retreat of its most famous native son, the Emperor Palpatine. Here Palpatine comes when the task of guiding the galaxy through constant turmoil becomes too much..."

That makes him and Padme practically neighbors.

We also know he likes going to the opera. Perhaps he should have used the occasion in ROTS to impart a little culture to his new apprentice.

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    There's no telling where Palpatine came from. We know that he's a citizen of Naboo, embraced the dark side somewhere along the way, and had a sucessful political career. We know that from the details inside his office, he likes art, and he likes to attend operas.

8. Catherinerofa

Catherinerofa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2005
    We have been discussing Palpatine's origins off and on since Sunday on the Ian McDiarmid Yahoo Group. See link below.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.