main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's So Great About ESB?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Qui_Gon_Jinn, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    like how about dagabough? that wasnt outdoors. THe medical frigate (however u spell it) the medical room wit bacta tank, control room, the ceiling work on the star destroyers is amazing.

Well, I wasn't naming every set in the series that I thought was great, but still, Dagobah is awesome. That was quite an impressive feat as far as sets go.
    The medical room, control room, and the recovery center are all pretty standard fair I'd say. Nothing to write home about. Good, but not 'wow'. Certainly not nearly enough to just hand ESB another 'best in' award. The ceiling work on the Star Destroyer was a matte painting, but it looks ok I guess. The ceiling isn't the first thing that pops to mind.

Amazing sets (with finished SFX, so I guess I should say locales) to me include:

Otoh Gunga
    Naboo Palace
    Mos Espa Streets
    Pod Racer Stadium
    Senate
    Theed Generator Room
    Outlander Club
    Lakeside Retreat
    Cloning Facility
    Arena
    General's Quarters
    Veranda
    (I leave out Mustafar because instead of one really good set, it was a collection of good sets that made up one awesome envorinment)
    Millenium Falcon
    Death Star Cell Block
    Throne Room
    Star Destroyer Bridge
    Dagobah
    Carbon Freezing Chamber
    That thingamajig where Vader and Luke finished their duel.
    Jabba's Palace
    Sail Barge
    Throne Room
    Ewok Village

Hmm... seems I like TPM's sets the best. I never realized that. Then would be a three way tie between AotC/ESB/RotJ. Then ANH. Then RotS. That's fairly surprising to me...

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well the reasons I like it so much ...

1.''No,Luke. I am your father!'' No need to explain
    2.Yoda's first OT appearance
    3.Luke has matured slightly and its the first time we see him as a powerful Jedi in the making
    4.'That boy is our only hope' ''No,there is another Skywalker.''
    5. Lando Callrissian's first OT appearance
    6. It's darker than any of the other OT movies
    7.The first real intense lightsaber duel.
    8.The cave vision with Vader and Luke.
    9. Luke gets his hand cut off,Parallel to Anakin getting his hand cut off.
    10. 'I love you' ''I know.''

A year back or so,I was having an OT marathon with a few of my buds. We all agreed ESB was the best and my friend Kyle's response was simple as to why it's his favorite.
    ''For Once,It ends with the Bad guys winning. The rebellion looks rather screwed over,and originally they questioned whether Han would survive or not. It kinda left you saying 'Man,Evil kicks a*s.''

I think I agree with him on that one.

3. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    What? With all my love for ESB, I cannot agree with you. I don't know who was in charge of continuity, for instance, but he/she surely slept through the whole filming!
    Or the time line, if there is even one...

But it has the greatest scenes and the greatest development of the characters.

4. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Reasons Why It's Not the Best
    -The Wampa
    -Leia Kisses Luke
    -Battle at the Beginning as Opposed to at the End
    -Hiding in the Astroid
    -Some Yoda Scenes Drag On
    -No Ending

What was wrong with the Wampa? After the SE change it's even better. It sets us up to know Luke needs to go to Degobah for training.

Big Deal. Elrond and Aragorn are distantly related but I don't hear anyone complaining about Aragorn and Arwen being married.

There were two battles. The Battle of Hoth which served duel purposes. And Luke and Vaders Duel. Very trivial complaint there.

It's one of the great iconic images from the Saga. What's the problem. Was it a problem for Obiwan to hide on an asteroid in AOTC?

Yoda is explaining the Force to Luke. All of those scenes especially the "luminous beings are we..." speech are the heart and soul of ESB.

It's a bridge between ANH and ROTJ. All 6 episodes are one story. The only episode that should have a true ending is ROTJ.

ESB is great on several accounts. It's the most story driven of all 6 movies. It's the most emotional of all 6, ROTS is the only one that comes close. The "I am your Father!" line is probably the most important and well known of the SAGA, and had the most impact on moviegoers. ESB is a solid film. We get to see how cool Han Solo is and the love story between him and Leia actually works. There's good humor. Memorable lines. Great characters especially Yoda and Boba Fett. Best of all we get to see just how bad Darth Vader can be. The duel is awesome, still my favorite next to DOTF. The Imperial March theme is still used today in college football. That's what is great about ESB.

5. loebs

loebs Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005

throne room! yes! def! when i mean set, i mean actually everything is really hand made and lil do dads everywhere, and not paintings or blue screen thats why i dont mention clone room etc, though that is pretty impressive though i wished they used more darker colors in that set.

6. prefontaine

prefontaine Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    "High grosses not make movies great!"

The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of the saga for the following reasons:

1. Luke is constantly getting his butt whupped. It takes a great leap of faith to believe that this farm boy is somehow the galaxy's last, best hope at ending Imperial Tyranny.

2. "Imperial Walkers on the south ridge." -Enough said.

3. Darth Vader is at his best and baddest. Completely ruthless. His dialogue is dead on, and he takes crap from no one (except the Emperor).

4. The Vader/Skywalker duel is the best of the saga, including the flash of the PT.

5. The Millenium Falcon eluding the Star Destroyers and TIE fighters during its escape from hoth. When it takes that dive and brings the three Star Destoyers on a collision course while it spins away with the TIE fighters following it is one of the best "ship scenes" in the films.

6. Ben Kenobi returning as a spirit.

7. The introduction of Yoda and the ways of the force.

8. "I am your father."

9. The betrayal at Bespin.

10. The unresolved ending.

I could go on and on, but you get the point...

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    have I ever mentioned here that ESB is my favorite CT movie? It's the closest to perfect. I find only little flaws here and there (like the tracked Hyperspace cue)

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It's my second fave in the OT. ROTJ is my first and second of them all. I love Vader in ESB and the duel rocks. I don't necessarily like all of the battle of Hoth, although Vader walking in the base is awesome.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    :eek: I would have expected Dagobah... but HOTH!? wow

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Not all of Hoth, but the very beginning. Dagobah, yes. Until we get to the cave, yes. I like Luke in Yoda's hut, but I like ROTJ's Dagobah better.

11. ARC-Trooper19

ARC-Trooper19 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2005
    It was a great movie becasue it showed a jedi trianing is no walk in the park, and that it was the first battle with so called expierenced lightsaber skills,and the hoth battlw show that the AT-AT's rock, and that with out the wampa, luke would have never known to go see yoda

12. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Now that is incorrect. ESB was ripped apart by critics when it first was released. Chaeck the Original Score it got on Rotten Tomatoes.

13. stormtrooper1972

stormtrooper1972 Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2005
    To compare ESB with any of the 3 newer movies is like comparing a "double dipped hot fudge vanilla strawberry coated sundae with walnuts and cherries"

to a "peanut..."

I mean the thought process of those guys back then when everything was new and uncharted. And with a budget finally. What a freakin' masterpeice. That movie said to the world we have a story here now for sure and it is bad to the bone! It was a phonomonon! It was larger than life. It was changing the way we see movies. Marketing as we know it did change! You couldn't go a day without seeing a star wars product. I mean if I wanted to take a shower I had to first unscrew c-3po from r2-d2 just to get the shampoo. Because it was everywhere. WE FORGET OR MAYBE SOME WHERE NEVER THERE. No one Had ever seen an impact like that before. Except For ANH of course and Maybe I am mixing them abit. but standing next to "the phantom menace" give me a break. The new movies complete the circle because its fun and we all love it sure. But the heart of Star Wars is in 12&3. I never understand why people even want to compare.

I would feel really really good if alot of people would right in and say "ESB IS GOD" over and over and over again until you can't type anymore or your fingers burn and melt into the keyboard.

14. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    "The Empire Strikes Back is an absolutely flawless piece of filmmaking."

I almost agree with this. You can always find things wrong with it, but not as much as the other 5 films. I think it comes down to this: I would love to add things to TESB, but remove nothing. I feel the same way about ROTS, but I think what does it for TESB are the sets. Hoth, Dagobah, the Super Star Destroyer and Bespin are just awesome, and I never get tired of them (unlike Tatooine, Endor, Naboo and Coruscant).

Visually, nothing competes with the carbon freezing chamber, Vader's meditation chamber, the AT-AT's destroying the defensive guns of Echo Base, the lightsaber duel on the weather vane, the bounty hunter lineup, Slave 1's pursuit, the Wampa cave, Palpatine's hologram transmission, Han's assault on Vader and subsequent torture, and the goosebump-giving hyperspace escape from Vader and Piett at the end. Best movie ever.

15. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    1) Best Storyline
    2) Has the most useful/effective character devolopment out of the entire series.
    3) Also includes some of the most rarest planets and places in the Saga, places like Hoth, & Bespin
    4) Best Score of the Classic Trilogy
    5) Has the most authoritive Darth Vader out of any of the films, even ROTS.
    6) The Acting in this film is most rememberable next to its predacessor A New Hope.
    7) The lightsaber battle was the best and longest of the Classics and most realistic/fun of the 3.
    8) The Tenson never breaks like some have said before, TESB keeps things going at the best pace.
    9) The Balance of all these also counts, this film is perfectly balanced with almost everything.
    10) The Best Revelation Ever.

16. ARC-Trooper19

ARC-Trooper19 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2005
    The Empire Strikes Back has to be the best movie of all time in my book

17. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I think the real Question is. Is there any thing wrong with TESB.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

18. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    Hopefully, GL will leave it alone now.

Some changes improved it. Others did not.

The lightsabers could use some work but I don't need a brand new Boba Fett/Stormtrooper musical number for some awkward comic relief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.