main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's so great about that 70 minute TPM review on YouTube?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mond, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    This thing has received a TON of acclaim in the past few weeks, so I decided to check it out for myself. There are a lot of things about TPM that I really dislike, so I was looking forward to watching the review when I had the time. I have to say I was pretty disappointed after all that hype (I guess to an extent similar to the disappoint many felt for TPM itself). The guy's voice is hilarious, he has great delivery and comic timing, and I really like his dark humor (which is largely unrelated to the actual review), but the commentary itself was the same fanboy bitching as always. There was nothing new, even though people are actually saying things like "Finally someone had the balls to stand up to George Lucas!"

So why has it garnered so much praise? What am I missing? Enlighten me.

Strilo edit: There is WAY too much swearing in that to allow links.

Jangounchained1990 and tommy-lin like this.
  2. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    the gungas

actually it got really boring and almost obnoxious half way through

3. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    I haven't seen it, but if it's the way you say, I don't need to see it. I love The Phantom Menace and if anybody doesn't, that's okay. I'd rather hear people just simply say they didn't like it for it was instead of trying to make it seem like those who do enjoy it don't know good film.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Well said! I agree!=D=

For the record, I REFUSE to watch this!

I LOVE TPM!!!!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    This so-called review isn't great. Or funny.

It also contains, from the begining, strong profanity.

No doubt it's up for a Best Documentary oscar...[face_hypnotized]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    The only thing YouTube is good for is watching punk skateboarders get compound fractures or downloading old episodes of Thundercats. 95% of the people who make and watch videos at that place have the IQs of leftover meatloaf. And the other 5% are mentally retarded.

7. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    To those of you who have seen it: What do you think of his assertion that adventure movies should follow a set formula? I found that to be kind of, well, disturbing almost. I thought its avoiding of such conventions (e.g., a clear protagonist and antagonist, etc.) was one of the coolest and most interesting aspects of TPM. He's entitled to his opinion, but I found that part of his review to be depressing as hell.

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    The overall storyline of the Saga, as well as the individual films, is actually pretty generic, and found throughout literature. Just watch Hidden Fortress and you'll see what I mean.

That's not to say the SW films are boring, since there's a lot to be said about how the story is presented, but the storylines are not terribly imaginative overall. And yes, this goes for the sacred OT as well. ;)

9. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    I liked the Phantom Menace but I found the Red Letter Media review to be hilarious. He makes good points and I can see -- if not always agree - with his point of view. Also, the guy is just a comic genius. He's just plain funny.

An Attack of the Clones review is pending.

10. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010

Honestly, as much as I love Star Wars and its imaginative universe, it really can be seen as a descendant of the types of serial fiction seen in the old "Pulp Magazines," not that that is an insult, as many writers and directors such as Val Lewton and HP Lovecraft wrote "pulp" fiction.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The 70 Minute review for TPM is meant to mock the complaints of Star Wars fans.

All of them are delivered in such a ridiculous way that it's amazing to me that anyone would admit to "agreeing" with his points.

In the first clip, you will notice the bit where he talks about the "pro tag un ust" usually getting the girl in the end. One of the clips that goes along with that is Charlie hugging Willy Wonka.

That's just one clue to the disdain the author of this video has with the complaints he's presenting.

Never mind the self portrayal of a guy who keeps women tied up in his basement.

Tuskinraiderfromhell, you should watch this, it's hilarious, you'll enjoy it because it mocks all the complaints.

12. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Are you sure about that? I read an interview with him somewhere and he seemed sincere to me. I know his points play like a satire of fanboy whining (especially combined with all the attempts at comedy sprinkled throughout) because the whining is so far out, but he's serious.

13. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004

If you recommend this Go-Mer, contemplate it, I will! ;)

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Seriously Mond, watch it again and keep what I said in mind while you do.

I think part of the point to doing this was to see how many people would jump on the bandwagon with the reviewer.

Can you link me to the interview?

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The fact that the guy delivers his criticisms with humor means he's making fun of his points?:confused:

Go-Mer, do you also think Jon Stewart is mocking liberals whenever he criticizes Republicans?
    Was George Carlin mocking atheists every time he delivered a scathing takedown of religion?

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Does Jon Stewart or George Carlin characterize themselves as an introverted basement dweller who keeps women tied up in the corner while making their points?

17. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah it has to be said, this the video is tongue-in-cheek. He makes fun of the movie only the way an obsessive fan could. He probably really was disappointed with TPM, but he nitpicks so hard it becomes self-parody. Its way too long, frankly stupid at times, but its for the fans. The first half is hilarious.

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Did he tear apart that scene where Princess Leia takes time from the super important mission to play Ewok princess dress up? Stupid prequels. :oops:

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
  20. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    There were many Republicans who took his satire so seriously that they thought his show was a right-wing one, unaware that he was poking fun at the ludicrousness of certain aspects of their politics because they were so wrapped up in them to have any sense of perspective. Apparently this applies to certain prequel fans too...

Personally, I thought the review of TPM, while not having anything truely NEW, encapsulated all the elements of the film that were weak in an engaging and illuminating way, while utilizing documentary and film footage in a very constructive manner, and injecting an absurd sort of dark humor to keep things unpredictable.

Of course, you could submit Star Wars to some of the same nitpicky things as well, such as holes in plot. The differences is that the story and characters grab the viewer in such a way that you either don't notice or don't care, which to me is the bottom line for TPM's failing with a lot of people.

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Anyone else enjoying the irony of Go-mer putting down someone who mocks the complaints of others? ;)

22. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

=D= I approve of this message.

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I think you guys are taking it too personally.

The video's not an attack on people who like the film; it's an attack on the people who made the film. And even "attack" is too strong a word for such a lighthearted mockery.

Think of it like this: If I made a video about all the ways Obama is screwing up as president, the video is attacking Obama, not his supporters. Yes, saying "Obama is screwing up" does make something of a negative comment about those who support said screwups, but they're not the primary target.

24. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Sorry gomer. He's just a guy goofing on Phantom Menace. (and Star Trek as well)

http://www.heebmagazine.com/blog/view/2491

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Please, do not apologize to me. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.