main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's so likeable about Traitor Jacen?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Just curious.

2. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    hehe read Traitor then you'll find out :p

3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    He doesn't act like a selfish ignorant child who thinks he knows better than everyone. :)

That and he's tortured horribly. [face_mischief]

He's still incredibly dense though, not even MWS can cure him of that. :p

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    he decisive in traitor not just going around talking about philosophy, he chose and acted not just insisting about having to go everywhere and spouting about whats right and wrong,he was actauly enjoyable to read in it versus most other book where he just talks most of the time with sparatic fighting.

besides kyp hes the character with the most wasted potential.

5. BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN

BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2002
    In "Traitor", Jacen's character was, as Vergre said in DW, stripped down to his bare essentials, took away everything he had ever been taught, told, or otherwise given, and what emerged from all that was a pure, unadulterated hero.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    An interesting choice for a man who left the Ganner to die

;-)

I read Traitor and while not liking some parts, did like much of it.

I do think its funny that Jacen immediately joins the military afterwards, remains a Jedi Knight, and even questions Zonoma joining the war effort post it

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Traitor Jacen was one of the few NJO characters who actually grew and evolved from where he originally stood, thanks to the horrific ordeal he faced and the counsel of Vegere.

After finishing the book, I felt that Jacen was clearly not the peaceful philosopher of old anymore, but instead a Jedi Knight who was able to find an inner peace, as well as recognize that the Vong were evil, and his duty as a Jedi was to take up his lightsaber and fight back. He seemed to realize that in times of war, the preservation of an enemy life as dark as the Vong can only be taken so far.

The Traitor Jacen knew that the galaxy still had to be ridded of weeds, and I took this as a foreshadowing that his new mindset would be here to stay, but unfortunately the Jacen of DW and FH was back to square one. Suddenly, the man who returned from his trials stronger both in the mind and body was back to being the tree-huggin' pacifict more worried about smoochin' Danni Quee than facing the darkness he experienced first hand.

8. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Traitor Jacen creeped the bejeebies out of me.

9. DarkJedi119

DarkJedi119 Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2003
    Jacen in Traitor isnt a little baby whose is scared to fight for what is right whah whah im scared of the dark side what a coward

10. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I've always liked Jacen, in fact he is my favorite character in the NJO so far. Well, besides Han and Wedge.

I can't really comment on why I like him so much in Traitor when compared to other books, since I like him in those books as well.

11. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    He doesn't have his head up his ass and isn't afraid to fight when it's necessary. Usually he just sits around spouting pseudo-philosophical nonsense and expects highly trained and experienced government and military officials to listen to some punk kid about things he knows nothing about

12. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    What's so likeable about Traitor Jacen?

Amphistaph-wielding-Yuuzhan-Vong-sensing-uber-Jedi.

Other than that?

~ DS5

13. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    He's not a self absorbed, wussy pacifist (that's not to imply that all pacifists are wusses).

But Reunion ruined all that. :mad:

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But Reunion ruined all that.

No, it didn't.

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think it did either.

Even during Traitor Jacen never felt like the Vong should be exterminated. Defeated yes, but not wiped out entirely. The addition of Zonama Sekot has a possibility of wiping out the Vong entirely (I presume), and that's not a decesion to be made lightly.

Oh, and you never know TFP/TUF could have a more active Jacen role. I don't think Williams/Dix had much of a oppertunity to look over Traitor's outline when they were writing their novels. Keyes and Luceno had/have some more time to get them better lined up.

16. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    He was introspective without being whiny. I'd found him utterly useless and irritating previously, since I haven't yet read FH, I can't tell if this is permanant yet.

17. Kyp_Jaina_Jag

Kyp_Jaina_Jag Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2002
    No idea what is so likeable about him. I like him afterwards, in Destiny's Way. (Not in the Force Heretic Trilogy.) During the book I thought he was still annoying, but then again, I'm one of the few who hated 'Traitor'.

But rather than complaining for once, he got tortured. [face_devil]

18. ACloneWhoIsDifferent

ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2003
    spoiler

hes hawt

19. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    for one book, jacen wasnt some whiny 'thinks he can solve the problems of the universe so you better listen to me because i have all the answers' punk. but oh well, that was short lived.

20. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    He stops wondering who he is and begins to accept that all he can do is be who he is right now, whether we like the way he is or not. Plus, he learns to stand by his decisions, whether some people agree with his decisions or not is irrelevant.

21. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    It was a very personal story. It was all about Jacen Solo who; he was, is, and was becoming. That kind of story gets into the very core of characters so you understand him, how he's feeling, where he's coming from. It's hard to dislike a character in that much exposure even if he's still a whining and self-righteous punk kid.

oh and Jacen's still growing, becoming so lay off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.