Whats the 411 on this new star wars miniatures game?

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Hollywood_Ghost, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollywood_Ghost Jedi Knight

star 1
    I cant find any information about it except this:
    http://www.theforce.net/rpg/index.shtml#24065
    and this is just a commercial for it.
    I took note of the phrase "Instructions for intergrating into the star wars rpg" which to me imho means that the game is in and of itself a stand alone game of some sort, yes? no?

Is it anything like hero clicks or that awful LOTR rip off "battle Hex". I went pretty nuts collecting and playing hero clicks and always thought it would be neat-o if there was star wars hero clix since the mechanics lend themself to everything from campaign and scenario to basic attrition, also the idea of wolverine taking on a bunch of storm troopers or boba fett fighting the punisher is pretty exciting.

ANyway i'd appreciate any input what so ever into this topic, and if there is more information already on the web on in the star wars insider i'd appreciate a heads up because i cant find anything on my own as of yet.
  2. crashmurdoch Jedi Knight

The Star Wars Miniature game is going to be similar to the Dungeons and Dragons Miniature game that is already out, or at least that's how they've been talking about it over at Wizards of the Coast. Essentially the figures are stand alone with no game markers on them, In the D&D set each figure has it's own card with the stats for the miniature game on one side and the RPG stats on the other. I'm not sure if they will follow this same formula with the new game but it's probably going to be really similar.
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
  4. Yoda_Jammies Shelf of Shame - 2nd Place

Game Winner
    star 4
    Well the old WEG minis were "true" 25mm, so if these new ones are 32mm, then they are not compaptable at all. Right? I dont't know, that is why I am asking. I hope the new WOTC minis are the same scale, as I own hundreds of the old WEG miniatures. THanks.

Jammies
  5. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I've seen the D&D figures, they're the same size as action fleet, and action fleet figures who aren't based are around 29-30mm (like Episode 1 Obi-Wan, who's 30mm). Including base, that's to scale. Same goes more or less for WEG.

E_S
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    From the Wizards boards, SW Mini designer WotC_Rob said at 06-07-04 10:35 PM:

Take a look at Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures if you want a reasonable approximation of the size of Star Wars Miniatures. The height will be similar, but Star Wars figures will generally be slender in comparison. This is due to Dungeons and Dragons use of heroic style sculpting, whereas Star Wars sculpts are true to the human form.

Thread here

Plus, on page 1 or 2 of that thread, a pic of the Bothan Spy.

E_S
  7. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
  8. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    have to say i'm a little disappointed by the miniature game. it's too much like hero cix. i was hoping for something along the lines of warhammer-esque type figures. one's you can pick out and collect and paint. they could do so much more with this than with the hero clix style. they could have Imps, Rebs, Separatists, Republic, Yuuzhan Vong. Just think of the people you could come up with.

... just my thoughts...
  9. Reaper63 Force Ghost

star 4
    yes, the figures are a little conforming, but I was able to do some nice custom minis using the old WEst End Games minis. Repainting and mods can still make some nice figures. And having figures like the Hero Clicks to use for customs can help you expand the possibilities.
  10. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    Now why would WotC copy another company's work when they're busy trying to establish their own standard.

Yes, War-hammer type figures would have been nice, but it's not going to happen.

In my current game, we use lego figures. Not the most artistic, but they work.
  11. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    Warhammer style figures were essentially the same thing you found in WEG's Minis Battles, and it tanked.

There is nothing to stop them from doing Yuuzhan Vong later, either.

The first expansion is clearly marked all over that page as "REBEL STORM".

From the figures you see, it should be pretty clear this deals with the Rebellion period. Mara Jade is there, for example, as an Emperor's Hand.

The next set is also telling, it's called CLONE STRIKE and will cover Episodes I and II, with an Ep. III preview.

Personally, I think you guys are being a little too critical of this game. I have bought a pack of D&D minis, just to see how they go in D&D, and they're great. But for SW? Hell yeah! Not only are they pretty cool, there are varied sculpts for common stormtroopers. The only problem I see from this set is a lack of defined PC type characters, but you could offset that either with metal minis from either WEG or WOTC, depending on final size.

E_S
  12. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    i'm not being critical of the game, i just thought that the LOTR did an excellent job of creating the miniatures/warhammer esque game. I think Lucas and the like would do well into looking into something like that. (i'm sure they have...) I enjoyed heroclix for what it was worth. But got bored with the generic fold out board with the grids. I guess it's just my love for warhammer coming out... so i'm biased. ;)
  13. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    That's why Heroclix had map packs! ;)

This game promises to be excellent, in my opinion, as the D&D game is damn good fun too. It won't be your typical prep-for-ages game like Warhammer, but it was never supposed to be. :D

E_S
  14. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    i'm a strategy nerd. ;)
  15. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    There's plenty of strategy to be had in these games too, as well as fun. Given what is likely to be the abundance of stormtroopers and rebel troopers, you could easily stage a battle between the two sides.

Not to mention the appropriate scaling of the Action Fleet AT-ST, Snowspeeder or Rancor... :eek:

E_S

16. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    When are these supposed to hit the retail shelves?
  17. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    According to this site - STAR WARS MINIS - at the time I'm posting it's

13 days, 19 hours, and 51 minutes

Till release!

E_S
  18. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    anybody got em yet??

bought two booster's tonight... their starters were gone.

have to admit...i actually like them. i know i know..i was a strong opponent. but it looks like it could be possible for a yuuzhan vong character to maybe make it in to the mix by next year. [face_devil]
  19. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm picking some up later today.
  20. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I have 3 starters worth. Boosters are delayed here in Oz till the DVD comes out. They're almost to scale with the WotC metal minis! :D

E_S
  21. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    I got a starter and 5 boosters. I got three ultra-rares a Wampa, Stormtrooper on Dewbac, and Jabba the Hutt.
  22. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    that's a nice accumulation dude.

3 ultra rares.

one question, did the box with the wampa weigh a little more than the others?? just wondering... for future purchases that is. :cool: [face_devil]
  23. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I have been told the next two sets are Clone Wars this winter and Revenge of the Sith in April
  24. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, the Ultra Rares do weight more. In the order of 3 to 4 times more. Its partly due to the fact that the are significantly taller and more over bigger.
  25. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    but could you tell from the weight of the blister pack the ultra rare came in?

so revenge of the sith this april??

sounds good. i hope they do an EU set though. [face_devil]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.