Whats the 411 on this new star wars miniatures game?

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Hollywood_Ghost, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, it weights about 50% more than a normal one.
  2. KitFist0 Force Ghost

star 4
    I was a strong skeptic over this game until I saw it first hand. Wow I love it. It is a great game. I have only one Very Rare even thought I have bought 6 boosters. (1/3 boosters has a Very Rare as opposed to a rare.) The game is really well made but I would like so more abilities for Uniques.
  3. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    It does seem to be pretty well set up.
  4. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    have only two very rares: Emperor and Obi-Wan.
  5. wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I myself got a starter and three boosters and was generally disappointed in my pulls... got Obi, Scout on Speeder and 4-LOM... hoping my luck will be better in future pulls. Nevertheless, I love the figures and have already played a few small games with myself, but unfortunately I'll have to wait a week or so to play with my friends. Anyone have a vote on the best figure of the set? I like all of the bounty hunters, and the Leia figure looks pretty awesome... from the pictures alone I'm a little disappointed in the Emperor figure... but *shrugs* whatever.
  6. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    kinda like the emperor. by looks i'm going with the wampa as being the coolest piece so far.
  7. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    I've seen the pics for them and I like the Wampa that I have the best.
  8. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    I bought a case and a bit :D and my R's and VR's are:

Obi-Wan Kenobi x2, Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight x2, Chewbacca, Princess Leia (Senator), C3P0, R2-D2, Lando Calrissian, Mara Jade Emperor's Hand, Grand Moff Tarkin, Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike, IG-88 and Wampa.

I actually rate Mara Jade as cooler than the Wampa, though it's utterly amazing as others have noted.

For playability, can't beat Chewie or Jedi Luke. That's approx 50pts of Beat Stick goodness. :D

E_S
  9. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    i still haven't even played the game yet. have about 50 pieces but no one is playing. warzone here in charlotte hasn't set aside a day to play yet... so here i sit looking at my pieces. [face_plain]
  10. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I saw boxes for this in the bookstore, and I have a bunch of questions before I think about buying it. I've never played a game like this.

You get a starter pack, and it comes with the rules, correct?

Is it pretty complicated, or can you just whip out your pieces and battle in a few minutes.

I heard it was compatible with the RPG. How compatible? How does it work?

Thanks for any help.
  11. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    It's very simple, basically you roll a d20 and then check off things like:

1) Your attack: Most have, for example, a +4 to attack, so you roll a d20 and add 4.
    2) Cover: Adds +4 to their Defence
    3) Their defence; your attack role must exceed that.
    4) Damage: in multiples of 10, which is nice'n'easy.

If you want it for RPG, get a starter and a few boosters and buy some old WotC Metal minis for your PC's.

E_S
  12. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, its really simple to play.
  13. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    finally played the other day... pretty easy actually. enjoyed it. have to say kenobi is pretty tough. ;)
  14. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Can you convert your d20 characters to the Star Wars Mini system?

Look to me like, yes, its a scaled down version of d20
  15. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Yes and no; it's certainly not easy.

E_S
  16. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd agree with E_S. Its possible.
  17. wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I tried, its just a little difficult to judge the points in it. I also had to limit level conversion (above a certain level didn't seem possible to convert for me). I'm going to start comparing stats for main characters and see if that can give any insight, like in ratios of attack bonuses and hit points and such. *shrugs*

As to my collection, I've now got almost everything, just missing a few critical pieces that happen to be some of the hardest to get: Commando, Leia Captive, Vader Lord, Fett, Dengar and Lando.

I ended up getting a Jabba figure without a card. I then went to Wizards customer service, wonderful people by the way, and they got a card right on my way. Unfortunately, the people handling my mail folded the envelope I had it in, thus bending the card and ruining it for me. I had trouble even getting it out of the slot and it ripped a bit. Very sad indeed.

The wampa does indeed look awesome, although I'm fairly impressed with almost all of them. Palps looks a lot better now that I actually have him.
  18. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    any of you guys's local gaming stores setting aside a night to play the game? one here in charlotte says that there is not enough of a demand to get a group to play... just seeing how y'all were doing.
  19. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    There was a store near me about 8 years ago called "A Place to Play" where for $2 per person, you could join any game. (GMs got in free, and you could also buy some gaming stuff, cards, and comix, but supply&selection were limited). Mostly it was for Magic:The Gathering, but RPGs were welcome too. Unfortunately, the owner didn't manage it well, and they pretty much disappeared overnight. Still, it was kinda cool while it lasted.

Good Luck.
  20. MASTER-SITH Jedi Knight

star 2
    i have just order a start set i hope it is a good game but the only people i can play with is my borther as no one around me likes star wars and there is not a big miniatures scene around in south wales(uk) but they look cool and will make i fun thing to buy
  21. wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That is my big problem with the game right now is that no one else around here that I know of plays it. I ended up buying two packs today and got another General Veers, but I also got a Commando on Speeder Bike, so my set is closer to completion. Hopefully I'll get some of those pieces for Christmas, although thats quite far away and by that time some of my energy will be spent on Clone Strike... I liked this week's preview of Luminara though... makes me happy she'll be in there... I just hope Barris is in there as shes become a favorite of mine with the release of the two Medstar books.
  22. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I got a starter pack and then a booster pack a week later.

Really dissapointed in my booster pack, I got four duplicates.

As a d20 RPG gamer, the Min rules have no appeal to me. I can make my own scenarios as a GM with an infinite amount of variety than with these things.

Of course, I haven't actually *played* it. It will be interesting to see when I have the opportunity. I have my doubts though. According to the rules, make two 100 point squads. With the figures I have, I can't do it and make two balanced teams.

I bought these primarily to use in a new RPG campaign, as combat figures. But sinse it's in the Rise of the Empire era, the figures I have are kinda useless.

$15 for a booster pack, where I get mostly common figures, is just way too much. Individualy packaged characters priced according to rarity would be way better.

I would have rather seen a re-make of the older 25mm lead figurines, which were more generic.

On the plus side, the figures are exquisite and very sturdy. I would think about collecting them, but I have a feeling that this game is gonna bomb after the Clone Strike minis.
  23. MASTER-SITH Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just got my set to day no problems with the models bit of damge on the box but apart from that i can not falue them the miniuters look cool and i will enjoy collecting them (now just to find someone else to play with)
  24. jhc36 Force Ghost

star 4
    finding people to play...seems to be a recurring theme here. played again with my both my bros...pretty fun again. i played the empire this time. used the emperor...have to say that he's pretty weak at attacking. for some reason i think they've messed up his stats. not sure why he gets a +0 for attacking. makes it tough to use his lightning. but all in all... it's a pretty awesome game... albeit expensive. ;)
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    You're using him wrong.

Sit back and basically gain your force points each turn. Let your stormtroopers do the work - like Heavy Stormtroopers using the Imperial Officer commander ability - until the Emperor has 12 force points or so. Then go fry stuff. Two things to remember with Palpy - never let Chewie base him, because Chewie can just momentum him each turn, and he can't AOP.

E_S
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.