What's the appeal of coffee?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    What's the appeal of coffee? It seems to make people act crazy, and stains teeth.

I've never had it, just coffee milk and coffee ice cream, but why do so many people drink this and get addicted to it?
  2. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Cultural reasons. It contains a mild, lightly regulated stimulant. You can have the "barista" put sugar and milk and other crap in so as to dilute it and pretend you're not a gluttonous yuppie wannabe.
  3. tom Chosen One

star 6
  4. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    It tastes good, gets me going in the mornings (the mornings that I drink it, that is) & did I mention it tastes good?

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Dunno, she's a pretty nice gal.
  6. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    You know what else makes people act crazy and stains teeth?
  7. Autonomous Jedi Knight

star 1
    I personally like the taste, especially since I started French brewing my coffee earlier this year, and tried some different varieties - Guatemalan, Hawaiian, Brazilian, etc. Coffee has a nuanced flavor that varies in bitterness and acidity depending on where the beans came from and how they're brewed.

The caffeine content can be a plus, but I drink plenty of decaf in the afternoons and evenings so I can still sleep well at night.

Also, one of my favorite things in the world is chocolate covered espresso beans. Best of both worlds.
  8. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    If not for the caffeine/getting people awake in the morning/staying awake in the evening, I don't think it would have much appeal. The taste is outright awful, in all of it's multitudes of variety0 even as ice cream or chocolates. People just tolerate it because of the caffeine and the fact that they can cover it up somewhat with enough sugar, milk, cocoa, etc.
  10. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I love the smell and taste of coffee but I don't like/need the caffeine. However decaf doesn't taste as good. :(
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I forgot about the smell- yeah, coffee does smell fantastic even if it tastes like crap. That is a big appeal. Hell, the 3 times in my life where I figured I'd give coffee another chance was because the aroma was so great.
  12. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Coffee is delicious. It just needs to be made properly in order for it to be so.
  13. duende Force Ghost

star 5
    it's excellent. stop whining and just drink it.
  14. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It's tasty and the first sip in the morning is heavenly. mmmmmmm
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    No, a lot of people legitimately enjoy the taste. I occasionally put a little cream in, especially if I'm drinking a poorer quality or pre-ground coffee, but if I'm drinking a good coffee, I'll take it black. I sometimes add sugar to espresso to cut the bitterness a little bit, but never to drip coffee, and I really never put in cocoa or caramel or other flavorings unless I'm in the mood for something that bears no resemblance to coffee, which isn't often.
  16. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    This.

Beverage wise, however, tea is supreme.
  17. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 8
    Yes.

And I act crazy if I don't have it.

I am picky about my coffee though, can't drink the cheap Maxwell House stuff.
  18. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Coffee is an acquired taste which I do not have. I've tried to like it, I really have and I've tried coffee in many ways. I simply can't get over the nasty taste.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    I was going to act all offended at the idea that coffee isn't glorious but then it dawned on me: "American coffee". I'm so sorry, guys.

Group hug?
  20. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Beaten.
  21. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    [image=http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t209/KikiLauraIsabelle/31cedd16.jpg]

Coffee and tequila. Or as I like to call it, proof that God exists.
  22. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    I am the same way, its how it first tastes and smells that decides wether or not I put creme and sugar in it.

The best coffee I ever had was in Fiji. It was perfect, perfectly brewed and just plain perfect. I enjoyed it with nothing.

23. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Coz it's good?

Really, I simply can't start my day without a cup of joe. So what if it's a mildly (or perhaps in some cases, not so mildly) addictive stimulant? What would we drink instead? Tea?!? Pfft. :p
  24. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I really do like the smell, but I'm not a coffee addict.
  25. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    This. Love the smell but the times I've had it the taste has disappointed. I get my caffeine hits from Diet Coke and Mountain Dew.