main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the appeal of coffee?

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2011.

1. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I don't like coffee. I do drink tea though occasionally.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's like beer, an acquired taste that you acquire because you're not drinking it for the taste.

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    For me it's the taste, if it's good. Also, it's a zero calorie way to get some caffeine when I need it.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I stick with OJ (it's not caffeinated but fruit juice keeps me awake) or the occasional Mountain Dew, myself.

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes, you like the taste, now that you've acquired it.

But I agree there's a vast universe of difference in aroma and flavor between a good cup of espresso or well made cappuccino and a cup of Quickie Mart drip coffee.

True story: in college, I drank institutional-grade coffee that was filtered through a pile of dead cockroaches for many months until we found the dead cockroaches. After we cleaned out the dead cockroaches, the coffee still tasted the same.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i love the flavor of coffee. i agree somewhat about it being an acquired taste, but i enjoyed it the very first time i tried it with a little cream and sugar. i was drinking it black when i was 15. on the other hand i find mountain dew to be one of the most vile things i've ever tasted. people have different tastes. it's weird.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    If you're going to acquire a taste, it helps to acquire it young.

[image=http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/Jabbadabba2/marlborobaby.jpg]

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That is awesome!

9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Delicious alkaloids :D

I like the taste of coffee but at this point I'm very much addicted to caffeine. If I don't have a cup early in the morning I end up with a headache, and may punch anyone who gets between me and my fix.

10. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I've always thought that coffee smells absurdly delicious. So I was hugely dissapointed when I finally tried coffee and found out how bitter it is. I'm guessing it's just an acquired taste.

Scummy

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Put more sugar/cream in it.

12. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Just diluting it won't make me like it. :p

Scummy

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's just as easy to get addicted to bad coffee as good coffee, but you'll have more fun doing it if it's good coffee. First thing you do, stay away from Starbucks. Second thing, invest your money in a good espresso machine. And by invest, I mean spend. Third, stay away from those plastic capsule coffees. They are a sick joke. I recommend the Jura Ena 9. It automates everything. Fantastic coffee for the extremely lazy.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Starbuck's lattes are actually good, as long as you don't get their plain coffee.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Starbucks will never be able to deliver the bean quality that smaller cafes can use. There are about 7 places within 2 miles of my house that sell better lattes than I can get at Starbucks. But obviously my own cappuccinos are better than all of them.

The bean quality is 80% of the battle, water quality 15% and brewing style/expertise 5%.

16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh come on. There's plenty to appreciate in the taste of both coffee and beer, and just because its an acquired taste doesn't mean it needs to be acquired for some other reason. You can acquire a taste simply because you want to acquire it. Like people that only ever drink decaf.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I agree it's possible in theory, but it doesn't happen much in practice. I know people who switched to decaffeinated coffee after decades of being hooked to the hard stuff, for health reasons. I know people who drink N/A beer because they're recovering alcoholics.

18. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    I agree with it having to do with the quality of the coffee--I just went to Costa Rica for six weeks and when I came back and had a cup of Folger's I spewed it and made a run for the peppermint-flavored creamer. :(

Unfortunately, many years of college has left me a caffeine addict and I would rather drink the nasty "coffee" we have here in America than get caffeine headaches.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Coffee; the nectar of the gods, especially wih proper amounts of cream and sugar.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't understand the concept of an "acquired taste." I remember first hearing that term from my dad when I was a kid and asked why he drank beer if it tasted so awful. Turned out he was just drinking a crappy beer. I'm not interested in finding out which coffee tastes good because I hate consuming a ****load (in comparison to most sodas and teas) of caffeine.

21. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    i only drink it because it makes me look cool

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I sort of get the developed taste thing. I had tried coffee here and here and did no like it. But on one occasion in my life I needed a wake me up boost and went for coffee. LO AND BEHOLD there was chocolate creamer and I have been hooked ever since.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know about acquired taste. I do think it's possible, with coffee and beer, that people need to "acquire the taste" for the crap version whereas they would not need to do so for the real version.

I can't drink cheap coffee or beer, although at one time I did drink both. I switched to the good stuff and lost my "acquired taste" for the crap version, but good coffee and good beer are two of my favorite drinks.

I drink good coffee, love the taste of it, and if I put anything in it at all, I use a splash of milk. Never sugar, which ruins the taste for me.

24. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    I've been avoiding coffee lately precisely because I get headaches in the days after I drink it. For me, coffee is something that's good, if it meets my specific customized standards. :-B

Which is to say French Vanilla with sugar and milk added. :p

25. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I tend to agree, although I wonder if this is because I have a softspot for small coffee houses.

I also wonder how Starbucks can aquire enough beans for the bean-specific roasts they offer, given the
    volume of business they enjoy.