main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the best film u saw this year

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by darth_boy, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I procrastinated for a while, but I finally bought "Paul" on Blu-Ray. I'm not sure it's the best film I've seen this year, but I really like watching it. Some of the extra dialogue in the unrated version is hilarious.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Movies I watched on airplanes during my trip:

Sucker Punch: Honestly, I think this got panned because most people were like, "OMG WOMEN IN SKIMPY OUTFITS SEXIST WTFBBQ". If you can get past that this movie is decent and I actually thought the concept of it was interesting and neat. The action is typical Zack Snyder, which I guess could be another turnoff but I didn't mind it. Don't get me wrong. It's not amazing by any means but I enjoyed it enough that I think it's worth seeing.

Source Code: When I saw the trailer for this I thought it looked stupid, then all of a sudden I see 90% on RT when it's released so I had to check it out. It's definitely a good movie and much better than I thought it would be not that good.

The Departed: Solid movie but I couldn't help but laugh at pretty much everyone dying at the end.

Two For The Money: This is basically about what would happen if Michael Corleone got out of the mafia and started working in the sports betting industry. The guy calls himself Walter but I know he is actually Michael Corleone because A) He has a heart condition and B) He grabs Matthew McConaughey's face similar to the way he grabbed Fredo's face in Godfather Part II. Movie was okay.

Battle Los Angeles: Typical war movie except it's against aliens. Aliens that look stupid and are generally uninteresting.

3. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    You didn't watch Black Hawk Down?

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Just watched Bad Liutenant and it was freaking awesome.

6. Mortimer_Snerd

Mar 14, 2004
    Ok, it's by no means the best film I've seen this year, but I got a copy of "Rio" for my kids and watched it with them totally expecting a bunch of ghetto humor and low-brow tripe. I was surprised and delighted by the fact that this movie is not only genuinely hilarious, but thoughtful and musically insightful as well. I would totally recommend it to to anyone, not just those of you with kids. It really was good.

Not Pixar good, but good nonetheless.

7. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    J(ay) how the hell have you not seen the Departed? Scust

This was in my top 3 of last year, really overlooked film and it's shocking Nic Cage didn't get any acting nods for it.

Really slow week of films for me.

At home I saw;
    Rango
    Love and Other Impossible Pursuits (250th film at home)
    Wrecked
    Transsiberian
    Top Gun
    Blue Crush

I enjoyed all of them to an extent.

In the cinema I saw

The Skin I Live In (300th film of the year)
    Fright Night
    Final Destination 5

Fright Night was fun.
    FD5 was so much better than the awful fourth. The acting was lame at times, but it was still good popcorn stuff.
    The Skin I Live in is just brilliant, one of the best and most ****ed up films of the year.

8. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

The Lake House

9. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Another really slow week, I'm swamped at work and just had my first day off in 2 weeks.

At home I saw
    From the Ashes
    The Lost Bladesman

DONNIE YEN!!!!!

in the Cinema I saw;
    Jayne Eyre (55th film in the cinema this year)

Very good film, Fassbender pwns so bad.
    Probably watch Tinker.Tailor.Soldier.Spy, Friends with Benefits and maybe 30 Minutes or Less this week.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The best movie of this summer was Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Only X-men even began to offer any competition.

Also, can I just express my displeasure at all the misleading reviews around the JCC about Captain America? That was a terrible, generic, and thoroughly unenjoyable movie. I fell asleep twice in the single showing.

11. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Hah and Thor was any better? Both were meh, fan boy hype fial.
    Although you falling asleep means your opinion is invalid, at least have the decency to see something your criticise.

Finally a busy-ish week for me, but more so in the cinema. The only problem with seeing films in the cinema is that it takes up about the same time it would for me to see two films at home (when you take into account travel and trailers).

At home I saw:
    The Dreamers
    This is England
    Tell No One
    Submarine (260th at home)
    Catch and Release
    Glorious 39
    Brideshead Revisited
    Mesrine: Killer Instinct
    Mesrine: Public Enemy Number One

The Dreamers was a very interesting film, probably the most nudity I've ever seen on film.
    I watched This is England and Tell No One on the same day. Thank **** for that. Seriously, I've watched some total crap this year, but these 2 films really make it worth it. Both utterly brilliant but very different films. Although one similarity they have is the fact they keep you so tense through out. Everyone should watch these films.
    Submarine was one of the worst films I saw this year.
    The Mesrine films are good.

In the cinema I saw:
    Friends with Benefits
    Colombiana
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    30 Minutes or Less

Friends with Benefits was decent, although not as good as Easy-A.
    Colombiana script was terrible, but it was a decent night out I guess.
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy really shows how great the acting talent in England is at the moment. One of the most hyped British films of the year. To be honest I thought it was a little slow for my liking.
    30 Minutes or Less was funny.

12. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Fairly busy week.

Time Crimes
    14 Blades
    Little Big Soldier
    An Empress and the Warriors
    Death at a Funeral (2007) (270th film at home)
    Point Break
    Attack the Block
    13 Assassins
    Arthur
    Bodyguards and Assassins
    My Life as a Dog
    The Runaways

Time Crimes is a great film. Proper mental and at times terrifying.
    I've seen way too many Chinese films this week. Little Big Soldier is hilarious and yet another great Chinese film from Jackie Chan. He really has been making some great films in China recently, Shinjuku Incident is another you should see. Most of the other Chinese films were Donnie Yen ones but none really that great.
    The original Death at a Funeral was decent, I prefer the excellent cast in the American one though.
    Point Break this film is hilarious, Keanu is awful. The action is great.
    I re-watched two of my favourite films of the year, 13 Assassins and Attack the Block. 13 Assassins still stands out as one of the best I've seen this year.
    Arthur was surprisingly funny.
    The Runaways was average, although a very interesting subject matter.
    I didn't think My Life as a Dog was a great as people say.

In the cinema;
    Warrior (60th at the cinema)
    Drive

Drive was a good film. Stylistically brilliant, but not enough to warrant any further attention.
    Warrior is just such a brilliant film, I can't even begin to describe it. Great to see Kurt Angle. Tom Hardy is a star and deserves all the hype. So many great performances in this film. Maybe the best film I have seen this year.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Limitless is a roundly terrible film. It opens by pretending it's going to be a cautionary tale, or at least some sort of examination of the cost/benefit of drug usage. The main character takes a drug that apparently empowers him to swagger his way through montages of free-wheeling sexual trysts, dinner parties, and generically important scenery. To make the character sympathetic, he once assures us that this isn't merely a tale of self-aggrandizement, but that he is only doing this all as means to an end to make some difference in the world. What did he have in mind, you ask? I wouldn't know. Outside of one single sentence of his internal monologue, it literally never comes up in the movie again, even in the epilogue scene.

That's the essential problem with this films. It hints at things that could be dramatically or thematically compelling, and then drops them with all the mental capacity of someone in a drug-induced stupor. His girlfriend expresses serious moral qualms about what he's doing, and walks out on him. Later, without any explanation, she's back, and not only no longer cares, but never even hints at having had a problem with it prior. We learn of harrowing side effects, which could have been a major twist, and a serious pause for contemplation. Instead, though, we found out ten minutes year later that he was just taking the medicine wrong. Later still, we find out that even the feeble remnant of side effects can be easily designed away with an upgraded pill.

What we have is an infantile wish-fulfillment fantasy put on film. At every point, the movie refuses to acknowledge that their could ever be any negative--or even mildly uncomfortable--consequences of anything. As such, it asks the thoroughly uninteresting question: What would happen if something unambiguously positive happened? The answer, as it turns out is a bunch of stupid but flashy montages. Then, thankfully, we all move on with our lives.

14. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    At home this week I saw

Becoming Jane
    The Other Boleyn Girl
    Chopper (280th film at home)
    Age of Heroes
    The Ice Harvest
    Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon
    Fade to Black
    The Believer
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec
    Mad Detective
    Protege
    Incendies

Enjoyed the Ice Harvest and Fade to Black.
    Eric Bana is a terrible actor, but he was terrific in Chopper.
    Incendies was an excellent film, but had a dumb plot twist I saw coming a mile off.

At the cinema I only saw
    Jurassic Park, which was brilliant of course.

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The T.Rex still holds up beautifully.

16. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    At home I saw;

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (290th at home)
    Priest
    The Secret Life of Bees
    Shaolin
    Vengeance
    Last Night
    The Great Debaters
    Grosse Pointe Blank
    High Fidelity
    Water for Elephants
    The United States of Leland (300th at home)

I enjoyed most of these films to some extent. Nothing that stands out as outstanding or overly bad.
    I found myself relating to High Fidelity more that I would like to.

Didn't go cinema. Probably won't be able to much more this year unfortunately; my sister is going back to uni and my mate is busy with exams for most of the year now...they're the two people I watch films with mainly. Probably be able to catch a couple random ones with my older sister or over Christmas.

17. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Slowish week, 10 films

Fanboys
    From Paris with Love
    Race to Witch Mountain
    Push
    Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
    Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
    The Social Network
    Sucker Punch
    Assassination Games
    Swingers (310th film of the year at home)

I enjoyed Push because I love Hong Kong.
    Social Network...I initially liked this film a lot. I was getting ready on saturday to watch some crappy reality tv, when the channel I had left the tv on was playing the opening scene. I kept watching because the facemash scene was so great....but then the great scenes and great acting just kept coming. This is such a brilliantly written and acted film, almost every scene is just superb.

Sucks i have no one to go cinema with these days, missed at least 10 films I wanted to see agh.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Had you not seen Social Network already? You seem like you would have.

19. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    "I initially liked this film a lot" , I meant when I saw it in the cinema I liked it a lot, but didn't think it was brilliant like I do now.
    I'm not really into watching films more than once, unless I really love them, but even then only rarely. So the fact that I accidentally ended up watching it again puts it high up in my estimations.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh okay thought initially meant when you first started watching it.

21. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I really don't understand why people think the Social Network was so groundbreakingly great. It was a solid movie, but nothing more.

22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I rather enjoyed Captain America.

23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I really can't think of any movie that I saw this year that wins my "OMG THAT WAS THE BEST!" title. I saw lots of decent ones, sure, but nothing super spectacular so far.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It took what would otherwise be a niche market category (The docudrama) and did it up with a current topic that people find relevant and slick, modern production values. I'm expecting it to have a degree of influence on films coming out five years from now.

25. Mortimer_Snerd

Mar 14, 2004
    I haven't seen a whole lot of films this year, but I absolutely loved "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."