main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whats the best online game at the moment?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by malkieD2, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I've reposted here from the JCC as I might get better feedback in this forum !

I have a half decent PC (with a hald decent 3D card - its from work, so upgrades are not an option), and a solid 1.5Mbps cable internet connection.

I'd really like advice on whats the best game to be playing online at the moment (before I go wasting my cash).

I do play Quake3 online, but it gets very one dimensional after a while. I was thinking about 'EverQuest' as it gets good reviews - is it any good ? Will I ruin my social life if I start playing ?

What are other people's recommendations ?

Thanks for the feedback

malkie

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Yahoo Games Euchre :)

3. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I've found UT2K3 to be very enjoyable.

4. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    yeh, but UT2K3 is essentially the same as Quake3 et al. I'm looking to get my teeth in something big, and I think EverQuest might e the way to go.

malkie

5. starsage56

starsage56 Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2002
    with a connection that fast ut2k3, in no way,shape,form similar to quake3, is good online, diablo is old but still fun, so is d2. keep an eye out for final fantasy 11 for pc.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    with a connection that fast ut2k3, in no way,shape,form similar to quake3

sorry, I don't quite understand......can you explain further please :) My understand was that in Ureal Tournament you run around a map picking up weapons and shooting other people online.....which is more or less the same idea as Q3 (or have I missed something?)

ah yes, I forgot about Diablo - its supposed to be excellent too - I should perhaps think about that too :)

malkie

7. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Depends on how much time you want to invest.

Everquest at high levels demands a lot of time, especially if you join a guild and do a lot of "raids." Though you don't have to raid or even join a guild, your gaming life in EQ is much easier if you do. Though that may not sound too fun, you make a lot of good friendships and getting decent items from your hard work is satisfying.

Diablo II is like that, but it's a lot quicker and easier to satiate one's need for good stuff and getting levels. It still has a very big and very strong community, even now (it is not uncommon to find a couple hundred thousand people playing D2 online at any given time).

Star Wars Galaxies is coming out soon, but you probably knew that.

-Jomero

8. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    Counter-Strike is still the game with the most people playing.

but i Still like America's Army, but it needs more work

9. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Battlefield 1942

10. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    thankies for the feedback - I really appreciate it :)

a few people have suggested Battlefield 1942, so that might be an option.
    Everquest is still up there, even if I have to become a social reject to get anywhere.

I like simple stuff - remember Scorch on the PC (spelling ? its late and I've been drinking). It rocked - how about something simple like that online ?

In a similar way - we used to have a WORMS (playstation) league in my house at college - that lead to some serious fights and arguements. *Thats* the effect an online computer game should have on people :)

WORMS rocked by the way :) we had neat house rules - no crap weapons such as airstrike or homing missiles - only pure skill won the game :)

malkie

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    SCORCH!!! If that's the game I'm thinking of, you are my new best friend. :p That game kicked butt, it may be ancient but it's still good fun.

If you're looking for some good online games, EQ is good if you have no life and a decent income. SWG will be the same once it comes out, but at least then you're a SW nerd with no life instead of just a regular nerd with no life. ;)

If you're tired of first-person shooters, you might want to try Jedi Outcast for a slight change in style, but if you want something completely different then the sky's the limit. I've heard good things about Battlefield 1942, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure.

12. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    Battlefield 1942 is mucho fun.

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    BF 1942 is great. JO is cool if you are a SW fan.

14. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Soon: SW Galaxies, Final Fantasy XI, Sims Online(?)

BTW, FFXI is supposed to require very HIGH system specs.

15. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    All of my online gaming is dedicated to Battlefield 1942 now days. It is great fun. :D

FPS including planes, tanks, and boats. *drool*

It will also be greatly improved within two weeks when the 1.2 patch comes out. I can't wait!

16. AragornsGhost327

AragornsGhost327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2001
    Neverwinter Nights!

17. TheFallenOne

TheFallenOne Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2002
    I hate to spoil it for some of you but I guarantee we're not going to see Galaxies for some time. I wouldn't bank on it hitting the shelves before spring.

My picks that I play now...
    Jedi Outcast - though sadly the support for this game is dying and there are fewer and fewer servers each day and less and less players online at any given time. Sad because it's such a great game.

UT2K3 - This game is FLIPPING AWESOME. Granted it's still a shooter, but there's new "moves" you can use like adrenalize and wall dodging. Also there's a new game mode called Bombing Run, which is like a futuristic soccer/football type game. I find this game quite enjoyable. And the graphics are just sick! The new physics engine adds to the game tremendously. Though if you don't have a Geforce4 type card or higher it won't be half as amazing as it really is.

Neverwinter Nights - This game's pretty tight as well. Though I'm not into RTS/RPG type games that much this one's pretty damn good.

Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault - A very popular MP game. Has more mission based games then the standard CTF style MP games.

There's also BF1942.

If you want something like Everquest, there's a new MMORPG coming out that looks promising, though I haven't seen more than some stories in PCGamer magazine, called Shadowbane. Anarcy Online is also in this neighborhood.

18. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    Shadowbane is more pvp-orientated, isn't it? Players can form Kingdoms and go to war with each other, seems less-restriced, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you like.

19. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i just got Natural Selection mod for Half-life. it combines RTS and FPS, it is realy cool. that is unless you have a crappy commander.

20. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Thanks everyone - your feedback is much appreciated.

I think I might give Battlefield 1942 a go because several people have suggested it.
    I'm still hot on the EverQuest idea, but seeing as I have a demanding job and hectic schedule with the sports I play I am unsure how much time I can dedicate to playing it. I certainly don't want to turn into an addicited online-gamer.

kudos to the fellow SCORCH players - an online version of that would rock :)

malkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.