main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's The Big Bummer in Episode 8?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by The Regular Mustache, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think you have to hand Rey some kind of moral defeat so that her inner self is threatened or confused (maybe Kylo defeats and almost kills her, maybe she has some reason to distrust or question Luke's methods), and you also have to have either Finn or Poe in real physical danger (captured etc) or even unknown whether one of them is alive or not. Those two things, plus the very apparent strength of Snoke and the sense that his grand plan is about to be revealed/initiated, will be enough to make the end of 8 dark indeed.

2. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I'd picture Rey being captured at the end of VIII since TFA already left Finn in a grey area of "Will he be alright?" And Poe will most likely be wrapped up in the Resistance plot for VIII dealing with Dern's character.
    Plus it would be nice to see Finn get a few more wins this time, and at least have somewhat of a happier ending than he did before.
    As for DR's comments in the interview, for all we know she could lose an arm, have a horrific revelation impact her, and then end up in Snoke's custody by the end. We don't know.

3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Only thing is that in TFA, Rey was captured and Finn, Han and Chewie helped her escape. So 8 should probably have Finn captured and Rey needing to do the rescue. But maybe she fails? Idk, or clashes with Luke who tells her not to go after Finn...just like Yoda told Luke not to go to Cloud City.

4. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Ah that's true. I guess what I meant was that it would be nice to see Finn shine a bit more than he did in TFA. Some people were disappointed by how his character was portrayed, and it would be cool for him to be more of a badass on his own for a bit and have more character development, along with some more personal wins.

Excuse Me likes this.
  5. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Rey turns to the darkside and helps Ren kill Snoke. In episode 9 Luke needs Finn's help to bring her back.

GregMcP and JoshieHewls like this.
  6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The big bummer will be that tickets for the premiere weekend will sellout months in advance. And I won't be able to go.

7. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    After Luke's hesitation to take the lightsaber, Rey decides to throw it at him. Taken by surprise, Luke fumbles it and it falls down the cliff to the ocean and it's forever lost.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think there will be some kind of shock or twist in the movie. It's something of a SW tradition.

9. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Ren loses a hand. Rey learns of her parents and its hard on her.

10. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    I see something like:

- Rey learns her parents are dead and gone.
    - Kylo turns Rey against Luke, using her anger over the fate of her family to convince her.
    - VIII ends with Rey choosing to go with Kylo to Snoke, who promises answers/revenge for what happened to her parents.

Having Rey having taken that step towards the dark side would be a good shock cliffhanger to end on, without resorting to another kidnap plot (since, as others have pointed out, Rey was already kidnapped in TFA).

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Resistance thinks that they have the First Order defested. Cheers, fireworks.

But then "General Organa! A fleet has come out of Hyperspace. Ma'am it's huge."
    Zoom in onto the main deck of a Super Star Destroyer. The commander is a familiar shade of blue. The Empire has returned from exile.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah no to Rey going dark. That'd be a terrible idea, and I don't buy that she'd join Kylo, at all.

13. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    What if to the characters think she's gone completely darkside.

But in the final moments, we the viewer, are privy that she plans to kill Snoke and defeat the FO from the inside.

nonesuch likes this.
  14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    maybe as a trick or manipulation of Kylo. She realizes her mistake too late. I watched 'LOST' series lately and have a kind of 'Ben' from this series in mind with Kylo/Ben lying to manipulate her. ;)

15. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

Interesting idea. Funny thing is, near the end of the run of Lost I actually thought favorably of Ben.

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Snoke is Jar Jar's son.:p

Jar-Jar Binks and nightangel like this.
  17. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah, but at the end of LOST, Ben was not the big bad anymore and there was a bigger bad 'Man in Black'. But Ben had done a lot of terrible things like killing Locke...so [face_dunno]this may be the same problematic I may have with a possible redeemed Kylo/Ben in the ST [face_dunno]

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Because I don't buy her falling for it. No, not interested in it in any way. And the whole "the others think that she's gone bad, but not really" sounds n better, and I don't buy Snoke falling for that either. Also we've already got this idea with Ben, there's not reason to do it with her. And the idea that she resist it while Ben could not, is much more satisfying imo.

Also it'd just make Luke look incredibly incompetent. Like the worst Jedi Master ever. So of all of his students:

-One, his own nephew no less, goes dark.
    -The others are slaughtered at the hands of said nephew, and Luke goes into self-imposed exile as a result.
    -He now has a second chance, and presumably has had time to ponder whatever mistakes he may have made with Ben. And yet he STILL cannot stop another pupil from going dark. Wow, he really stinks at his job.

Basically, Rey goes dark, or one of the heroes (not just Rey, but any of them) ending the movie being captured as a cliffhanger are two scenarios that I don't want to see, period.

Dark Horse and nightangel like this.
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    but what about a reversal and instead Kylo is captured by Luke and you don't know what he will do with him, since his intentions are not clear in 8? [face_thinking] This would at least open up discussions for the next 2 years until IX is out. [face_dancing]

20. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Benicio Del Toro's is going to try to kill Kylo when he captures Luke. Luke will help defend Kylo and will help him get away some how.

21. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    One thing I don't want to see is Rey's parents being emotionally crippling. This is one of the theories I've seen some support for but I just don't get it. Aside from completely mirroring Luke's story and being a bit predictable, I like that Rey is an optimistic and energized character. I actually don't want to see her emotionally damaged and I don't think it's necessary for her to have serious character development. It's been made very clear how much her parents mean to her and while I'm certain it wont be the fairy tale reunion she's been dreaming of, I don't think it has to be a nightmare scenario like Luke and Vader either. I know a lot of people thought she had things too easy in TFA and I admit we need to see some form of struggle either physically or mentally but I don't think this is the way to do it. In fact I'd rather see the identity of her parents spur her on further to complete her quest rather than watch her become full of doubt about her friends and family.

I think it's somewhat inevitable that Kylo Ren or Snoke defeat her in a duel. It would certainly be anti climatic if she beats Kylo once in all three films so either Snoke becomes a more prominent villain or they have to give Kylo some development I feel by making him defeat Rey.

If someone has to die then my bet would be Poe. This is just me being over indulgent but I think it would be very dramatic if during the fight against Kylo Ren, Poe comes in to blast him with his X Wing and Kylo Ren stops the blasts mid air and then uses the force to take control of the ship and crash it. We could see Poe have a few last emotional lines with BB8 telling him to eject while he can and it would also make Kylo a much more credible villain. Not only this, it would also really push Finn forward to perhaps mature a bit more and to become the real badass he has all the potential to be. While Rey's somewhat naive optimism seems to give her the strength to move forward and achieve anything, I feel it works in reverse with Finn, holding him back and making him scared. We already saw him overcome his fear a lot in TFA but I think seeing Poe die would make him focus and mature a little bit. If you couple this with a great victory in combat then I think Finn will become a great hero to watch.

22. StarVars

StarVars Jedi Knight

Nov 21, 2016
    Finn just can't make the rent with self-employment and he has to re-apply with the first order to pay off his credit credit cards.

Sum-Wan and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Oh, hoho, so many options! Here's some random bad endings that I think could be used to keep the audience hungry for Episode IX:

-On a Galactic level at the end of the film, the Resistance and New Republic put up an impressive fight, but fall to infighting... As does the First Order. Poe and co. have to deal with some faction of New Republic leadership that become totalitarian and paranoid, costing them a victory during a key battle. Some of the initially unaligned faction joins the First Order fleet under Kylo Ren, but he's gone full Macbeth after realizing how Snoke has manipulated him, seizes power and slaughters those who oppose his rebellion, kills Snoke, and now rules much of the Galaxy as a tragic villain with truly unstable emotions and a cruel, cunning, but shifting mind. The audience thus has some hope for the next film, because the overall First Order is reduced in its intial resources and there is now only one proper Knight of Ren thanks to Kylo and Luke killing the rest, but Kylo is now a mad dog with the upper hand and just enough maturity in mind to be horrifying.

- Rey and Luke have a contentious but seemingly improving relationship throughout the film, with it seeming like Rey is learning the ropes quickly of roughly, and Luke seems to be getting his groove back. It's unspoken, but we figure out that they are father and daughter, with Luke feeling he's barely worthy of being a master, let alone a father, and Rey fighting a confusing mish mash of anger and loneliness, with the result that neither is willing to embrace that relationship. At the end of the film, Luke fails in some way as a both a hero and mentor while Rey also slips, and it's the worst possible time. They are separated by Kylo's actions, with a desperate last moment where they try to confirm their relationship, but tragically neither can hear the other, perhaps because Rey is in an escape pod being dislodged into hyperspace or something. The audience knows they're related, and wants to see them bounce back, but now they're both trapped.

-Finn shows great success as a Resistance agent, maybe even starting a small scale mutiny among First Order ranks. During the major battle, he learns Rey is present and seeks her out, and they come within a hands breadth of each other, only for Kylo to achieve victory at that moment, turn his guns on Finn's recruits, and send Finn and co. plummeting to the ground of a planet the First Order is besieging.

We end with Rey lost, Luke struck silent by yet another nightmare he blames himself for falling upon him, and Finn hunted on a planet being bombarded by Star Destroyers.

24. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I mentioned this in another thread but here it is again;

Chewie goes down with his ship. Chewie sacrifices himself in the Falcon to safe Rey and Luke.

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Hux dies.