main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What's the Closest You've Ever Come to Death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 29, 2015.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This summer we had a very heavy storm here, first of its kind and severity in July - gotta love climate change.
    I was returning from some ill-fated journey and was drenched, carrying a broken umbrella, but I was nearly home. Ten feet from my house, an iron garbage can fell out of the sky. Two or three feet from my head.
    It had tumbled from a balcony three floors up. "Killed by garbage can". It would have been fitting, right?

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The ending to the Miami-Duke game last night. :p

Juliet316 and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Haven't really been close to death ( my own) that I know of. Guess I'm saving it for a big finish.

4. ojisan

ojisan Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2015
    just saw that... wow

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nearly drowning 2x in my early teens. One, caught in the beach undertow. Two, being jumped on in a swimming pool by another kid and we were tangled up in each other and I remained underwater for a little bit. Suffice to say, I've given up swimming unless I absolutely have to.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The Doc really should have told you that he needed to recalibrate that amp.

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I was helping my friend construct a vacuum-former (big plastic-forming machine) in a home-built pole barn. He tried plugging the thing in and I felt this painful buzzing sensation in my arm, and all my muscles seemed to freeze. I managed to pull away, and I told him the frame had shocked me. He wouldn't believe me, until he put an electric sensor on the frame and discovered that the full household electrical charge was running through it. He was like, "Huh, imagine that." Later we found out he'd wired up the pole barn incorrectly. >.< I credit my survival to rubber-soled shoes.

solojones and Sarge like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ABOUT THIS CLOSE. IT WAS PLEASANT.

9. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I almost hit a telephone pole last year and hit the guide wire instead.

Someone cut in front of me on icy roads, it was either rear end them or try and go around them, there was no one in the other lane so I attempted to go around her, my rear bumper hit hers and it was enough to slide the car to the right. Next thing I know the car is sliding towards a telephone pole. I managed to get some control after the car climbed the side walk. I turned the wheel to the right and wedged the car between the guide wire and the telephone pole.

Didn't realize I was on the side walk until I saw people walking around the car. It could've been worse but thank God it wasn't I managed to cause a minimum amount of damage to the car.

if I slammed on the breaks, I would've went spinning into oncoming traffic and I'm thankful no one was on the side walk at the time of the accident.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Had my drink spiked when 19. Needed an adrenaline shot to the heart; woke up 5 hours later in A&E. Told the alcohol and drug used to spike my drink was a near lethal combination.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Plane almost sink into the ocean when we were flying above of the Atlantic Ocean.
    I was 16 just graduate from high school.
    one motor failed and the other was failing. We almost touched water.
    I never going to forget. Some people were crying and others were praying.
    I can't handle long flights after that.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    My first asthma attack when I was 15. Ended up in the hospital for nearly a week.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I had pneumonia fall of 2005, and I had a scary allergic reaction to one of the medications I was on. Woke up covered in hives. I was very close to going to the hospital, but mom monitored me ever hour.

14. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Only been in a bumpy plane flight , apart from that no. My cousin in South Africa was 2 years old when he was in a cafe in then rhodesia where some one started shooting around..Him and his older siblings didnt get hurt though.

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    When I was a baby I was born with a hole in the heart and a damaged heart valve - I was given three months to live and my parents were told nothing could be done for me...

Eventually I was sent to Harefield Hospital and was operated on by the pioneering heart surgeon Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub - This is 1978 though so we're talking very risky, cutting edge, pioneering open heart surgery, not the relatively routine heart surgery they do these days with babies who have holes in the heart.

Anyway, at one point while I was in Oxford's John Radcliffe hospital (before I was moved to Harefield) I went into cardiac arrest, stopped breathing, etc... I had to be revived but for about minute I was technically dead.

So I guess that counts (even though I have no memory of course) ;)

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Animals hate you

17. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I fell off a cliff.

18. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I was a passenger on an airplane. A few minutes after takeoff, there was a fire in the cockpit. As they brought us down for an emergency landing, the plane was rocking back and forth.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Wish I had a nickel for every flight that ended like that when I was in the flying business. I really hated smoke in the cockpit; first step in the emergency procedure is to don oxygen masks, and I hate wearing those things. They never fit right and always leave your face sore for hours.

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003

The fear and confusion was compounded by the fact that they announced the situation in German and then in French. So the entire cabin was in a panic and I didn't know what was happening until the English announcement.

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003

The fear and confusion was compounded by the fact that they announced the situation in German and then in French. So the entire cabin was in a panic and I didn't know what was happening until the English announcement.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, cuz nothing calms people down like hearing strange voices speaking in German. :rolleyes:

What airline was that?

23. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure I told this story here before but one time I went diving and my BC blew out and I was strapped to a steel tank and I plummeted 60 ft and got mask squeeze. Don't panic. Breathe slow. Husband is a master diver and he'll rescue me. But the blood red eyes hung out for a month.

Sarge likes this.
  24. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    ^ Oh man that's scary. Yikes, I am not a water person at all.

When I was three, I was visiting relatives in Arizona and came down with a pretty nasty cold. Naturally, my mom decided to take my temperature. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but for whatever reason my mom still used a glass thermometer and I was a dumb kid so obviously I chewed on the thing. Then it broke, and I got glass shards and mercury all in my mouth, and even ingested some. I was rushed to the hospital and then my memory gets a little fuzzy. The last thing I remember from the event is sitting up in a hospital bed drinking some weird pink fluid.

The other distinct time happened in highschool. My friends and I were on a road trip and it was my turn to drive. We were on some narrow two-lane highways out in Eastern Washington, going about 80-85 mph. There was a truck in front of me that was just going slow enough to be annoying so I waited until it was legal to pass and tried to get around him. Either he sped up or was originally going faster than I thought because I suddenly had to put the pedal to the metal to get past him. Ahead of me in the oncoming traffic was a huge semi-truck that was a whole lot closer than when I first looked, and it was coming fast. The driver had the horn blaring. The smart thing to do would have been to slow down and get back behind the truck I was passing, but I wasn't smart so I still tried to get around him, even with death a few hundred feet ahead of me. Luckily, I passed him safely with just a few seconds to spare and the semi-truck went whooshing past without incident.

If I had swerved or hesitated even a little bit, if that semi-truck had tried to avoid my car, people would be dead. The worst part was that all my passengers were asleep, they would have never known what happened. Be careful when you drive, folks. Don't take stupid risks. Make sure you get your eyes checked for any depth-perception problems.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I let Charlie Sheen **** me up the ***.

Je suis Charlie indeed.

mrsvos and Mortimer Snerd like this.