What's the deal? (Author Related)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Master_Bumfluff, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Bumfluff Jedi Knight

star 1
    Is it just me or are we starting to see a bit of a pattern with using the same authors over and over again. After NJO we had Denning. Then Denning, Traviss, and Allston. After this there is Luceno (who may be the exception in this case), and then supposedly after this there is more Allston and Traviss.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy their books (mostly), but is there no one else that wants to write Star Wars Literature in this time period? It almost feels like Denning/Traviss/Allston have become THE Star Wars writers and that hardly anyone else gets a chance.

It would be nice to have a little more variety when it comes to the style of story telling.

Again I mean nothing negative towards these named authors.
  2. JaySkywalker01 Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe the continuity is just so bogged down, new people can't get involved.

Of course in the 90s, the same could have been said for KJA and others. Guess it just kind of fluctuates.
  3. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    Well, it depends on how cluttered each era is.

"New" ones like the prequels, the Clone Wars, and the ancient Republic have had more first-time writers. But anyone trying to pick up post-New Republic has to read and digest basically the entire Bantam ouput plus the NJO and now Dark Nest and LOTF. It's easier if you're already familiar with it.

Denning, Allston, and Luceno have been around for ages (respectively '89, '98, and '00) so they know what's what. Traviss is a relative newbie but she writes quickly and, for some reason, her SW novels sell absurdly well.
  4. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

There are pros and cons to this. Be that as it may, these aren't the days of old...
  5. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I miss Stackpole :_|

And when is Zahn going to give us another book?
  6. T-boy-wan Force Ghost

star 3
    I heard LFL and DR haven't contacted Zahn since before they killed Mara off without telling him. And killing Pellaeon and Jacen may have made things worse.

He and Stackpole won't write for the big series anyway because they're too dark.
  7. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I hope for all our sakes your information source was unreliable.

And I know Zahn won't write for the big series, he likes to play in his own house and won't go to someone else's. Stackpole was involved in NJO though, if would be great if these guys collaborated
  8. T-boy-wan Force Ghost

star 3
    Well the source is wookieepedia and I don't know where they got it from.

Stackpole did do NJO but he really didn't agree with killing Anakin and hoped that his Anakin scenes would persuade DR to change their minds.

I would love a Zahn/Stackpole series. They're continuity works so well. And they write about all the interesting characters.
  9. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    They have worked together before, but only on short stories. They alsohave dedicated books to each other.

Zahn is great for politics and his characters and action sequences, as is Stackpole. To have a novel done by BOTH of them would be a EU fan's dream =P~
  10. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There is at least one new author in the form of Karen Miller.

And it's not the authors that are the problem, it is the stories they tell. Too dark, too badly edited, too rushed and too little ambition involved in planning them. As long as things are like this, just adding new authors wouldn't act as a remedy for the ills of the novels.
  11. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    When I started reading Alliegance, right from the first page I knew that the eU would never die as long as we had masters like Zahn still willing to write novels. DN and LOTF disilusioned me greatly as I knew from the very start it was just somehting Del Rey had cooked up to grab our money.

I don't mind when SW gets dark, look at ESB, the darkest of all the SW films and yet the best of them. Why? Because the ending fills you with such hope, that despite the fact our heroes have been ground down to the dust, they are willing to get up, keep fighting and do whatever it takes to prevail.

Remember, half of day is night, to see clearly you must learn to see in the dark.
  12. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I guess you're not one of those guilty until proven innocent people, then, eh, Katana? :p
  13. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    No, unlike you Ex I happen to be an optimist.

FTR, I actually HAVE been on a jury :p
  14. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    Traviss, Reaves, Allston, Luceno, Denning...toss in a Stover now and then to add spice.

Drew Karpyshyn...but he seems to be getting raked over the coals.

Zahn had a couple books right in a row there (SQ,Outbound, Allegiance)...his absences tend to be sizable.

Perry? He's kind of like a dancing sprite...in and out, don't know whether to count on him as a potential source or assume he's gone forever.

In truth, I think this is something that LFL has wanted all along...a dedicated writing corp who will hopefully mold continuity to their collective will and keep it from falling off the wagon.

Now where that leaves previous canon is what we cope with now...but as it stands, these writers seem to be dedicated to providing pulp...seem somewhat involved with each other's developments and moreover, rather then having to count on holocrons or research, they can make a call if they have a question.

I think this was the desired direction since the late 90s...and especially since the DR contract and the NJO agenda.

Now the question is...are they succeeding...we've had about 5 years now since the end of NJO of this system. Is it working?

I think once Mindor drops, we'll have a much better idea...Falcon might shed a little light, but I think it's pretty well stocked and filed under "LOTF addendum" at this point.

I think with these new writers, LFL is attempting to forge a "updated" continuity, which will see the books of current clone wars/commando franchise play intricately with whatever stuff they make for Post-LOTF...and Mindor will be the linch pin to all of it.

Mindor is either going to bridge where continuity has been going in the Commando/Clone War stuff with the new Post-LOTF era, or it's going to embrace the "period" in which it is set and try to avoid such tie ins nonsense.

The first way is, I believe, the intention of having the cabal of authors.

The second way is, I believe, the only way I'm going to bother with SW anymore.

15. CoppiceThorne Jedi Knight

star 2
    I guess (for) any author (to start) writing SW novels is going to have to be pretty well acquainted with a lot of elements in this Universe, or if not has to quickly acquaint themself with a fair whack of it. It takes a lot of research to plunge into such a world and make it come off believably, to get the tone and other elements, right. Maybe there's a bit of trailblazing, but there's also a bit of fitting with what has come before it. It's probably not often they find someone that fits the bill. They don't grow on trees, I don't think. Not everybody being up to the challenge, or having the right writing style, or being able to write something by a certain deadline. There's probably a number of requirements, that occasionally happens to be found in one author, a bit like a lottery. Either that, or I'm on the wrong track. :)
  16. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
    QFT!

But I really like that bench of EU writers DR has. When I started the NJO I didn't know or pay attention to author's names for EU books. I started to as I realized the "art" of writing a good SW novel and how elusive it can be. It has got to be a very restricting playground for some as canon just keeps adding up.

Some authors seems to like referencing more than others, IE: Luceno, and others are more visceral and less fantastic, IE: Denning, and Allston with his nice blend of old style Bantam humor with the edgier, pulpier angle DR is now known for. Yeah. I'm actually happy with the EU writers. I didn't much like LOTF overall but I like the writers. I don't really understand the idea of having ultimatum with the EU at this point. I'd have jumped ship mid LotF if I was going to bail.
    I think DR is actually probably riding high with it's SW output. Many may hate the Bane and Mando novels but it all sells so what're ya gonna do?
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    As I pointed out in a similar thread- this pattern is nothing new. We're seeing a lot of Denning/Luceno/Allston/Traviss right now.

Well, in the past, we had a hell of a lot of KJA, then Stackpole and Allston, with others popping in and out along the way. It's just a cycle that happens in SW EU.
  18. Jedimarine Force Ghost

star 5
    I think the difference though today is it seems they are handing over a lot more to individuals.

It seems like they are pretty much handing the Clone Wars era over to Traviss...Denning got his shot with LOTF...Luceno is like a "closer" in baseball...Allston is the post film era man, Drew is the Old Republic Era man...Reaves is "minutia" stories, special interest pieces...and Stover is the ace...Zahn is the old vet.

They all have a "slot"...the expectations are prescribed...the anticipation, moderated by what I'm sure they hope is a comfort level brought about by familiarity, both for writer and reader.

Except...IT'S NOT WORKING!
  19. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Zahn told me (at one of the book signings) that they hadn't contacted him before deciding to kill off Mara. It was only after I and several others suggested that he contact DR that he found out - and only after he insisted on knowing. It wasn't very nice of them not to give him a heads-up at least.

He didn't say anything about it after the fact other than it was legally their character and they could do what they wanted with her but he didn't look happy about it, imo. (I had lunch with him and Stackpole at Dragoncon).

Stackpole didn't say anything about doing a big SW series again - at least to me. He was busy with his own books.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.