main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the deal with autograph coupons?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by tobywanben, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    MOTF-Jan,

I would be very interested in reading your "C3 on a budget" post! Any general tips, advice, etc. for Celebration newbies would be most welcome.

Lufta Shif

2. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I think they're giving out plain photos for free with your coupon. But,you have to pay and extra 5 bucks for a photo with the Celebration 3 "seal" on it. At least that's how I read it.

Oooooh. As long as the free photos are color, they can keep the C3 seal. I like how you read it much better than how I did. That'll teach me to read something while watching wrestling, playing online poker, and talking on the phone at the same time.

3. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    How I understood it was that they are just going to be selling extra photos if you want them not signed. I hope we don't have to pay $5 just to get the C3 seal.

4. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    When I first started reading this thread I was pissed. Charging people for an autograph? The nerve of them! Then I read all the posts. And now I can say that it makes sense. Everyone here has made a valid point and I have to say that I am really ok with having to pay. I did not really know about this, this is my first convention, so it kind of took me by surprise. It is an added expense that I was not expecting but the cost is pretty reasonable. Considering that you will be getting an 8x10 and maybe a couple of other things signed the price is not too bad. Most of the Carrie Fisher autographed photos from C2 Ventures run about $40 so this is a deal. So, I'll have to stand in line. Big deal, I'll make new friends. If I read one of the earlier post right it looks like they will be charging $10 and some will charge $20. Maybe they will have Mark there, or maybe Christopher Lee or Sam Jackson. That would be nice. Anyway, I'll be going with a little bit of a budget in mind but I still plan on having lot of fun. Hope to see some of you there...

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I personally wouldn't expect Christopher Lee or Samuel L Jackson to be there or signing autographs.

The line for Carrie Fisher's autograph at C2 was closed within an hour or two into the convention, since the line was already long enough last the entire day. So, don't expect to be able to get every single person's autograph and still be able to see anything else at the convention. On the other hand, most other lines were maybe 5-10 minutes long, depending on the person. For some of the smaller characters, there wasn't a line at most times.

6. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    I was only planning on getting certain signatures. I'll have to look at the list, when they release it, and see who is going to be there.

7. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    TK-2970, you and I share the same opinion. I first thought the same way about charging for autographs as you did.

Welcome to the boards! :)

8. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome DS. Getting the 8x10 signed will be nice but I am also bringing my Essential Character Guide, the updated one with AOTC characters in it, and I will have the celebs sign their respective characters page. By the way. what's the policy for taking photos in the signing area. I know others posted earlier that you could get a photo with the celebs when you get your stuff signed but what about just photos of them siging?

9. Drador

Drador Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    im still sorta confused? so you buy coupons, but are they all different prices? or are they all $10 and you can receive anyones

10. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    The coupons are all $10, but some autographers apparently can charge 1 or 2 or 10 coupons per autograph. [face_plain] I much prefer the one price fits all.

11. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Some guests will require 1 coupon per autograph, some 2, and so on.

"and so on"...

I would not be surprised if some celebs, like Carrie Fisher would cost three or four coupons. :(

12. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    That "and so on" is really ambiguous. I don't like that at all.

As for cameras, at C2 you could wander the autograph areas and take pictures as your items were signed or maybe celebs from a small distance. But do not expect guys with long lines to take pictures with you and if you do snap photos while they're signing your stuff, it is just common courtesy to ask. Some of the actors that had small to no lines were very nice and would take pics with you as long as it was not inconveniencing others in line.

13. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    man, now that makes me almost afraid of trying to go get autographs, waiting in like for a hour or two and then you get up to them and they are like 4 coupons please... and you only have one left.. thats about wrong. i hope someone that has influence over that reads this because thats just absurd. i can understand charging for their autograph cause if they didnt we could easily take it and sell it and make a profit off of them, fine, charge away but keep it all the same..

just annoyed.

14. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I'm sure they'll let people know ahead of time how many coupons are needed for each person.

I would be surprised if you'd need more than 3, and even then that would be for major players, like Fisher, Hamill, or Ford.

okay, I could see 4 or even 5 for Ford, but c'mon, it's Han! :p

15. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    yeah i might give up more than 3 coupons for an autograph of Ford. I think though im going for Bulloch, Hamill, and someone else, the wife wants me to get Natalie portman if she is there(she isnt coming in the con she is going shopping with her mom)

16. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    I would love a Ford autograph.

I agree with Intrepid. I like the sound of all one certain price. Mark Hamill charged $100 for autographs at EFF. That seems a little wrong.

Guess I'll need to get into the Fisher line first thing in the morning.

17. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    One hundred dollars for Hamill's autograph?!?!? Are you serious?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek: That's insane!!

I much prefer the one price fits all.

So do I!

18. Grand Admiral Strife

Jun 21, 2001
    He was charging $100 because he didn't want people turning around and selling them on eBay since he hardly ever signs SW merchandise.

I got a copy of Comic Book the movie signed by him last year when he was in NY. I forgot how much but I think it was like $30, including the dvd.

19. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Man, I miss the good old days. David Prowse for free at a local video store. Anthony Daniels for free at Dragon*Con '94. Kenny Baker, Jeremy Bulloch, Peter Mayhew, and Warrick Davis two autographs a piece for $5 each on a Men Behind the Masks tour.

If that red-headed model can get away with charging $20 an auto at most shows without ever having been in a movie, we'll never see free Star Wars autographs again.

20. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    <<<okay, I could see 4 or even 5 for Ford, but c'mon, it's Han!>>>

I thought Harrison did not do the conventions, I don't really ever remember seeing or hearing about him being at one. Would be nice if he was there though...

21. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    Especially C3, hE SHOULD ATLEAST DO A FEW HOURS WITH THE FANS.

22. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Harrison won't be there to sign autographs...I highly doubt he'd be there just to sit on a panel or two like Hayden & Tem did, but that's about the best you could hope for. Same thing with Portman.

If they don't normally sign autographs, particularly SW ones even when met by fans on the street, it's unlikely that they will be there.

23. Grand Admiral Strife

Jun 21, 2001
    I never said Ford would be there, I was just making a point about how many coupons for each autograph.

And just because the coupons are 10 each doesn't mean they have to take them. Carrie Fisher was there separate and wasn't under the C2 banner last time.

24. Drador

Dec 11, 2004
    this is so discuraging! I wish they were like 10 bucks each! I can remember when when they were 5 bucks each! arg

25. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    "Harrison won't be there to sign autographs...I highly doubt he'd be there just to sit on a panel or two like Hayden & Tem did, but that's about the best you could hope for. Same thing with Portman."

Yeah,I think stars like Harrison think they're too good to come to a SW convention,IMHO. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.