main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Whats the deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 4, 2012.

1. UseTheForceLady

UseTheForceLady Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    George Lucas in 2008
    Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

George Lucas in 2012
    "I always said I wasn't going to do any more, and that's true, I'm not going to do any more, but that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to turn it over to Kathy [Kennedy] to do more. I have story treatments of 7, 8 and 9 and a bunch of other movies, and obviously, we have hundreds of books and comics and everything you could possibly imagine. So I sort of moved that treasure trove of stories and various things to Kathy, and I have complete confidence that she's gonna take them and make great movies."

Just thought those two quotes were very interesting. Doesn't shed much light on what caused him to change his mind however!
    My take is that he was very disillusioned after the PT and at first decided that he would never do any more or let any more be made. As to why he chenged his mind...I have no idea!!

2. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    "Creative consultant" in this context doesn't mean much. Basically its an open door that is there so that George is never really, permanently separated from SW. You can pretty much bet that any input he has now will be of an informal nature, almost 'honorary', but that the real decision-making has now passed to Katherine Kennedy and more specifically the creative people she chooses to headline the films.

I've seen a lot of people on the forums who seem to be clinging to the idea that George is still 'top banana' in some way. But he isn't. And I think the video he made with Kennedy made it seem as if he's very happy that the responsibility is no longer on his shoulders. I think George has passed some very loose treatment ideas on which may or may not form the general skeleton of the sequels. Basically...and this is blowing my mind (and the mind of everybody in Hollywood, I can assure you)...is that Star Wars is no longer a George Lucas thing. The Era of Lucas has passed on. It will always be there...but its over.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's sort of sad, in a way.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    George has done things what all of us combined couldn't do a 10th of. I am glad that he is allowing the Saga to continue. People should be rejoicing that he is leaving this in capable hands. Peace, D

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    GL isn't the "top banana", no, but again, KK specifically asked him to be there for her, so she's not left completely alone with all of this. That's why he is on as creative consultant. She'll be contacting him whenever she feels the need to do so. That need will undoubtedly fade over time, though. EpIX will likely be made with very little, if any, involvement from GL. He will happily sit back and watch as the trilogy comes to a close.

George is happy - I am, too
    /LM

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he'll be most involved with Episode VII.

7. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Do you think he knew if Disney had the rights that would do it with it with out him so he rather be a part of it then just hand it off.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'd be glad if Lucas was involved in some way. The guy is a creative genius, and it would only help and not hurt the franchise if he did.

9. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    I have a strange feeling that George Lucas is dying. I hope it's not true.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    He is a creative genius, but he's creates better when he has people over him that can keep him under control. Something he had with the OT, but didn't with the PT.

Ewokes is another example. With ROTJ he had more control than ever before. We should have had Wookiees, instead we got Ewoks.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  11. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Yes I thought that when I first heard the news :(