main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's the deal with Starkiller Base?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_BDO, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_BDO

Darth_BDO Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2015
    So I was reading this article (http://collider.com/star-wars-7-trailer-analysis-starkiller-base/) and they said something about the Starkiller Base being a weaponized PLANET......

Is it just me or does this sound like the dumbest idea ever? Planets don't move....so what's the point of weaponizing one? Is this really a serious theory? And if it is, what am I missing here?

2. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I have no idea. Hopefully the explanation will be good.

themuzikman likes this.
  3. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    I thought the same thing at first. Well, I guess, I still do. The fact that the planet would take forever to get in firing position.

Imagine the last act of ANH, except the whole time the Death Star was moving into range took about 200 days... Then they miss the shot and have to wait another 24 hours to get another chance... Although, maybe this planet has a much faster orbital time than Earth...

4. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    Maybe it's used for defense purposes rather than mass destruction like the death star.
    It only protects the planet.

Darth_BDO likes this.
  5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I clicked on this expecting Seinfeld riffing on TFA.

themuzikman likes this.
  6. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    Well the weapon, which is built into the planet, can still move on a hinge. Also, maybe the position of the planet is strategic within the galaxy. Much like militaries looking to take control of particular sea ports, this planet may be within striking distance of influential planets.

7. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003

Yeah, but assuming this weapon hits, it destroys a gigantic star. It's probably worth the trouble since that makes it more powerful than the Death Star.

Functionally, it does sound very limited, but I'd imagine it's only designed this way out of necessity. While they have a pretty big army, I don't think the First Order has the resources or the reach that the Empire once had. It probably needs to be a planet because it might need to draw energy from the planet's core. Or, they hollowed out the planet because they didn't have the ability to construct the apparatus to hold the device.

Plus, it probably doesn't miss.

8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  9. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.