main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Whats the deal with Tatooine & hiding Luke there?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Wouldn't that just draw attention to himself, though? I mean, if a bunch of people start being killed by the Empire for seemingly no reason, I would think that has the potential to draw attention as much as it could help Vader to protect his identity.

What I mean is, Anakin Skywalker was a galaxy-wide hero. A poster boy for the Clone Wars. It seems kind of pointless and counterproductive to try to erase his history and backstory when he's famous and well-known. Better for Vader to appear and not give a crap about Anakin Skywalker's history any more than any other single Jedi, I would think.

Andy Wylde and SithStarSlayer like this.
  2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Star Wars fans NEVER have to worry about this, we don't pose a potential threat to the Empire, so we don't need to be hidden from them. We don't use the force.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    You would not be able to hide from anything, because you guys obviously don't know how to do it :D

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm hiding from you right now Captain... come find me.:p

QFT.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  5. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    So, who is looking for the kids again?

The supposed dead guy who's not dead but mostly dead but still alive?

The new ruler of the whole entire Galaxy of thousands of planets?

Oh thats right...no one is looking for them! But just to be sure, lets put them in seperate places (hide) to ensure no one will find out there true identity.

Ok Bail, you take the girl and put her in the spot light as a senator (real issue). Obi Wan, you take the boy to the "dead guy's" step brother on the most remote planet in the entire galaxy where the people who are there could give two craps about you and watch over him (non issue).

If that's a true believer then so be it. I'll gladly take that.

(edit: removed pot shot because I'm better than that as a "true believer")

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Insulting someone, and then editing it in such a way that you are still making it clear that you want to insult someone, is not being "better", it's being a [Removed. Don't do that again.] Just saying...........................

See, I come right out and say it

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  7. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    [Don't retaliate.] There is no plot hole, just you being argumenative because you're obviously bored.

prove me wrong

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    [Removed. This is the last warning for both of you. Knock it off.] Sx3

9. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    So does the novelization ever make it clear exactly how "good" Anakin, as perceived by the average citizen of the Republic, is supposed to have died?

I guess it could get lost in the fog of war, but he's last seen on Coruscant sacking the Jedi temple. People will have seen it. I doubt they know about the events on Mustafar, but Anakin has publicly flipped, betrayed the Jedi, and murdered dozens/hundreds/thousands of Jedi including children. So much for his poster-boy hero status. And then he just simply disappears from the public spotlight.

At the same time some dude in a black suit appears out of nowhere and is at the Emperor's side. Just as Anakin was seen to be, in public (e.g. the opera).

I think people would be smart enough to jump to some conclusions. Plus you've got the troopers who know what happened.

If Vader ever did decide to wipe out all links to Anakin Skywalker, Luke would be dead in an hour because he's half-assed hidden in a stupid place.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope. Other novels have discussed the "official story" and Vader has, on one or two occasions, claimed to have killed Anakin.

SithStarSlayer and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  11. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'd have to look over the novelization -- it's been a while since I've read it.

As to the general population, I never got the impression that people would have seen him marching on the Temple. A column of clones, maybe. But Anakin was hooded and cloaked and I doubt the public would have been able to get to close enough to even get a hint of (let alone verify) his identity. Also, given that the Jedi Temple was the headquarters of the Generals in charge of the war, I get the feeling that (unfortunately) members of the general public wouldn't be allowed near it -- it's not a museum.

Plus, given that the Jedi were declared traitors and all killed (as far as the public knew), I doubt there would have been a public inquiry into Anakin's "death."

People wouldn't jump to any conclusions because they wouldn't have information. And the troopers knowing is hardly a problem -- it's not like they have friends and family outside the military to talk to. And they don't strike me as the type to disobey an order.

And, truthfully, I see no reason for Vader to ever decide to wipe out all links to Anakin Skywalker. You want a hint to his identity? There it is -- if he starts murdering everyone that Anakin Skywalker ever knew, that'd be a pretty big giveaway of who he was. Not to mention an utterly pointless endeavor, given that a lot of people (notably, politicians like Palpatine) are high-profile targets. Bail Organa, who knew Anakin, certainly wasn't killed, for example.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think that anyone knows the connection between Vader and Anakin outside of the Emperor, Kenobi, Yoda and eventually Luke. Tarkin and a few of the inner circle of the Emperor may know as well. The average person wouldn't know.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Bail Organa knew.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Perhaps.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, he certainly knows (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, makes that clear). In the movie- he is the one that rescued Yoda. Twice. And the one they give Padme's daughter to. Seems plausible enough that Yoda & Ben talked about the events of the last day or two with him, before deciding he could be trusted with Leia.

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Malorum knew.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Qui-Gon knew as a Force Ghost as well.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right. And thats the beginning of the end for Malorum.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    If you count EU stuff, although I guess a force ghost would know EU or no EU

20. butlerd

butlerd Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    According to the EU (Dark Lord) I believe that Bail knew about Anakin/Vader and Vader almost met his wife and baby Leia but got pulled away to hunt a Senator on Alderaan

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't count EU, so there is going to be some disconnect there for me.

I see it as Lucas has his six film story, and then we have all this other stuff over here on the side, and they are not the same

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why wouldn't Bail know about Anakin? He saved Yoda twice and was there for the birth of the Twins and Padme's death. You honestly think that he would have let them go without being told the whole story?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there is much to base an opinion on when it comes to that one way or the other.

Not from the films anyway. I'm not saying he doesn't know, it could go either way

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If the Jedi Order was destroyed and I had to rescue Yoda twice and saw that Padme had twins and then died, I would demand answers.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    A person can demand answers and still not get them. They may have told him the whole truth, part of the truth, none of the truth, or some combination of truth and lie. You can't say with certainty what he knows when it comes to Vader.

At least not from a films only perspective.